Orientation of Boat In Hurricane Conditions

A conversation among Whalers
howlingdogsteve

Orientation of Boat In Hurricane Conditions

Postby howlingdogsteve » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:53 am

Hi all. I live on the south shore of Long Island. Our canal is a few canals north of the Great South Bay. The canal faces East-West. I can't pull our 170 Montauk out of the water before Hermine. I do have mooring whips. Which way should I point the boat: east or west?

Thanks so much and good luck to all--Steve

Tom Hemphill

Re: Orientation of Boat In Hurricane Conditions

Postby Tom Hemphill » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:31 am

The wind is forecast to be from the northeast, so I would face the boat toward the east.

NMak

Postby NMak » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:21 am

Agree with Tom, bow to the east. Possibly pull the plug if you expect heavy rain.

Norm

howlingdogsteve

Postby howlingdogsteve » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks guys. Bow to the wind makes sense.

Battery is fully charged for the bilge pump. Any other reason to pull the drain plug?

Also, outboard up and out of the water or down in the water?

Thanks again.
Steve

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:09 pm

In the event of very heavy and prolonged rain, the operation of the sump pump may drain the battery, the pump will cease to run, and the boat will begin to fill with water. A lot of free water in the cockpit can cause instability that could lead to a capsize in high winds. Consult the owner's manual for advice on handling the cockpit drains when the boat is to be left in the water and unattended for long periods of rain. I'd rather have two-inches of water than two-feet of water sloshing around in the cockpit in hurricane force winds.

howlingdogsteve

Postby howlingdogsteve » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks Jim,
Boston Whaler Owners manual makes no reference to prolonged in water storage at all.
Back to my other question - motor out of water or in water? Is either more stable or generally better?

Thanks so much.
Steve

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:44 am

I'd orient the engine so the hull had the lowest center of gravity and the least pitching moment; I would assume that would be with the engine tilted to an operating position. The only concern might be for a situation in which the boat broke loose from its mooring and went aground; you'd probably want the engine tilted up then. On the other hand, if the boat broke loose and the engine was tilted up, it could also be damaged by contact with above-the-water objects, too.

I found a copy of the 170 MONTAUK owner's manual on-line at

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphi ... ochure.pdf

and, indeed, it seems quite silent on the subject of how the hull drains should be handled if the boat is to be left unattended in the water for long periods. It seems to presume that all water that accumulates will be handled by the electrically operated sump pump. Perhaps the cockpit scuppers will drain the cockpit without allowing much water to accumulate in the sump.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:40 pm

I am on the western south shore of Long Island. I am okay with my [boat's] stern into the wind because if the boat breaks free I want the bow to get pushed against the dock, not the motor. I doubled up on all the lines, shut off the battery and pump, and pulled the drain plugs. I was afraid that if a tree downed the power lines I would be at the mercy of the limited battery power. I've seen other Whaler boats fill with rain water because the owners did not open the drains. A regular Nor'easter' can do that. And of course now it looks like we will get no rain at all.

Don SSDD

Postby Don SSDD » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:42 pm

The best place for a boat in a storm is on a mooring if you have that option.
Don
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia