Very proud of my Whaler

A conversation among Whalers
acg123

Very proud of my Whaler

Postby acg123 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:10 pm

I just wanted to share a great experience from this morning. I had spent 4 days as a family lakefront camp in Central Maine. This morning I needed to bring my boat (1991 Montauk 17 ft) back to the marina where I launched it. While we've had 3 beautiful and calm days, today was very windy, and there were 3-4 foot waves with white caps across the whole lake, and they were on top of each other. (Not like 5' ocean waves that are 5-10 feet apart.) I had to boat into the wind. I previously owned a 1971 13', which would have made for a wet trip. With the Montauk, I wasn't sure how it would do. I am proud to say I made it back completely dry. I am almost worried that it gave me some extra confidence to go out in rougher ocean waters than I normally try. Either way, I only saw a couple other boats on the lake, and that had wet clothes and very pale faces! In the end, I am proud of my very capable Montauk!

Oldslowandugly

Re: Very proud of my Whaler

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Boy, talk about a trial by fire! That's the hard way to learn about these boats. They are super though, aren't they? I put my 15 footer through stuff that my other boats would have rattled my teeth out. I have even taken a green wave or two right over the bow and she just shrugged it off. Now you know why people are fanatical fans of these Whalers.