Towing with a Subaru Outback

A conversation among Whalers
LCnSac

Towing with a Subaru Outback

Postby LCnSac » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 pm

I won't often [tow a 150 SPORT with a Subaru Outback]; I have a good tow vehicle. But I will want to on occasion.

My 150 Sport weighs about 1,700 lbs.

The Subaru Outback has the 3.6-liter six-cylinder and towing capacity is 3,000 lbs. I'm not concerned about pulling the trailer; I'm concerned about stopping it. I don't have surge brakes on the trailer.

To anyone with a Subaru Outback or similar vehicle with experience towing a similar boat, or a classic Montauk 17 which would be of similar weight: can advise on the stopping safety? Thank you.

Phil T

Re: Towing with a Subaru Outback

Postby Phil T » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:27 pm

Do a search here and on the archives.

I recall reading threads from Jeff (Rohlfing) who used one to tow his Newport.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:35 pm

According to the website at

http://www.towshop.com/trailer_suppleme ... g_laws.htm

"Most manufacturers recommend trailer brakes if the trailer and load weighs 1,000 pounds or more."

Some state law may require brakes. Compare at this nice compendium of state towing laws:

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

LCnSac

Postby LCnSac » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:45 pm

jimh wrote:According to the website at

http://www.towshop.com/trailer_suppleme ... g_laws.htm

"Most manufacturers recommend trailer brakes if the trailer and load weighs 1,000 pounds or more.

I know and I'm a couple hundred pounds over the law. I can pass it off as 1500 I'm sure, not worried about the legality as much as the actual stopping power.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Check the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the tow vehicle, in this case the Subaru.

The GCWR is the maximum weight of the tow vehicle plus the loaded trailer, equipment, passengers, fuel, and anything else you plan to haul or carry. If you exceed the GCWR you will probably have insufficient braking power.

LCnSac

Postby LCnSac » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:24 pm

I'm having a hard time finding tha GCWR for the 2016 Outback. What I did find on the door panel was a maximum interior capacity of 900 lbs. So, taking the curb weight of 3,814 lbs, adding 900 for the cargo, plus 3000 for the towing, give me about 7,700 lbs which I assume is close to the GCWR. I think we're at most 5,900 lbs so we're well within the limits, however, I did find some fine print that says the 3,000 lb. towing capacity is with brakes, 1000 lbs. without brakes, so we're right there maybe 200 lbs. over the max GCWR with the total weight, assuming a maximum towing capacity of 1000 lbs. I understand the two calcuations are different regarding stopping, but what it tells me is I'm on the edge of safety.

Edit: After reading Jim's helpful link--I thought I knew the law so I didn't read it until now--it looks as it's a boat trailer I'm legal in CA: Every trailer coach or camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.

Other than Idaho and maybe another state or two, CA, being typical of herself, has among the most restrictive towing laws. Note that Boston Whaler does not even offer trailer brakes on the Sport or Montauk line until the size exceeds 17'.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:02 pm

I towed many thousands of miles with my Forester XT 5spd pulling my 17 Newport. And it wasn't just an empty boat. The car was usually loaded with 2 Adults, an infant, 2 dogs and all the gear the goes with 2 Adults, an infant and 2 Dogs for a 4-7 day Vacation . The boat was then Loaded 2 bikes, strollers a kids pull behind bike trailer and all of the boating gear too.

The car did just fine. You'll have no problems towing a 150 Whaler. The one thing I did do for the car was to upgrade the brake pads and rotors. I used Ferro Carbon Hawk HP "High Temperature rated track pads" and power slot slotted rotors.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (254.09 KiB) Viewed 17520 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (254.39 KiB) Viewed 17520 times
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

LCnSac

Postby LCnSac » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:41 am

Jeff, thanks, that's very encouraging. I have yet to try it, but now I'm intrigued and must take the boat for a ride behind the Outback.

