Unsinkable

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Unsinkable

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:36 pm

At the most basic level, the unsinkable nature of a Boston Whaler boat, created by the double-bottom foam-filled construction, is a strong attraction to the brand. Knowing that your Boston Whaler boat will NOT be be sinking to the bottom of the lake or sea if the boat becomes flooded with water is a reassuring feature when you are out alone in big water. I was reminded of this characteristic recently when I read a series of news stories about the disappearance of a boater in Lake Superior.

On Sunday, September 17, a fellow in the Houghton-Hancock area went fishing in his 14-foot outboard boat in Lake Superior. About 1 p.m he launched his boat from a ramp at Chassell, Michigan, on Portage Lake, and likely passed down the waterway into Lake Superior to the East. With him were a friend and his 9-year-old son. When they did not return by late afternoon, the USCG was notified and a search began. The search area was vast: it extended from Keweenaw Bay into Lake Superior. The USCG published this plot of the search areas and patterns flown:
searchMapKeweenawMissingBoatCrop.jpg
USCG graphic of search patterns
searchMapKeweenawMissingBoatCrop.jpg (58.41 KiB) Viewed 4863 times

Joining the search were airborn assets from U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City, Coast Guard aircrews from Detroit, Cape Cod, Elizabeth City, N.C., the Canadian Coast Guard and the Royal Canadian Air Force. USCG boat crews, the cutter USCGC BISCAYNE BAY, and many state and local agencies also participated in the search. The formal USCG seach continued until September 21, 2016, five days after the boat went missing. After 151-hour of searching, covering 14,000-square miles, the boat and its occupants could not be found, and the USCG search was ended.

On Saturday, October 1, 2016, about two weeks after the boat went missing, volunteer searchers from a non-profit organization using SONAR located the missing boat and three bodies on the bottom of Keweenaw Bay in 280-feet of water and about five miles offshore. Eventually all three bodies were recovered using remote-control submersible vehicles.

The 14-foot boat can be seen in the image below:

missingBoatKeweenawBay2016.jpg
missingBoatKeweenawBay2016.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 4875 times

Since approximately c.1978, all boats less-than 20-feet in length at the time of their original manufacture must have enough reserve buoyancy to keep some part of the hull above water if flooded. Floatation for outboard boats is regulated in 33 CFR 183.101 - 105, which provides

§ 183.101 Applicability.
This subpart applies to monohull inboard boats, inboard/outdrive boats, and airboats less than 20 feet in length, except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, inflatable boats, submersibles, surface effect vessels, amphibious vessels, and raceboats.

§ 183.105 Quantity of flotation required.

(a) Each boat must have enough flotation to keep any portion of the boat above the surface of the water when the boat has been submerged in calm, fresh water for at least 18 hours and loaded with:

(1) A weight that, when submerged, equals two-fifteenths of the persons capacity marked on the boat;

(2) A weight that, when submerged, equals 25 percent of the dead weight; and

(3) A weight in pounds that, when submerged, equals 62.4 times the volume in cubic feet of the two largest air chambers, if air chambers are used for flotation.

(b) For the purpose of this section, “dead weight” means the maximum weight capacity marked on the boat minus the persons capacity marked on the boat.

With the discovery of the missing boat on the bottom of Lake Superior, is seems the boat did not have adequate flotation. Perhaps the boat was manufactured before the regulations cited above came into effect. Perhaps the floatation was old, damaged, or had been removed.

The loss of three lives from a fall fishing trip on a Saturday afternoon is extremely unfortunate, and no one can say exactly what happened to cause the boat to sink. Whenever I read of an incident like this, I am again reminded of my faith in my Boston Whaler boat to stay afloat and the comfortable feeling that gives me.

Dutchman

Re: Unsinkable

Postby Dutchman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Hear Hear. I'm with you.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:29 pm

The volunteers who eventually found the wreck were from Bruce's Legacy of Black River Falls, Wisconsin and Crossman Consulting of Duluth, Minnesota. The organization Bruce's Legacy describes itself as "a 501 (C)(3) volunteer organization providing emergency assistance, education, public safety awareness and search and recovery operations for drowned victims to provide resolution for families." Read more about the sophisticated L-3 Klein 3900 SONAR gear they used at

http://www.bruceslegacy.com/search-recovery/

There is a detailed narrative of their search efforts on their website; it is well worth reading;

http://www.bruceslegacy.com/houghton-hancock-michigan-lake-superior-search/

One of the bodies was reported to be entangled in the anchor line of the boat. The remote submersible vehicle used to cut away the ropes was a C.I Falcon R.O.V and was operated by personnel from Northwestern Michigan College's Great Lakes Water Studies Institute.

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:09 am

Was the location of the boat within the original search patterns? Given the cell pings, it must have been, but? I cannot find any reference to this, but may have missed it. Thank you for walking through this event. It is a reminder of many details.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 am

What a shame. It's especially hard when a kid dies. But looking at that photo that 14 footer looks like an old MFG or something similar. Unlikely to have had much, if any, flotation built in. Now add the 400 pounds or so of motors on the transom and I don't think that boat would go anywhere but straight down. This is exactly why I insisted on a Whaler for taking my Grandson fishing--as well as wearing life jackets at ALL times!

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:59 am

Wweez wrote:Was the location of the boat within the original search patterns? Given the cell pings, it must have been, but...I cannot find any reference to this, but may have missed it.

Re the location of the wreck: in the initial article in this thread, the position of the sunken boat was given. Cf.:

...volunteer searchers from a non-profit organization using SONAR located the missing boat and three bodies on the bottom of Keweenaw Bay in 280-feet of water and about five miles offshore

In the plot of search patterns, the Keweenaw Bay was the most thoroughly covered area of the search for the missing boat.