REVENGE v. OUTRAGE

A conversation among Whalers
Destin_Dauntless

REVENGE v. OUTRAGE

Postby Destin_Dauntless » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Revenge v. Outrage--are these two boats basically the same hull design?

Do they both handle chop well?

Is a Ventura the same? Just a different deck plan?

[I am] trying to learn and compare.

Tomorrow the forecast is for strong NW winds and small craft warnings.

Thanks in advance

StormWarning

Re: REVENGE v. OUTRAGE

Postby StormWarning » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:10 am

I can't speak for the REVENGE. My 23 CONQUEST has the same hull as an OUTRAGE. [The hull's] ride is chop is terrible. The boat likes it either flat or big rollers. It is a extremely dry boat.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:54 am

In the Boston Whaler boats made prior to c.1990, the same hull was used for many models. A REVENGE and and an OUTRAGE would be built on the same hull. So a REVENGE 20/22/25 boat has the same hull as an OUTRAGE 20/22/25.

After c.1990 Boston Whaler began to change the hull designs, away from the classic Bob Dougherty/Dick Fisher/Ray Hunt hull designs, and began using new hull designs. Some of these hulls were shared among both open center console boats and cabin boats. In more recent years, the hull designs used for cabin boats have become different from the center console boats.

The VENTURA models are dual-console open boats. I don't know exactly how the hulls of the VENTURA models compare to OUTRAGE hulls of the same era. They made have shared hull designs in some cases.

I don't know exactly what sea condition is known as "chop." I presume you mean a condition of closely-spaced waves with steep wave faces. The distance between wave crests is a factor in how any boat hull will ride in those wave conditions. As long as the waterline length of the hull is long enough that the hull encounters at least three wave crests simultaneously, the ride will be decent. When the distance between wave crests is longer than the hull waterline, the ride deteriorates. And, of course, the wave height is always a factor. There are no small boats that produce a comfortable ride when the wave height exceeds about ten-percent of their waterline length and there are head seas. As the British used to say, "Gentlemen only sail downwind."

jimp

Postby jimp » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:33 pm

Seakeeping in a chop has several factors. I had a 1990 Revenge 22' - W.T for the last 19 season (sold this summer to move up to 34').

22' in Outrage models vs the Revenge? The Revenge (from the reference section) is 300 pounds heavier. Hulls are the same. Heavier boat "usually" does better in chop. That's the seakeeping.

Comfort. Where do you boat? I've been in Alaska for years and would not buy a center console. Rain & 55F? Give me shelter, full windshield, good wipers, a place to sit with a view, etc. Boat on Long Island in the summer (I've also done that my whole life)? Give me a center console and wide open spaces. Want to boat with the wife & girls? Get an enclosed head (Revenge).

I also think that in the Revenge you are a bit more forward on the boat than in the Outrage, but sitting. Farther aft (by a foot or so?) is a bit more comfy in the Outrage, but usually standing.

It's not a simple answer.

I know nothing of the Ventura.

JimP

andygere

Postby andygere » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:28 pm

[Andy--I moved your remarks to the off-topic discussion to its new separate thread--jimh]

Destin: In addition to what JimP shared, note there is another model that's a bit of a hybrid between the Revenge and the Outrage. This is the Outrage Cuddy. Based on the same 22 and 25 foot hulls, these are center console boats, but with a small buddy forward. The buddy is relatively long, but with low headroom. In my 22 Cuddy, the bunks are 7' long, but head room is only adequate for sitting, and I'm not very tall. Also based on this hull and cabin shell are the Revenge Cuddy models. These are different from the Revenge W/Ts, and appear similar to the Outrage Cuddys, but with a steering station on the aft side of the cuddy bulkhead, and no center console. These have tremendous deck space, but lack the cockpit weather protection of the Revenge W/T models.
1989 Outrage 22 Cuddy