170 Montauk Forward Pedestal Seat Base

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

170 Montauk Forward Pedestal Seat Base

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:59 am

The 170 Montauk Forward Pedestal Seat Base is Boston Whaler Part 1947982 as used on the 170 Montauk. I'm trying to determine if this seat base would be a fit on the anchor locker bulkhead on our 1981 13 Sport. It has probably been an option on other Boston Whalers.

If someone has access to this part I would like to have the dimensions. A photograph would also be helpful.
Butch

Jefecinco

Re: 170 Montauk Forward Pedestal Seat Base

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:47 am

I'm surprised not to have had a response to this post. I'll have to see if our Gulf Shores MarineMax has one I can examine. If not here perhaps the much larger Pensacola store will have one.
Butch

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:35 am

I doubt Boston Whaler makes this and instead purchases it from Wise, Attwood, or some other aftermarket manufacturer, so I would go to their websites and look at the dimensions listed for a seat that will fit the spot you have in mind. It will probably be quite a bit less expensive if you buy it from a source like defender.com instead of a dealer.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:03 am

I agree that Boston Whaler procures this seat pedestal mounting base from an after market supplier. Unfortunately my numerous searches for the base have been fruitless.

Because the base, or seat vertical support mount, is designed for bulkhead mounting vs deck mounting it is less widely sold. It's simply a rectangular plate with, I believe, three or four holes drilled along both sides and a tube welded along it's long center line. The tube is to accept the seat "stanchion" or support tube to elevate the seat. If absolutely necessary we can have one fabricated.

When we bought the Sport 13 a previous owner had added cleats around the interior perimeter of the anchor locker to which he screwed an unsightly plywood cover. He mounted a fishing seat base to the plywood cover. This rendered the locker useless for it's intended purpose and was ugly. We recently tossed the cover and cleats and replaced them with a nice bit of varnished mahogany. The original "hold down eye" was found still securely riveted to the floor of the locker.

We would like to have a forward fishing seat, however, so in an attempt to keep our 13 "almost correct" I want to mount the new seat in a manner consistent with other Boston Whalers. Various searches indicate some early 13s with an aluminum pipe style mount on the back of the locker bulkhead but I prefer stainless and a mount that will fit the modern "pin" style seat supports.

We have a long way to go on our 13 to get it as right as possible but are enjoying the journey, so far. It will never be perfect because we want to be able to use it comfortably but we want to remain true to the spirit of the classic design.
Butch

jim40

Postby jim40 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:16 am

If you are looking for a 3/4-inch-pin-type [seat] base, Sue at Twin City Marine has them. I just got a painted one two weeks ago from her. They can also be purchased in stainless steel. The cost is $90 for the painted base and about $140 for the stainless base. [Twin City Marine] offers a backing plate for $60. The backing plate was out of stock, so I went to a local fabricator and got one made for $5.

[The home-made backing plate] is 1/4-inch aluminum approximately 4-inches wide and 6-inches tall--the same size as the seat mount itself. I drilled my own holes. I primed the back plate with white metal primer from a spray can. I painted the home-made backing plate with Krylon Epoxy white, an appliance paint that you can get anywhere.

I am putting this [seat base] on a 2001 Sport 13. To fit the thickness of the bulkhead I needed stainless steel, threaded 1/4-20 fasteners that were 4-1/2-inches to 5-inches long, plus washers and nylon locking nuts .

I also mounted a very similar [seat base] to a 2008 Montauk when I bought it new, and before Whaler even offered it as an option. I got that part from "The Outboard Shop" in California.

Hope this helps.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:13 am

Jim--that's very useful information. Thank you.
Butch

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks to James Lucas (jim40) I now have a photograph and contact person to obtain the seat pedestal base.

Continuouswave is an irreplaceable resource and our owner and primary information source has done a wonderful job of creating, organizing and policing the site. However, our many contributors are the greatest asset of all.

Thank you to all.
Butch

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Jim,

I hadn't considered a backing plate. How did you get the backing plate into position? Also, when you referenced Twin City Marine, were you referring to this outfit in RI: https://www.twincitymarine.com/?
Finally, do you have any photos which you could share of the pedestal mount and seat installed?

jim40 wrote:If you are looking for a 3/4-inch-pin-type [seat] base, Sue at Twin City Marine has them. I just got a painted one two weeks ago from her. They can also be purchased in stainless steel. The cost is $90 for the painted base and about $140 for the stainless base. [Twin City Marine] offers a backing plate for $60. The backing plate was out of stock, so I went to a local fabricator and got one made for $5.

[The home-made backing plate] is 1/4-inch aluminum approximately 4-inches wide and 6-inches tall--the same size as the seat mount itself. I drilled my own holes. I primed the back plate with white metal primer from a spray can. I painted the home-made backing plate with Krylon Epoxy white, an appliance paint that you can get anywhere.

I am putting this [seat base] on a 2001 Sport 13. To fit the thickness of the bulkhead I needed stainless steel, threaded 1/4-20 fasteners that were 4-1/2-inches to 5-inches long, plus washers and nylon locking nuts .

I also mounted a very similar [seat base] to a 2008 Montauk when I bought it new, and before Whaler even offered it as an option. I got that part from "The Outboard Shop" in California.

Hope this helps.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:29 pm

Twin Cities Marine is in Wisconsin. The thread has been dormant for over three years.