Evinrude Outboard Engine Assembly Plant Tour

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Evinrude Outboard Engine Assembly Plant Tour

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:12 pm

While there have been a few video recordings produced that have shown some of the Evinrude outboard engine assembly plant operations, I recently came across one from 2015 that is quite good, and it warrants viewing by any Evinrude engine fan. You can see the recorded presentation that was originally produced for the cable-television show MADE FOR THE OUTDOORS, on youtube at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WY-81JrgkY

This presentation is very well done. There is good photography and the host, Lindsey Hayes, did an execellent job producing and writing the show, as well as appearing on camera.

The Evinrude G2 engines are shown in production. If you want to jump past the introductory part of the presentation, scroll in about four minutes.

Disclaimer: I own an E-TEC.

Masbama

Re: Evinrude Outboard Engine Assembly Plant Tour

Postby Masbama » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:26 pm

I really enjoyed watching that video, but it got me to thinking: does my local old school Evinrude dealer has the capability to work on these new, high tech engines?

jimh

Re: Evinrude Outboard Engine Assembly Plant Tour

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:16 pm

"Old school" dealers of outboard engines are all in a world of woe. They can't work on any neoteric outboard engines of any brand. All modern engines require service and diagnostic skill that can only be obtained by factory training, use of factory electronic diagnostic tools, and specialized service tools. My local Evinrude dealer is very "old school" in the sense that they have been selling Evinrude outboard engines from the same location for over 90-years, but they are very up-to-date on all the latest training, tools, and skills necessary to service all the new E-TEC G2 engines.

The Evinrude training program is extremely good. They offer week-long in-house training at the production facility, and dealers who send their technicians there get very good value for their investment in training. Modern engines like the ones made by Evinrude are very different from the c.1970 designs that previously dominated the two-stroke-power-cycle outboard business and could be serviced and repaired by mechanics who became familiar with them. Any changes were incremental and evolved over time. Modern engines, as seen in the presentation, are quite sophisticated in their design, and their production is very modern and precise.

But I would not worry too much about "old school" mechanics; they are now mostly over 70-years old, or, if younger, no longer able to find employment.