Best Whaler Under 14-feet

A conversation among Whalers
hueynova

Best Whaler Under 14-feet

Postby hueynova » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:28 pm

I am looking for a boat under 14-feet long because of slip [fees] in my marina. If the boat is under 14-feet long, I can keep it in my dinghy slip. Over 14-feet-long the boat's slip fees get expensive. I don't want another RIB because spear guns and rubber pontoons don't mix, as I found the hard way.

What 13-foot or 14-foot boat will give me the best ride for the buck?

I mostly scuba dive and fish a little in the Santa Monica Bay, so it does get choppy. If it gets too choppy, I just don't go. I usually dive with one other person, so space isn't too important, but a big console becomes problematic.

I rode a c.1988 Super Sport and its layout works for me, but it rides a little harsh and a little wet. Do newer [Boston Whaler SUPER SPORT boats] have a deeper V-hull?

There are a couple Dauntless 14 boats [for sale] but they are pricey at $9,000 with a 40hp Yamaha. Do DAUNTLESS 14 boats they ride well?

Someone also had a modified Rage with a 50-HP outboard instead of the inboard jet drive. It sold in about 10 seconds for $3,000.

This is a big investment for me, so any advice would be great. Thanks guys,

andrey320

Re: Best SMALL Whaler

Postby andrey320 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:37 am

Love my 15 Dauntless. I have had it to Catalina and Santa Cruz islands several times and am frequently at Anacapa.

hueynova

Re: Best SMALL Whaler

Postby hueynova » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:01 pm

andrey320--tell me about the 15 DAUNTLESS hull.

Is [the hull of a 15 DAUNTLESS] a deep V-hull?

How does [a 15 DAUNTLESS] handle chop and swell?

[I may buy] a 13 Dauntless from 1995. I am trying to avoid running around to see boats that have only moderate V-hulls or hulls like the older (and maybe newer?) Super Sport boats.