OUTRAGE 18 v. GTX 18

A conversation among Whalers
Georgiaguy

OUTRAGE 18 v. GTX 18

Postby Georgiaguy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:45 pm

[Notes that there are] two [18-foot Boston Whaler boat models] a GTX and an Outrage. They are listed [somewhere by someone] as the same weight and size. Tell me the difference. Are they valued the same? [Will] restoration [be] the same? [Describe how to tell a GTX from an OUTRAGE by sight.]

Rods&Cones

Re: OUTRAGE 18 v. GTX 18

Postby Rods&Cones » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:30 am

Same hull but the GTX has an board while the Outrage has an outboard. Don't buy the GTX those inboards are junk.

sraab928

Re: 1985 18 BW

Postby sraab928 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:00 am

GTX was available as Sterndrive and Outboard. The difference between the Outrage and the GTX is primarily the interior. The GTX is a bow-rider style pleasure boat with two consoles and the Outrage is a center console. The Outrage will have a higher market value than the GTX.
Scott
1971 Boston Whaler Outrage 21 - under restoration
1974 Boston Whaler Revenge 21

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:20 am

For more information about the Boston Whaler GTX 18 see the CETACEA collection, PAGE 26:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetace ... age26.html

Many prior discussions about the GTX 18 can be found with this search inquiry;

I doubt that the GTX 18 and OUTRAGE 18 are the same weight. The GTX 18 contains a great deal more interior components and is probably about 150-lbs heavier, if not more.

The difficulty of accomplishing a restoration of an older Boston Whaler boat is mostly determined by the present condition of the boat, not by the particular model of the boat.

The value of a used older Boston Whaler boat is mostly determined by its present condition, the engine, the trailer, and the included accessories.

The present day market demand for a particular model is likely to be strongly related to the historical demand. When boats were in production, you can base the market demand for a particular size and model on the number that were built and sold in that era. For example, if a GTX model were more in demand than an OUTRAGE model, one would anticipate that when they were being produced there would have been more GTX models made than OUTRAGE models. In this particular instance, there were probably 1,000 OUTRAGE models made for each GTX model made. I recommend you base the present market demand on this historical market demand.

When buying a used Boston Whaler boat, I recommend you make your selection based on your own preferences. If you think you would prefer to own a GTX 18 instead of an OUTRAGE 18, you should follow your own preferences.

Georgiaguy

Postby Georgiaguy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks guys, This is great information. I consider my self a newbie. I always loved boating and fishing and even had a small fishing boat with Johnson 15 back in 1967. As a 16-to-17-year-old it was freedom. I went in the Army in 1972; owned a couple boats for short periods but moving around so much I could not keep one, and Army pay was not great.

I am retired now and have considered buying a 1985 OUTRAGE 18 center console; one is for sale in my area, Georgia. The boat is in fair shape but the 150 Evinrude is probably not fixablel a mechanic would have to check it out. It is on a decent trailer but needs some TLC, new wiring, lamps, and tires. I can probably buy it for around $4,000 to $5,000

If bought, it would need to be restored and another motor. As I said, I am a newbie to boating and repair. I am fairly handy but would hesitate to enter into a rebuild. I would have hire someone to do it for me.

Where would I find a place and a person to rebuild [a Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18 boat]? And about what would be a reasonable amount to expect to pay?

I would love to have this type of boat, but I am unsure if I could get it done or if I could afford it. Is this a something I can accomplish or want to dive into?

Any thoughts are appreciated--Georgiaguy

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:57 pm

Unless you have a really big wallet, you cannot afford to hire someone to do all the restoration work for you. You'd be much better off finding another boat. The only people that hire-out all this work are very wealthy people who want to restore some old family-owned boat their great-grandfather had and they used as a kid.

There are plenty of used Boston Whaler boats that do not need a dramatic refurbishment; look for one of those. Yes, you will pay more than you would for a boat needing a total makeover, but in the long run you will be ahead in the amount invested.

Boston Whaler c.1988 OUTRAGE 18 boats are in very high demand and tend to sell very fast. They usually would go for a lot more than $4,000.

For more advice about buying a Boston Whaler classic hull see my article on the topic at

Buying Classic Boston Whalers
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html

To learn more about repair and restoration of classic Boston Whaler boats, browse the archive of REPAIRS/MODS from our older forum. See http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldFor ... Index.html

If you now have changed your interest to an OUTRAGE 18, see the REFERENCE article on that model at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/18Outrage/

Georgiaguy

Postby Georgiaguy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks for the advise, I was actually expecting such an answer. My knowledge base and adult experience has been in the science and medical fields. Rebuilding/repairing a boat is something I will learn by trial and many errors. I will invest more time in looking. Tks again Georgiaguy.

Georgiaguy

Postby Georgiaguy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:08 pm

Thanks for the advise jimh

Boats are a special lure to me, I love the water and fishing. I don't have big wallet but I have taken a bit of a plunge and bought a boat that does not require as much of a rebuild (I hope) it did cost more but I think I do this work ---- its 1985 BW 18 outrage hull. It appears to be a solid boat even if it is 30yr old boat. It does not appear to have been an abused boat But I can tell that the repairs it has had used bits and pieces that were not intended for marine use.

It is going to need some work but I will learn as I go. It will need some minor to medium fiberglass and gel-coat repair. The electrical set up is old but does mostly work. Transom is in solid shape and motor has not been run for a couple of years but is under 100hr. The trailer is in fair to good shape --- it is a tandem aluminum trailer with no obvious corrosion -- rollers, tires and carpet boards appear solid (I will know more when I get the boat off and inspect closely).

I plan on addressing the motor first. It does not appear to be in bad shape I will inspect and repair any obvious problems --- clean/replace plug -- fog the cylinders -- change fuel filter and gear oil -- flush the water pump maybe put some kind of lub to soften things up -- empty and clean the gas tank --- check out the hoses -- put in a water tank and see if it will start.

I am going to continue with this on another thread and name it 1985 18 outrage rebuild I will need some advise on how to address problems as they come up.

Hopefully I can draw from the experience of the group and come out the other side of this with a boat I will be proud of.

Tks Georgiaguy