2016 Montauk 150 Owner in Jacksonville

A conversation among Whalers
GreginJaxFL

2016 Montauk 150 Owner in Jacksonville

Postby GreginJaxFL » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:14 pm

[I] live in Jacksonville, Florida and have had many boats, up to a 37-foot SeaRay. [My new 2016 Boston Whaler 150 MONTAUK] fits in the garage. I could not be more happy.

MarineMax should have [my new 2016 Boston Whaler 150 MONTAUK] ready by this weekend. [MarineMax is] installing a permanent 22-gallon fuel tank, Smartcraft gauges, and Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 before delivery. I have owned a 150 Sport and loved it, but I need a more fishing vessel. I fish the St. Johns River and it creeks. I frequently take the boat to Amelia Island and St. Augustine on the weekends.

Anyone here from Jacksonville?
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

Mambo Minnow

Re: 2016 Montauk 150 Owner in Jacksonville

Postby Mambo Minnow » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:05 pm

I just moved back to Jax last year. There are a few others in the area that post here.

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:32 am

Good to hear from you Mambo.

What areas do you fish?
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Even though a lot of people think our Montauks 150 are small they are great little boats especially for what you plan to do.
I fish quite often with even 3 people and it still works. Two people is perfect.
After the run in let me know your performance especially with the Smart gauge(s) installed.

I too came from bigger boats and we love the versatility of this smaller, trailerable, garaged boat.
Happy boating.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:07 pm

I currently own a Montauk 190 and I am seriously thinking of down sizing to a Montauk 150. It's a more manageable size for me to handle, easier to wash and tow. If I get up the nerve to sell the 190 I will definitely look into the 150, just have to convince the wifey that it's a good idea!

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:50 am

Dutchman wrote:Even though a lot of people think our Montauks 150 are small they are great little boats especially for what you plan to do.
I fish quite often with even 3 people and it still works. Two people is perfect.
After the run in let me know your performance especially with the Smart gauge(s) installed.

I too came from bigger boats and we love the versatility of this smaller, trailerable, garaged boat.
Happy boating.

Thanks for that reply.

I do mostly river and Intercoastal. 15' is fine for me. Had my share of large SeaRays that needed new manifolds after 300 hours of service. They are right and it was a good day when I unloaded that vessel.

I will never own anything that has to be hung or stays in the water again. The Montauk 150 will fit nicely in the three car garage and with the ramp in the back yard, I am in the St. Johns in minutes. Most the time it will be just me and at times a guest fisherman.

I am having Marine Max replace the existing tach with the smart gauge that shows more information like hours, water temp, etc. It fits in the same hole.

Hoping they have it ready for this weekend, going to West Marine to buy the usual that I swore I would never buy again! --I laugh aloud--!
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm

I had a Dauntless 15 that I used to fish the inshore down around Sisters Creek, but my family of six outgrew the boat. Now I mostly cruise from Green Cove Springs up to the Jax Landing. Some good trout fishing south of the Acosta bridge and striped bass at the Doctor's Lake bridge in the fall/winter.
GJKT entrance fee of $300 is too steep for me to pay for family to fish; we can go out of Mayport for kings in the summer offshore anytime.

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:04 am

Mambo Minnow wrote:I had a Dauntless 15 that I used to fish the inshore down around Sisters Creek, but my family of six outgrew the boat. Now I mostly cruise from Green Cove Springs up to the Jax Landing. Some good trout fishing south of the Acosta bridge and striped bass at the Doctor's Lake bridge in the fall/winter.
GJKT entrance fee of $300 is too steep for me to pay for family to fish; we can go out of Mayport for kings in the summer offshore anytime.

I did the Kingfish thing one year and will never again.

Way too many boats with crazy people. Never doing that again!

I will also fish for the Kings in August. Have not tried the stripers in Fl yet but fished for them in the lakes around Atlanta for years when I lived there. Still boatless but that is to be cured this weekend. Likely will not get on the water till next weekend and will spend the week getting all set up.
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Greg I'm jealous as you are in such a great boating area with always something different to see and do.
Enjoy that 150.

Ferdinando from 190 to 150 will be a shock why not go to the Montauk 170 or an older Montauk 17 and still be able to garage it and handle it by yourself. Don't get me wrong I love my Montauk 150 but 40% of the time I wish I had the 170 with the larger 90 HP motor and better seating and room for 4.
EJO

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Dutchman wrote:Greg I'm jealous as you are in such a great boating area with always something different to see and do.
Enjoy that 150.

Ferdinando from 190 to 150 will be a shock why not go to the Montauk 170 or an older Montauk 17 and still be able to garage it and handle it by yourself. Don't get me wrong I love my Montauk 150 but 40% of the time I wish I had the 170 with the larger 90 HP motor and better seating and room for 4.