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:26 pm

I tow a Dauntless 15 (probably similar weight) with a 2007 Ford Crown Victoria which on paper has a 1,000-lbs tow capacity. I barely feel the boat back there. Before this, I towed it with a V6 Camry station wagon: felt the boat back there. We have a 2015 Outback four-cylinder with a 2,700-lbs tow capacity, and I wouldn't hesitate to tow my boat with it.

Deewazz

Postby Deewazz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:16 pm

I towed my 2001 Dauntless 16 with my 2005 [Subaru] Impreza Sport--the Little Outback. Towed it for more than three years. Never once felt stopping was anything out of the ordinary. Granted, it's no dragster, but the tow rating in 2005 per my dealer was 3,700-lbs. Seems a bit much, and the dealer didn't mention surge brakes or electric braking at all.

mutiny

Postby mutiny » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 am

Jeff wrote:I towed many thousands of miles with my Forester XT 5spd pulling my 17 Newport. And it wasn't just an empty boat. The car was usually loaded with 2 Adults, an infant, 2 dogs and all the gear the goes with 2 Adults, an infant and 2 Dogs for a 4-7 day Vacation . The boat was then Loaded 2 bikes, strollers a kids pull behind bike trailer and all of the boating gear too.

The car did just fine. You'll have no problems towing a 150 Whaler. The one thing I did do for the car was to upgrade the brake pads and rotors. I used Ferro Carbon Hawk HP "High Temperature rated track pads" and power slot slotted rotors. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Nice Foz! We've got an 2004 FXT and I'm here poking around to figure out how much boat we can look for that the FXT can tow, that would also be decent for near shore cruising on Lake Ontario. I was thinking the 13' Whaler, but now you've got me thinking we can look at the 15 footers as well. It does have 153K on it though. Ours is the 4eat but we can probably add a tranny cooler-although we likely wouldn't be towing more than 10 miles from the house to the launch. We've already got drilled and slotted rotors (Power Stops).

Were you in boost much towing? We've also got an 2005 XS (NA) that could function as the backup tow vehicle, but I'd rather use the XT.

Our (XT) Forester:

dburton

Postby dburton » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:42 pm

Not to be a smart ass, but if you are worried about stopping a trailer without brakes, why don't you just add brakes to the trailer?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:44 pm

Adding brakes to the trailer: a great idea. They will be much less expensive than a new tow vehicle or a brake overhaul on the Subaru.

dgoodhue

Postby dgoodhue » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:54 pm

I tow my classic 15' which is lighter than your 150 sport with my '12 Legacy 2.5i. I am with Jim if you are concern about the brakes, I would add trailer brakes. The 3.6R engine that you have has larger brakes than 4 cylinder 2.5i as well.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:53 pm

I pulled my 2008 Montauk 150 with a 2009 Nissan Rogue (4-cyl 2.5l CVT AWD) and had no problems stopping it was a little slow getting up to highway speed but I don't see a problem using your 6-cyl Outback. We just bought a XV Crosstrek and for short <15 miles distances would not hesitate to pull my 1750 lbs 2008 Montauk 15.
Like said before when in doubt add brakes to the trailer or upgrade the towing vehicle's brakes. You are pulling a load so compensate for braking distances. That 18 wheeler takes a lot longer to stop than the Porsche.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:45 pm

LCnSac wrote: I know and I'm a couple hundred pounds over the law. I can pass it off as 1500 I'm sure, not worried about the legality as much as the actual stopping power.

This is my main concern, and for that, I usually go with the manufacturers max recommended towing weight. BUT, I do NOT go to the USA web site for a particular manufacturer, as it has almost always been filtered through "legal", and reduced significantly from what the vehicle was actually engineered for. For the actual weight it was safely engineered for, go to the Subaru web site from Australia/New Zealand/UK, or any of the western European ones like France, Italy, Spain or Germany, if you are handy with those languages. Those countries do not permit frivolous law suits and the manufacturers feel free to print the towing capacity that the vehicle was actually engineered for, unfiltered by a skittish legal department.

As an example, there are quite a few cars where the USA web site says, "towing not recommended", when the Australia or UK web site, says, "towing up to 1000Kg" (which is over 2000lb).

-Peter