Mercury JOYSTICK PILOTING

A conversation among Whalers
Chasvalve

Mercury JOYSTICK PILOTING

Postby Chasvalve » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:33 pm

Getting the itch to move up to a 280 or even 320 Outrage: how is the experience with the Mercury JOYSTICK PILOTING option? Do [boats with JOYSTICK PILOTING] operate as easily as they appear?

220 Outrage
250 Verado
220 Outrage
250 Verado

Jefecinco

Re: Mercury JOYSTICK PILOTING

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:18 am

Handling is a very personal and subjective subject. Before accepting anyone's opinion on this or that boat with or without the joystick feature I would recommend you personally sea trial the boats in which you are interested.

Handling in tight quarters at low speeds is critical if you will be keeping your boat in a slip. In the 32 foot size it is almost a given that the boat will be in a slip or lift. The 28 foot range is not quite as much a given but highly likely.

Handling at cruise and higher speeds is also critical. You don't want to make an inadvertent sharp and sudden turn at WOT. I wonder what happens when you're cruising and the joystick system fails. I'm guessing joystick equipped boats have wheel steering for backup and/or high speed operation??

I'm sure any Boston Whaler dealer would be happy to let you test the feature if they have a stock boat available. If not, perhaps you can locate a generous owner who will allow you to test a boat.

If you do a search at veradoclub you may find some more information. A net wide search may also provide some reliability information.
Butch

jimh

Re: Mercury JOYSTICK PILOTING

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:59 am

Brunswick calls their low-speed differential thrust steering feature JOYSTICK PILOTING. I am sure it works very well with the VERADO engines, and particularly on Boston Whaler boats. It is inconceivable that Brunswick would allow their premier brands of VERADO and BOSTON WHALER to not have the best possible instance of JOYSTICK PILOTING. There is unlikely to be any better integration of JOYSTICK PILOTING.