"1-Foot-itis" Dauntless 15 v. Dauntless 16

A conversation among Whalers
andrey320

"1-Foot-itis" Dauntless 15 v. Dauntless 16

Postby andrey320 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:18 am

The two-foot-itis disease did not skip me, but it is showing up in rare form.

My Dauntless 15 has been a wonderful first boat. The ability to park it in my town home garage and tow it with a sedan are benefits that I don't want to give up. I do at times feel like something more capable would suit my needs better. I use the boat as my personal transportation to the Channel Islands National Park. Specifically, Anacapa and Santa Cruz islands. My boat is probably the smallest you'd want for this purpose. The garage is 19'6", so I'm pretty sure an Outrage 17 is too big.

The Dauntless 16 looks like the only Whaler to fit my requirements. Although only a foot longer, it is almost twice the weight and will take double the power. My uneducated guess is that it will be more forgiving in the chop and perhaps more capable of handling rougher seas. The higher sides would be a plus with the little ones and the built-in tank sounds nice.

Do you think this is a worthwhile move? Or am I chasing a unicorn that I'll only find in a "much" bigger (more than 3-feet) boat!

Thank you for your input!
Last edited by andrey320 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Re: "1-Foot-itis" Dauntless 15 v. Dauntless16

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:32 am

Incrementing boat size in one-foot increments will be an expensive path to your ultimate boat. My own trajectory was 15/20/24-feet. We have stopped there because we are trailer-boaters, and getting anything bigger will mean a very substantial increase in the towing vehicle capacity (and cost).

There is something to be said for a boat you can keep in your own garage: there is no storage cost and the boat is always there to work on or to use. And a boat you can tow to the ramp with your daily-driver sedan--that's a plus.

If you can find the right DAUNTLESS 16 at a sensible price, better jump on it.

StormWarning

Re: "1-Foot-itis" Dauntless 15 v. Dauntless16

Postby StormWarning » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Just do it. once you have the itch there is only one way to cure it.

Now if you get creative you might beable to get a 18' in the garage. My garage was right about the same size as yours and I was able to squeeze a 19' triumph in it. I had to put tape on the floor so I knew exactly how and where it needed to be because if I was off on angle or position even just a little it wouldn't fit. I even had a angle the outboard had to be. Had to be trimmed down and turned to the side. Put a swing front on the trailer..

Ridge Runner

Re: "1-Foot-itis" Dauntless 15 v. Dauntless 16

Postby Ridge Runner » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:01 pm

My 170 Montauk on it's factory trailer with swing tongue is 20' 4" - If you shorten the bow stop or have custom made bow stop and move the bunks forward - I think you might be able to get the length where you need it. You might need to move the axle forward also to get the correct tongue weight.
11-10-2012_025a.jpg
11-10-2012_025a.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 7805 times
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

Buoy

Postby Buoy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:04 pm

I've owned both and the 16' Dauntless is significantly more capable handing the chop and rougher seas and the additional storage is a nice bonus. If you can, find one with a 115hp as I thought the 90hp was a bit underpowered.

Go for it!

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:05 pm

I could go on and on about the Dauntless 16, having just finished up my 13th season with mine. Although it is only a foot longer than the Dauntless 15, if you look at them side-by-side the 16 is huge in comparison. It is extremely capable for a 16 footer, and I've had mine out in as much as 4-5 foot waves (and I'm talking breakers on the Chesapeake Bay, not long-period swells). That was actually not a lot of fun after the first few minutes, but the boat handled it as well as or better than can be expected.

The internal 45 gallon tank gives the boat extraordinary range and endurance, and good stability because it's all under the deck. On the other hand, 300 pounds of fuel can be a lot to lug around in a boat this size. Storage is surprisingly good, with the center console, the pilot seat, and modest room under the aft quarter seats.

The Dauntless 16 is heavy for its size, and in general performance reports with 90 HP engines leave a bit to be desired. My 115 4-stroke has adequate power but it took some time to find the right propeller combination. I've been very happy with the 17" Trophy Plus 4-blade. On the other hand, that engine is pretty heavy. I added a hydrofoil to the lower unit which made a big difference, but trim tabs would be even better. I'd say this is the boat's one significant failing.

I towed the boat for a few years with a Volvo V70 wagon. While the boat was well within the 3,300 lb limit of the wagon, it never really felt adequate. Eventually we had to replace the transmission in the Volvo (related? who can say...). For the last 10 years I've been pulling it effortlessly with a Ford Explorer. The body-on-frame truck V8 version that is, not the new unibody car version.

So yes, the 16 will be a significant step up from your 15. Whether it's enough to make it worth it is harder to say. In a year or two will you be wishing you went to 18 feet? Maybe, but that clearly won't fit in your garage. The 16 might not either, depending on the trailer.

-Bob
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:47 am

As a former Dauntless 16 owner I'll add my voice to those recommending this wonderful small boat. I agree with all the positive statements and I agree with those recommending you buy a 16 with a 115 HP engine. A good two stroke 115 would be a plus as the 16 is sensitive to extra weight aft. Alternatively the scupper can be temporarily plugged with rubber stoppers to keep water out. If plugs are used they should have some means to quickly remove them if water is taken over the hull sides.

I owned my 16 for ten years and then sold it to buy a 190 Montauk. The Montauk is a great boat but I often wish I had stayed with the Dauntless.
Butch

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. You're helping me with all the experiences you've had.

The, "is it worth it?" question is personal, I'll have to come to that decision.

Jim, a couple of upgrades is probably all I'll have in my lifetime too, at this rate, I'll have a 17 when I retire.... Which is not a bad thing!

StormWarning, I don't see any way of fitting even a 17 in there, 18s are out of the question. My 15 looks like RidgeRunners Montauk, just enough space. Which by the way looks admirable RR! I like the Montauk but need a heavier boat with higher gunwales for the offshore use.

Buoy, just the input I seek! And I've read all about the performance....

Bob, thank you for the detailed write up, good points.

Jefecinco, wow! The Montauk 190 is one of my dream boats. Hearing someone say that the Dauntless 16 is nice too is encouraging. What makes you say that? Easier to handle by yourself?

I've owned my Dauntless 15 for 6 years now. It will be another several until I'm financially prepared to upgrade. That's a long time but it gives me time to think and decide. The performance reports are interesting. My hope would be to get one and re-power to a Suzuki 140....

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:56 am

Andray,

Your "why" question is not very easy to answer in a few words. As I previously said, I agree with all the previous positive comments and that's part of the answer. Much of my appreciation of the Dauntless 16 is not definable. The 16 gave me an overall and general feeling of comfort and security. Some more specific reasons were the ease with which the boat could be towed, launched and retrieved. Single handing was never scary. Easy maneuverability in and around small spaces was useful. Excellent power and response to throttle input helped with the fun factor. A smaller boat can always be maintained more easily and quickly. Although the 16 is a small boat it looks like and is constructed like a larger craft.

Although not a big deal, the Dauntless attracted a lot of very positive comments around other boaters in much the same way as our Sport 13.

I bought the Dauntless new in 1999. When I sold the 16 after ten years of use I received exactly what I paid less the taxes.
Butch

andygere

Postby andygere » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:35 pm

I agree with all the other positive comments on the Dauntless 16. It is a much more substantial boat than the 15, and handles nasty chop as well as any boat that size. While I agree the boat would perform better with a 115 than a 90, the 90 hp Mercury 2-stroke moves it along just fine. We routinely overload ours with people and beach gear in protected waters, and I'm always amazed at how much grunt that motor has. A 90 hp 4-stroke would be another matter, and I'd be wary of one of those, particularly the early carbureted Mercs or overweight Hondas. Ours has the original 1999 outboard that has held up well and continues to be a good runner. Even loaded with family and gear, the scuppers keep the water out, since this motor is relatively light and the battery is in the console and fuel tank amidship. Selecting the appropriate prop can make a real difference on this hull, consult Tom W. Clark for advice.
1989 Outrage 22 Cuddy