I looked at the 17 and thought hard about it. Even had confirmation on the fit in the garage but 90% of the time it is only me in the vessel and owning a 2015 Sport 150, I know what I am getting. My problem with the Sport was having to constantly crawl over seats and coolers where the Montauk is walk around. The 15 is fine for me.
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:19 pm

I thought about the 170 but it's just a tad to heavy to tow with my wife's Rav-4. The reason for the down size is also to get rid of
my pick up truck for the 190. I know going down to a 15 is iffy but it's mostly me alone and maybe my wife once in awhile.

I was thinking I could use the boat a lot more then what I'm using the 190 as the up and down when I have to wash it it getting to be a pain. The 150 can be washed down from the outside without doing all the climbing! Anyway I may give it a few more months and see how it goes before I decide to sell the 190.

Fred

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:11 am

Fred,

I know exactly what you mean about the 190 Montauk. It's a wonderful boat but in my mid-seventies it takes a lot of effort to care for it properly. I stupidly sold a really nice Dauntless 16 to buy the Montauk. The Dauntless was a perfect boat for single handling and for fishing with two. We fished three but that was inconvenient due to the narrower beam.

I think if I was fishing Coastal Puerto Rico I would prefer the ride and handling of a Dauntless 16 over a 150 Sport. The Dauntless has a huge fuel tank for a 16. If I remember correctly it holds 40 gallons if range matters.

If you think a Dauntless 16 (or a 160 Dauntless) may be well suited for your needs look for one powered with a 115, hopefully one without too much weight. Mine was powered with a 115 HP Evinrude FICHT (a V4) and a four blade propeller. With two people standing behind the RPS the scuppers would allow a little water to come in. The performance was so extraordinary that wet feet once in a while was acceptable.
Butch

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Butch

Thks for the pointer, I'm exactly in my mid sixties and it's a bear to take the 190 out for a day and then get back and clean it down, it's starting to wear me down and getting it in the water by myself is also a pain. As I said I will sit it out for now but I'm pretty convinced that I will be downsizing in the very new future!

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:32 am

ferdinando wrote:Butch

Thks for the pointer, I'm exactly in my mid sixties and it's a bear to take the 190 out for a day and then get back and clean it down, it's starting to wear me down and getting it in the water by myself is also a pain. As I said I will sit it out for now but I'm pretty convinced that I will be downsizing in the very new future!

Me too. Mid sixties here and at the end of a long day I am glad I had a 15' boat to wash and garage and not a 19 footer.

There is a huge difference.
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:24 pm

By the way I am really being convinced about down sizing by Butch and Greg, my next question for you 150 owners is can I purchase it without the baitwell in the back????? Takes up to much space and I don't use live bait for fishing! I absolutely hate my baitwell on my 190, always did, but I could not purchase it without it back in 2008.

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:33 am

ferdinando wrote:By the way I am really being convinced about down sizing by Butch and Greg, my next question for you 150 owners is can I purchase it without the baitwell in the back????? Takes up to much space and I don't use live bait for fishing! I absolutely hate my baitwell on my 190, always did, but I could not purchase it without it back in 2008.

The bait well on the Montauk 150 is an "add on" option. One that mine did not have and agree that it takes up too much space. I am not a live bait user so the extra room is welcome.

I pick my new Montauk up today. Only thing left to add is a good trolling motor and glad mine came prewired for it. Need to do some homework on these devices as I have not had one in a long time and things change.
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:24 am

Good luck Greg on your new boat, photos when you can!

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:27 am

ferdinando wrote:Good luck Greg on your new boat, photos when you can!

Thanks ! Just talked to Marine Max and now they say tomorrow. Ordered the wrong cable for the smart gauge!

I will be glad to get my boat away from Marine Max so I never have to see them again. I have never seen so many thing go wrong with a delivery.
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Fernando
My 2008 Montauk 150 came with the "fishing" package which consisted out of Console-mounted rod holders (4) a Cooler (36 qt) with cushion seat and console mounted backrest and 2 Tackle drawers it does not include the bait fishing well. The bait well is another option that is not in all Therefore I had lots of room in the aft which I filled up with a 128qt cooler that I use for my Lines, 6 PFD's, 2 Fenders, etc., storage and foot rest when reversing the pilot seat or use to sit on. You can see it in the picture behind my son who's driving.
https://goo.gl/photos/qvnBchszjvNPaD4b9
I can still walk around the RPS and all boating essentials are nicely stored and in the event I have 6 people on board they all can sit comfortably.

