Title for Old Boston Whaler Boat

A conversation among Whalers
mrskiffwpb

Title for Old Boston Whaler Boat

Postby mrskiffwpb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:05 am

[Implied question: how can an older Boston Whaler boat without any title paperwork be properly titled in the state of Florida?]
Help me with this--thanks

[This thread was moved to THE GAM for discussion from MARKETPLACE. Do not post articles to MARKETPLACE that attempt to initiate discussions. MARKETPLACE is only for notices of For-Sale or Wanted-to-Buy, or for Appraisals of specific boats.--jimh]

BACKSTORY: I was lucky to do a detail job on a beautiful sail yacht, and with payment came a beautiful 13-foot tender. It was given to me. I was told [by the previous owner the boat] never had a title--it just came with the larger boat. I would hate to see this clean boat go to [waste] here in south Florida. [The boat] came with paddles so I'm guessing it never had a motor on it.

Jefecinco

Re: Title for Old Boston Whaler Boat

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 am

To acquire a Florida Title for the boat should not be a big problem. If you have or can get some form of a bill-of-sale from the former owner, acquiring a title it should be very easy. If no bill-of-sale is available ,any documentation with the former owner's signature or acknowledgement, such as a final receipt for the work, may be useful.

The best place to determine your best course would be the Florida boat title issuing agency, perhaps the DMV.

In Alabama, where we reside, titles for boats are not issued. Registration documents are all that are required. Our boat trailers are neither titled nor registered. Some small non-powered craft don't even require registration.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:41 pm

The best source of information for how to obtain a boat title will be from the state agency that grants boat titles in the state you reside. Visit your state government website--they probably have one--and deduce what agency of the state government grants titles to watercraft. After you determine the state agency that grants titles to watercraft, contact that agency to determine what sort of documentation they require in order to provide a title.

As a corollary to seeking a title for the boat, you may also want to establish a better identity for the boat than has so far been provided. It is unlikely that the boat could be titled as a Boston Whaler boat based only on your opinion. If having the boat title identify the boat as a Boston Whaler boat is important, you will likely have to come up with some substantiating evidence that the boat is a Boston Whaler boat. Good evidence would be some sort of hull identification marker.

Boats made after 1972 were required by federal regulations to have a hull identification number (HIN) attached to the hull. The HIN includes the identification of the manufacturer. This would be a basis for identification of the boat as made by Boston Whaler.

Prior to 1972 there was no federal regulation on hull identification. Boston Whaler boats were identified by a hull number, applied with a stencil during the laminating and molding of the hull. We refer to this as the stencil number. If the stencil number is intact and visible, you can perhaps use that as evidence of manufacture by Boston Whaler.

Hull identification is discussed in detail in the FAQ. Please read the applicable sections of the FAQ for more advice on hull identification. You can find the FAQ in the REFERENCE section at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:55 pm

Best advice you will get.
Gather what you do have, look on line, and ask for their help, on line or in person as needed.
We have cases where they have to see the boat, your place or theirs?
Othere are handled with proper forms.

With Jim's advice you will save time and money.

One note: Each agency has quirks as to money. Ex: Texas Parks and Wildlife will not take credit cards for some taxes or fees at their office Checks and cash.
That was last spring, it may have changed, ask.

Good Luck!

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Weez--you are right about quirks. I stood in line for 30-minutes at the Michigan Secretary of State office a few years ago. When I went to pay they would not take my "brand" of credit card--a VISA card. They would only take Master Charge. Who would have known?

Ocean31

Postby Ocean31 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:21 am

Having done a few boats in Florida, I may suggest the following:

--the boat would be titled and registered as a boat "Never titled before since it did not have a engine."

--a letter from the previous owner and seller stating the boat was never titled or registered since it was "a tender" would help

--if this letter were notarized it would help, but I am not sure if this is required.

The important part for Florida is all boats with a engine have to be titled and registered, If you claim the boat was never titled before because it did not have a engine and was just used as tender, that is something the County Tax collector can work with.

I have titled and registered various boats in Florida using the above basis. If there is no HIN, then a picture of the stenciled number may be required.