Weird Hyundai Car Commercial with Boat

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Weird Hyundai Car Commercial with Boat

Postby jimh » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:16 pm

I happened to see a television commercial from Hyundai today--and it made no sense to me. In the commercial, a fellow's wife advises him, "Don't forget we're taking my parents out on the boat this Sunday."

The husband gets into his automobile, a Hyundai sedan, and drives to the marina. He walks out on a pier to his boat, a Parker 25 pilothouse with a single Yamaha outboard. He unties the mooring lines, and shoves the boat off the dock. The next scene cut shows the boat adrift.

The commercial made no sense to me. I could not see any particularly cogent message contained in the commercial that was particularly positive about the advertiser's brand. I had to read an article about the commercial to find out what its message was supposed to be. See

http://thenewswheel.com/abandon-all-boa ... mmercials/

for the explanation. Maybe I am outside the age range of the target audience, and perhaps I should have made the connection that "Sunday" is the day when the NFL plays most of its football games. But after watching the commercial I did not get any particularly strong urge to buy a Hyundai.

The message I got was perhaps Hyundai owners have so much money and such bad marriages they'd set their boat adrift rather than entertain their in-laws.

I think the Parker is said to be named "The Perfect Sea-son", which perhaps is an allusion to athletic competition, but in the actual commercial you can never clearly see the boat's name.

I don't think real boating enthusiasts intrinsically abstain from boating on Sunday because they'd prefer to watch football on television.

And no owner of a Boston Whaler boat would ever set it adrift intentionally.

Maybe the intent of the commercial is to drive visitors to the website that explains its message.

ConB

Re: Weird Hyundai Car Commercial with Boat

Postby ConB » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:36 pm

I've been trying to understand that commercial too. So it's a Hyundai commercial, eh.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:34 pm

The guy loves his car so much he doesn't want to give up driving time to entertain his in-laws on his boat. Now he has a perfect excuse not to go boating. I believe it's meant to be amusing.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:21 pm

I think it is more of an NFL commercial. He doesn't want to miss the Dolphins playing so he sets the boat adrift so he can watch his precious Dolphins instead of boating with the in laws. I think.

frontier

Postby frontier » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Remember the old classic Volkswagen ad with a picture of a VW Beetle and a Boston Whaler Nauset?
It said : "The longer you own one the better it looks".

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:00 am

Maybe the NFL is subsidizing the Hyundai commercial. It probably only airs during NFL games.

But what does the commercial say about Parker boats? And Yamaha engines?

acg123

Postby acg123 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:02 am

I saw this and thought the same thing [as jimh]. I laughed, because of how stupid it was. I did not remember which car it was advertising, so clearly a waste on their part. But in the end, I think some ad creators just like to come up with off the wall stuff and see if it sticks. They must assume that everyone loves football, doesn't care about boating, and hates their in-laws. At least they didn't use a Whaler. Not that I ever planned to buy a Hyundai, but if they used a Whaler, it would definitely never happen!

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:27 am

Fishing, Hunting, Outdoor Cooking, were all invented to get away from...but got to remember the Hollywood mantra: Advertising, media twits [tweets?], millennials, etc.

Good publicity = wonderful
Bad publicity = good
No publicity = not tolerable

If they posted the cost of that ad, it would make all of us throw up.