Greg hopefully you'll be boating this weekend.
EJO

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:04 pm

Great looking boat and it does look roomy enough. I have called my local BW dealer here in San Juan and asked for pricing for a new 150, $27,000 dollars which I find kind of steep. I am pretty sure I can get close to what I paid for my 190 in 2008 as my boat is a perfect 10 with a E-Tec 150 on the transom. If I do manage to sell it I would think of going to the states and buying a slightly used 150 which is no more then 3 yrs old and ship it over here.

Let's see what happens but I'm pumped up to make the plunge!

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Dutchman wrote:Fernando
My 2008 Montauk 150 came with the "fishing" package which consisted out of Console-mounted rod holders (4) a Cooler (36 qt) with cushion seat and console mounted backrest and 2 Tackle drawers it does not include the bait fishing well. The bait well is another option that is not in all Therefore I had lots of room in the aft which I filled up with a 128qt cooler that I use for my Lines, 6 PFD's, 2 Fenders, etc., storage and foot rest when reversing the pilot seat or use to sit on. You can see it in the picture behind my son who's driving.
https://goo.gl/photos/qvnBchszjvNPaD4b9
I can still walk around the RPS and all boating essentials are nicely stored and in the event I have 6 people on board they all can sit comfortably.

Greg hopefully you'll be boating this weekend.

They just emailed and are washing the boat now. I will pick up at 9am in the morning. I, too will be putting a large yetti cooler in the rear for storage purposes mostly and the foot rest thing sounds good with the seats reversed. Wish it were not so hot as we are near 100 today and over that tomorrow. Need to skip past August and go right into September! (vbg)
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Yes, last 2 weekends too hot for me to truly enjoy boating. Spring and fall seasons are the best here!

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:31 am

Mambo Minnow wrote:Yes, last 2 weekends too hot for me to truly enjoy boating. Spring and fall seasons are the best here!

As badly as I want to take my new Montauk out, I want it to be an enjoyable time also. Will spend the next weeks getting it ready and hope for an early Fall.
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Yes, nothing turns off the family members to boating than a bad first experience!

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:54 am

I can't believe you Floridians complaining bout the weather.
yes 100 and high humidity is not that great but hey you're surrounded by water when on the boat and therefore can jump in and cool off.
He the water here in Michigan just hit finally 75 deg.F after many hot days, pretty soon it will drop down to the 60ies and before you know it will be hard and we can't no longer boat.
Enjoy your year-around boating we envy you guys down in Florida.
When you do decide it is finally "cold" enough to go boating give us a report.
EJO

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Dutchman wrote:I can't believe you Floridians complaining bout the weather.
yes 100 and high humidity is not that great but hey you're surrounded by water when on the boat and therefore can jump in and cool off.
He the water here in Michigan just hit finally 75 deg.F after many hot days, pretty soon it will drop down to the 60ies and before you know it will be hard and we can't no longer boat.
Enjoy your year-around boating we envy you guys down in Florida.
When you do decide it is finally "cold" enough to go boating give us a report.

I pretty well boat year round but in the dead of summer the heat is more than I care to put up with. Love the other seasons including winter. Less people on the water makes winter boating fun.

I have family in Wildrose Wiscosin and I do not think your water ever warms up!!! About time it gets warm, your winter starts again. DO LOVE the snow machines, had the best time last winter for two weeks. Temps foretasted to only hit the low 90's this weekend, might get out if time permits.
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:12 pm

I also might get out, assuming it does not rain. Not going to complain about rain, as my lawn really needs the good drenching!
A new microbrewery just opened with dockside amenities in Mandarin!

GreginJaxFL

Postby GreginJaxFL » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:54 am

Mambo Minnow wrote:I also might get out, assuming it does not rain. Not going to complain about rain, as my lawn really needs the good drenching!
A new microbrewery just opened with dockside amenities in Mandarin!

I hear you on the rain. We need it badly.

I live on Goodby's Creek and have a ramp in the back yard. This new Brewery is just down the creek from me. Had no idea it was opening this weekend. I will have to check it out.
Greg in JaxFL
2016 Montauk 150

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:22 pm

My daughter just had a road race Saturday morning at First Place Sports, near Goodby's Creek but I did not think to look for the brewery. It rained on Sunday, so I did not get out on the boat.

SLR

Postby SLR » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 am

Greg
Did you get your 150? How do you like the options you got? Did you mount a trolling motor? How do you like the ride and overall performance of the boat so far. Looking to purchase the same model and would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Greg and while you're reading this can you give us some Smartgauge feedback. What is your fuel useage, what is your WOT speed, etc.
Another month before I get the boat out here in the North, but by that time I'll be spending some time just North of you on Jekyll and Cumberland Islands.
EJO