Cover for Outrage 22 WD

A conversation among Whalers
menauhant11

Cover for Outrage 22 WD

Postby menauhant11 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:08 pm

[Seeks] any recommendations for a full-boat cover [made of] all-season material for my 1991 Outrage 22 WD. The boat will be sitting on a trailer exposed to the elements; I am looking for a durable cover that snugly fits. Mills is a bit outside my budget. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

jimh

Re: Cover for Outrage 22 WD

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:50 pm

I just had a custom-fitted mooring cover made for my 22-foot Whaler Drive hull, a REVENGE W-T. The cover was made with Glen Raven Mills SUNBRELLA material. I chose the supplier carefully after checking hundreds of boats at local marinas to see who made their canvas. I saw some really good work by one local vendor, and decided on them. I found they were very busy. They were booked several months in advance--and this was during their "slow season." It was expensive, but I am very pleased with their work.

For prolonged outdoor storage, consider a heavier material. I also have a winter cover that completely covers the boat and all railings. It is made from a heavy waterproof canvas-like material. It is very labor intensive to put on the full winter cover or remove the winter cover, but it does provide good protection. I just took the new mooring cover off, and put on the winter cover for my indoor layup for the next eight months. We're putting the boat away for the season this weekend.

If you are storing the boat outdoors, look for a cover that fits below the gunwales and has a drawstring that can be pulled tight. Preventing small rodents and other critters from getting into the boat during storage is critically important. With a Whaler Drive boat, you should plug the rigging tubes that pass through the transom.

Warpdrv

Postby Warpdrv » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:37 am

I picked up a Carver Poly Guard cover for my Dauntless 220 from PM Winter Boat Covers.

After emailing him with what I was looking for, PM Winter Boat Covers gave me seven or eight different options and price points from $250 to $1,000 to choose from. After narrowing it down to a choice for my needs, I ended up with a cover specifically made for my boat. I'm very happy with the quality of the product. The shipping was quick, and [the cover] fits really nicely. The price was around $500.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:17 am

Carver makes some very nice semi-custom covers for several new and classic Boston Whaler models. Due to the rarity of the WD models they may not have a cover to fit your Outrage. They make covers from a variety of materials including Sunbrella which I highly recommend. You can find them at http://www.carvercovers.com but for best results call them. The prices for their covers are very competitive.
Butch