Montauk 17 Waterline and Splash Well Drains

A conversation among Whalers
RogueII

Montauk 17 Waterline and Splash Well Drains

Postby RogueII » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:40 am

I inherited a 1987 Montauk that sat unused for years with water in the cockpit, and the transom drain tub had frozen and thawed and broken, allowing water to enter the foam, I'm sure. When I replaced the transom drain I left it out and dried the area as best I could. The transom wood was dry and foam in the area also seemed dry to the touch.

I have cleaned up the boat, and, aside from crazing and spider cracks on the deck, it's beautiful and draws compliments wherever she goes.

With my 2000 Johnson 90 (319-lbs) the splashwell drains are at and below the waterline, submerged pretty much all the time with one-inch-or-so of water sloshing around the splashwell. Battery is in the console.

I'm not super worried, and I have checked that [there are] no holes and cracks in bottom of hull. Also there are no transducer holes on transom. I recently pulled motor bolts to confirm those holes are dry: they are.

Is [having the static water line of a 1987 Boston Whaler MONTAUK 17 be above the engine splash well drains] common? Aside from pulling the deck off, I assume my only option is to live with it?

Thanks!

jimh

Re: Montauk 17 Waterline and Splash Well Drains

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 pm

I would not worry about having one-inch-or-so of water in the engine splash well when your MONTAUK 17 boat is in its static trim and no one is aboard.

You cannot "pull the deck off" a Boston Whaler MONTAUK boat. The deck is part of the hull. You would destroy the mechanical integrity of the entire boat if you undertook that project.

RogueII

Re: Montauk 17 Waterline and Splash Well Drains

Postby RogueII » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:18 pm

Jim,

I meant cut it open and reglass it after digging out wet foam -- I've done plenty of glass work but have little interest in that project.

I will leave as-is for sure. I only leave this boat in the water 3 weeks a year.

On a related note, I've ground out enough stress cracks on my Mako to know 99% of them are surface level only. However, I have a few hairlines on the inner transom where splashwell meets transom and a few crazing areas on the deck -- especially where midship deck meets bow platform.

I'm assuming these are common with this vintage Whaler? I've googled around and know about the "green line" cracks etc. Mine are more minor.

Thank you!