9-footer Value; Horsepower Needed

A conversation among Whalers
Albert Jr.

9-footer Value; Horsepower Needed

Postby Albert Jr. » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:51 pm

I know of a 9-foot Boston Whaler boat that has been sitting at the same place for years. I assume the owners wanted to use it for fishing but nothing ever came of it. I thought [the 9-footer] would make a nice project to restore and sell.

I currently have a Mercury 4-HP outboard engine (that needs a new impeller). Will this be enough power to push [a 9-foot Boston Whaler boat]?

If I do get a chance to buy the boat, for how much will I be able to sell it?

jimh

Re: 9-footer Value; Horsepower Needed

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:06 pm

The specifications for the Boston Whaler TENDER 9 are listed in the REFERENCE section article that gives specification and dimensions for many Boston Whaler boats. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tions.html

You'll find the maximum recommended power is 5-HP.

Albert Jr.

Postby Albert Jr. » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:16 pm

jimh wrote:The specifications for the Boston Whaler TENDER 9 are listed in the REFERENCE section article that gives specification and dimensions for many Boston Whaler boats. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tions.html

You'll find the maximum recommended power is 5-HP.

Perfect, thanks a lot :)
Now for how much will I be able to sell it ?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:23 am

I doubt there is much demand for a 5-HP 9-foot hard tender these days. In the small sizes favored by sailors I almost always see inflatables either towed or hanging from aft davits. On the larger power yachts I see a lot of newer 130 Sports and a few 160 or 170 Dauntless resting in chocks on foredecks or boarding platforms. On the largest power yachts tenders are often seen in chocks on the upper deck behind the fly bridge.

I believe it's been close to twenty years since I've seen a nine foot Boston Whaler and it was on a trailer and for sale without an engine but with a nice set of wooden oars and bronze oar locks. Perhaps they are more common in areas with a lot of sailing yachts such as Annapolis, MD.

Butch
Butch

JRP

Postby JRP » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:44 am

In the Annapolis area, you would be hard pressed to find anyone using a' Whaler TENDER 9 as a tender. They are far too heavy too tow or to lift on deck.

A comparable-sized wood-fiberglass composite dinghy would only weigh 80-90 lbs, would have abundant carrying capacity as well as form stability, would be capable of taking a 5 hp outboard, would row like a dream, and would usually have an option for a sail rig. I am not trashing the 9' Whaler -- it is probably a neat little boat in its own way -- but there are many reasons why it would not make a desirable tender and that is why you rarely see them being used for that purpose.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:52 pm

As a tender, the Boston Whaler TENDER 9 model has one big advantage over inflatable boats: durability. The Unibond hull of a TENDER 9 will outlast an inflatable boat by many times. But, as mentioned, the inflatable boats have much more utility and are more desirable.

If there were still a market for a 9-foot Boston Whaler hull as a tender, then you'd think Boston Whaler would still be making a similar boat.

Albert Jr.

Postby Albert Jr. » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:26 pm

I realise that the 9 footer was designed for use as a tender but most people here (Curacao) are fisherman.
You'd be surprised what they'll use to go fishing. I've seen some fisherman grabbing the shell of an old seadoo and using it as their boat.
I hope to keep the price a bit lower for their sake but I'd also like to get a nice profit out of it.
Others might buy it for their kids because of the lower price.

Now my dad and I bought the engine for $100.
If I can get the boat for $200-$500; I'd see no problem selling it for a grand.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:10 am

Heb een heel veel geluk om dat voor $1000 of voor 1000 NA gulden te verkopen.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

contender

Postby contender » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Do not bother with the Boston Whaler 9-foot boat. It is unstable and only holds about 450-lbs. I had a 4-HP on one and it was okay, but because of ethanol the [carburetor] jet would get blocked all the time. I sold the 4-HP [and] got an 8-HP. The the boat would porpoise all the time and was unsafe. I got rid of it. I would only use [a Boston Whaler TENDER 9] as a row boat on a small pond. Do not waste you time with this size Boston Whaler hull.

petewentsailing

Postby petewentsailing » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:52 am

I've had a different experience than some of the other posters with our Tender 9. We have towed it and picked it up with davits, and as long as your gear can handle the weight, no problem. First power was Merc 8, then Suzuki 15. A fin on the motor took care of the porpoising, and it runs 25 MPH with the 15. Never a worry about tube damage, like an inflatable, when dragging it up on a beach or leaving it at the dinghy dock. It's stable, and unsinkable. Sure it's small and heavy, but still a cool little boat. Good luck with your project.