Fall Arrives in Lower Alabama

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

Fall Arrives in Lower Alabama

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:36 am

Yesterday Autumn arrived on the Alabama Coast. We know this because the White Pelicans began arriving in large flights. We enjoyed watching them yesterday from our balcony overlooking Little Lagoon in Gulf Shores. It is something to watch these crowds flying. Compared to our native Brown Pelican their behavior is very different. The Whites are almost never seen flying in small groups of five or less and almost never seen flying solo. In the air they behave much more like the Canadian Geese I used to see migrating when I spent time in South Texas as a boy.

Coastal living is not always wonderful but it is usually very rewarding. Our local Shrimp Festival ended yesterday and we were glad to see it end. It's worth a visit now and then but the traffic, crowds and street closures get old fast. It is a huge season's end financial boost for the local tourist industry and helps keep the tax coffers topped up but other wise not too great.
Butch

Masbama

Re: Fall Arrives in Lower Alabama

Postby Masbama » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 pm

White pelicans are some of my favorite water birds. They have an incredible wingspan and don't dive for fish like the brown pelicans but instead 'round them up' while swimming; pushing the fish to the shallows.
They usually leave in May but some have been seen year round in south Mobile County.

As for the shrimp fest-meh. Haven't been in ten years and don't miss it. Too crowded.

Jefecinco

Re: Fall Arrives in Lower Alabama

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:20 am

Yes, the National Shrimp Festival is worth a visit every five years or so because the vendors will have changed enough to make it worth another look if you are into the mostly junky stuff they sell. Otherwise the music is too loud, the crowds too large and the cost too high. In fairness I have to say there are a handful or two of vendors that sell some pretty nice things.
Butch