How to set user location?

Introduction to the forum software and its feature. You can use this for test postings. This is not a boating forum
Qtrmeg

How to set user location?

Postby Qtrmeg » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:32 am

I see that some people have their location showing but I don't see how to set that in my forum profile. Is it because I need to have more posts before some features are available?

jimh

Re: How to set user location?

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Visit your profile. [Removed link that did not always work for all users].

Enter your location in the text field for LOCATION.

Qtrmeg

Postby Qtrmeg » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:42 pm

Your link didn't work but I have no problem getting to my User Control Panel, I just don't see where I have the location setting. I know where I should see it, I have cleared cookies and logged out, and re-booted. I think I don't have the permission to have that option.

I am just a registered user so you won't see what I see in the Control Panel, because you probably have [more access]. You may not have changed the permissions but have you changed the registration rules since you brought the site online? I probably didn't fill out every single thing while registering, and maybe that is why some people can show location and I can't.

Then again, this wouldn't be the first time something was so obviously in my face I couldn't see it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:40 pm

You may have to participate in the forum by posting a few more articles to get out of the "newly registered" user category. That category restricts access so spammers can't register and get all-access. Post another reply in this thread to see if your "newly registered" status is eliminated. I think once you have made at least three posts, you will be able to edit your profile.

The link to EDIT PROFILE is a bit obscure. When you view your profile, it appears as underlined text, indicating a hyperlink, just to the right of your username in the middle of that profile page.

Qtrmeg

Postby Qtrmeg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:34 am

Yay, making 3 posts did the trick. Thank you.

longline

forum

Postby longline » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:29 am

I am an older guy and I know older people don 'like change BUT this new site seems AWFULLY convoluted to me

Spinnaker

Postby Spinnaker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:13 am

Although I've been frequenting this site for years, I too am a newly-registered user trying to set my location. Based on Qtrmeg's experience, I am going to make a few ministerial posts in this thread. Please excuse these. Thanks.

Spinnaker

Postby Spinnaker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 am

I can report success.

jimh

Re: forum

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:45 am

longline wrote:I am an older guy and I know older people don 'like change BUT this new site seems AWFULLY convoluted to me

I resisted changing the forum software for about 20-years, but it was no longer possible to find a host that would permit the old software to be used due to security concerns. The old software was written decades ago and did not provide robust security against hacker exploits, so no hosting companies permit its use.

In any case, you seem to have figured out how to make three posts to MARKETPLACE. I look forward to your further contributions to the information collection here.