1999 230 OUTRAGE 23 Replacement Marine Toilet

A conversation among Whalers
batwingz

1999 230 OUTRAGE 23 Replacement Marine Toilet

Postby batwingz » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:15 pm

I recently purchased a 1999 Outrage 23. The original head was gone and a camping Porta-Potti was in [its] place. The plumbing remain; one feed line and one dump line, the larger of the two.

[Who was the manufacturer of the marine toilet] provided from the factory [on 1999 OUTRAGE 23 boat]?

How was the entire [marine sanitation] system originally designed to work?

Thanks in advance

Ed

jimh

Re: 1999 230 OUTRAGE 23 Replacement Marine Toilet

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:58 pm

To get information on the OEM manufacturer of accessories provided with Boston Whaler boats of recent manufacture, contact the Boston Whaler customer service department. The Boston Whaler customer service department is staffed with extremely knowledgable people who have decades of experience with Boston Whaler boats, and they are the most gracious and helpful people you could ever encounter. I am sure they can give you advice on the marine toilet that was installed originally in you 1999 Boston Whaler boat.

Also, check on the website

http://whalerparts.com

to see if there is any information about your particular boat and model year, or something really close. Often you can discover lots of information there. However, once you discover the OEM component, you will have to hope that it is still in production if you were planning to buy one.

As for how the system that you no longer have installed was intended to work, I don't there was too much out of the ordinary about it. The owner's manual for your boat should help explain the system.

A boat made in c.1999 would very likely have been fitted with a marine sanitation holding tank. Does the 1999 230 OUTRAGE boat have one now? If not, you will have to install a holding tank in order to comply with no-discharge rules in effect now just about everywhere.

To learn more about marine sanitation system, I recommend you visit the website of a manufacturer of marine sanitation devices, THETFORD. They offer a great deal of information. See

http://www.thetfordmarine.com/us/

They also have many newer designs that might be preferable to re-fitting your 1999 230 OUTRAGE boat.

batwingz

Re: 1999 230 OUTRAGE 23 Replacement Marine Toilet

Postby batwingz » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks to all that responded. Final findings:

Thetford and Boston Whaler verified that my boat was originally outfitted with an MSD Porti Potti. Original size was the current model Thetford 260P MSD. A slightly higher old-guy height is the 550P MSD.

This means that [marine sanitation device] was equipped with a connection for two hoses that Whaler provided. One hose went to a vent on the starboard side and the larger hose went to a gunwale-mounted emptying port. I think this was an attempt to make the emptying process a little simpler.

I have seen many of the comments from previous posts, and let it be known that this is "for the girls."