Yankee Voyager

A conversation among Whalers
floater

Yankee Voyager

Postby floater » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:14 am

I saw this add and I was wondering if it was actually made by Boston Whaler?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorb ... nFlag=true

Jefecinco

Re: Yankee Voyager

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:14 am

It certainly looks like a Boston Whaler to me. It has some Whaler-like features. It has a fairly spartan look with minimal graphic trim, the upholstery looks Whaler-like, the OMC stern drive has been used on Boston Whalers in the past (I think) and I've read the Yankee Voyager name on this web-site in the past. Why don't you have a look at the Reference pages?
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Check the HIN to see if the MIC code is BWC.

Boston Whaler made some boats like that, but they bought the design (and probably the molds) from another New England boat builder who was making that model previously.

floater

Postby floater » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:24 pm

I can't check the HIN as it's only an add I came across. Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:24 am

That is an original Boston Whaler Yankee Voyager. Whaler bought these hull molds from Hi-Liner and produces a few hulls and then sold the molds to one of their dealers, Nauset Marine.

These hulls actually have a ride quality that is like a Bertram of the same size. How? Well the the Hi-Linner 222's (what later became the Yankee Voyager) were designed by Raymond Hunt.

The Hi-liner 222's came in a number of configurations. Sportsman, Gypsy, Adventurer and Swinger. It was the Gpysy model Whaler decided to make the Yankee Voyager. Why, I do not know...the Sportsman and Adventurer were much better looking boats.

The one in the ad you have linked to has been for sale for 2 years now and has gone from $10,500 down to $5000 Canadian. That boat is the most preserved Vankee Voyager I have ever seen on the market. For a collector, it is a steal...

http://geoffdevine.com, has these Hi-Liner flyers....
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:48 am

I never noticed this before: the lines of the Hi-Liner SWINGER model have a very close resemblance to what latter was produced as the TEMPTATION by Boston Whaler.

Yes, that YANKEE VOYAGER looks like a good deal, if you are interested in a sterndrive boat with an OMC drive and a Ford engine. I suspect that combination might be a bit rare these days, and finding a good mechanic for them would be a concern. But the price is almost irresistible.