ICOM IC-M605 VHF DSC Radio

VHF Marine Band radios, protocol, radio communication theory, practical advice; AIS; DSC; MMSI; EPIRB.
jimh

ICOM IC-M605 VHF DSC Radio

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:46 pm

ICOM are introducing in Europe a new VHF Marine Band digital selective calling (DSC) radio designed model IC-M605.

ICOM_IC-M605.png
New ICOM VHF Marine Band Radio
ICOM_IC-M605.png (69.01 KiB) Viewed 14884 times

ICOM calls the IC-M605 radio a "premium class with system flexibility." It appears to be intended for installation on larger vessels and to integrate with multiple remote control microphone-speaker stations. Up to three RM-M600 COMMAND HEAD or HM-229B/W COMMANDMIC remotes can be attached, creating remote control and intercom functions. Clearly this feature won't be likely to be needed on smaller open boats, but could be very useful on large motor yachts. The RM-M600 COMMAND HEAD duplicates the entire front panel of the actual radio.

A departure from the usual screen on a radio is the 4.3-inch diagonal color liquid-crystal thin-film-transistor display. The display can shift between daylight and night modes, can show the radio operating screen, the radio set-up menu, a mini-chart plotter of AIS targets, and a tabular listing of AIS targets. The display also creates four soft-key functions for hard-buttons below the screen in the user interface.

The IC-M605 incorporates its own AIS receiver, and individual DSC calls to AIS targets (without having to manually enter their MMSI) can be initiated from the radio screen. There is also a built in audio recorder that automatically stores the last few moments of receiver audio output for playback and review.

There is a 12-digit keypad for easy entry of data like MMSI numbers. A large rotary knob is used for channel selection and data input confirmation, and there is a dedicated quick-jump to CH-16 button. Volume and squelch are provided on one knob. Screen navigation is accomplished with four cursor keys and an ENT button. A MENU, CLEAR, POWER ON-OFF, and DISTRESS button complete the front panel controls.

The radio is supplied with the following accessories:

--speaker-microphone hand mic, HM-205RB
--microphone hanger
--DC power cord
--mounting bracket kit
--GNSS antenna UX-241

The rear panel of the radio is filled with nine connectors and a power cord:

--radio VHF antenna
--GNSS antenna (i.e., for an active antenna, not a separate receiver)
--rear panel microphone connector
--NMEA-2000 network connector
--NMEA-0183/HS connector
--external speaker connector
--(3) remote COMMAND HEAD or COMMANDMIC connectors

ICOM_IC-M605_RearPanel.jpg
Rear panel of ICOM IC-M605 radio
ICOM_IC-M605_RearPanel.jpg (20.86 KiB) Viewed 14872 times

With so many electrical connections on the rear panel, this radio does not seem likely to be mounted in an open space, for example, on the center console of a small boat; there are just too many cords and connections likely to be employed. Flush mounting is more likely, although the radio does come with a mounting bracket.

The radio receiver and transmitter have excellent specification, particularly for sensitivity and resistance to intermodulation. The communication radio is rated -5 dBμ emf (or 0.28 μVolt) for a 20-dB signal-to-noise-and-distortion (SINAD) ratio, and the AIS receiver is rated -3 dBμ emf (or 0.35 μVolt) for a one-percent bit error rate (BER). The radio speaker audio output is capable of an astonishing 15-Watts; there is also a 30-Watt hailer function.

The dimensions of the radio are shown in the drawing below:
ICOM_IC-M605_Dimensions.jpg
Dimensional drawing of ICOM IC-M605 radio
ICOM_IC-M605_Dimensions.jpg (33.68 KiB) Viewed 14856 times

More details are in a PDF file of the IC-M605 brochure from ICOM, available at

http://www.icomuk.co.uk/getFile.asp?categoryID=3508&cCID=19192&fFID=244

No word on price nor on when the IC-M605 may be available in the USA. The product will need FCC approval before it can be offered for sale here. A preview of the radio was made at the METS trade show in November.

msirof2001

Re: ICOM IC-M605 VHF DSC Radio

Postby msirof2001 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:12 pm

When I sold my 1995 Whaler 21 OUTRAGE and got the Everglades 295cc in mid-2017, I decided to go with this exact radio, the ICOM IC-M605 VHF DSC. On the Whaler, I had a 1995 President by Uniden and that was fine. This ICOM radio is in a whole other world in comparison.

I purchased an 8-foot Comrod VHF antenna to go with it. It is probably [excessive] for a 29-foot center console boat, but, when on the ocean, I like to err on the side of safety, quality, and reliability. I love the quality of the display, that is shows AIS targets, and the speaker's sound. To have controls on the microphone is nice. I have it flush mounted. I'm very happy with this unit.
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.