VHF Antenna Height

VHF Marine Band radios, protocol, radio communication theory, practical advice; AIS; DSC; MMSI; EPIRB.
Striper15

VHF Antenna Height

Postby Striper15 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:42 pm

An article about VHF Marine Band antenna height on the Sportfishing Magazine website states: “As a general rule, antenna height should be less than half the length of the boat.” I always thought that the higher the antenna the better. Why should you limit the height?

jimh

Re: VHF Antenna Height

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:20 am

You are correct: higher antennas give longer range at VHF. There is no “general rule” to limit antenna height other than the practical aspects. There may be a practical limit to antenna height based on the size of the boat.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:19 am

The VHF antenna height on our 190 Montauk is approximately 16 feet above the water. The antenna is mounted on top of the console. It is made up of an eight foot mast topped by a four foot stainless steel whip. The antenna is largely made up as suggested in a reference article on this site.

The mast is mounted with a stainless steel ratchet mount which allows the antenna to be lowered while trailering or when stored. In the lowered position the mast rests on top of the RPS. The whip is easily removed and is stored in the RPS when the assembly is lowered. The mast is made by Shakespeare and the whip is made by Digital. A 1/2 inch thick piece of Starboard Marine Lumber is used as a backing plate inside the console. The system has been trouble free for about eight years.

The range is exceptional for such a small boat.
Butch

Striper15

Postby Striper15 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks, guys. I think I will do a setup similar to the one Butch describes.