Keep the Classic, sell the 170 or keep 170, sell Classic

A conversation among Whalers
kirk

Keep the Classic, sell the 170 or keep 170, sell Classic

Postby kirk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:19 pm

I'm new to the forum. I live in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Along the Persian Gulf. The waters are mostly coastal - lots of inlets, waterways, and mangroves all of which hold king fish, queen fish and grouper. Nearby, (180 miles over land) on the east coast of the UAE sit the deep blue waters of the Indian Ocean with its Mahi Mahi, Yellow-fins and even sailfish.

As of last week, I now own two Montauks. A 1999 classic with its original Mercury 90 2 stroke and trailer. And a 2008 170 to which the original owner fixed a 115 Yamaha 4-stroke. The 170 sits on its original Karavan trailer that is a bit rusty.

Although in need of a good spit, polish and a little elbow grease, the classic is in fine condition. It was imported from Florida by a local fella. The engine starts every time, runs like a dream, has a ton of power. It has been a nearly perfect boat. Easy to tow and launch from the beach. Stores easily in a parking space outside my house. Simple and cheap to run and maintain. Its only concern being that it is small for my family of 5 who occasionally joined me for fun in the sun or camping. I've owned it for about 9 months and bought it for $15,000.

The 170 appeared in the classifieds last week. I bought it for $16,250 with the intention of selling my classic for about as much as possible. The 170 is a fine boat, too. Although, perhaps not in as good condition as my classic. Its been used exclusively for fishing off the coast of Dubai by a responsible man and his young son. The engine has probably less than 300 hours on it. Compared to the classic, it is bigger, faster, newer and whiter. It doesn't have the fish package or a swim platform. It is plain-Jane, standard; I don't know much about it because I have not taken official delivery of it.

The bureaucracy of the UAE is a little thick and its going to take me some time to get it registered and on the water, and I might only be allowed to register one boat or the other.

So I am faced with a dilemma. After reading all the posts I can find on this forum about the differences between classics and post classics, new Montauks versus classics, which one should I keep and which one to sell. Unfortunately, I can't keep both and drive one depending on how I feel.

Is it fair to ask, which one you would keep or have you heard that question too many times?

flymo

Re: Keep the Classic, sell the 170 or keep 170, sell Classic?

Postby flymo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:40 am

A classic Montauk is quite small for 5 people. And it sounds like it is in great shape, so you'd get a great price for it. The 170 will feel quite a bit larger, and with the higher freeboard, you'll feel more in it than on it - important with kids on board.

My only concern with keeping the 170 would be whether it can be cleaned up to your standards. It should easy to fit a swim ladder and set up for fishing, including a portable fish well if you use one.

F

Jefecinco

Re: Keep the Classic, sell the 170 or keep 170, sell Classic

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:33 am

A 1999 Montauk is little different than a new 170 Montauk. The newer 115 HP Yamaha is probably a more reliable engine. Sell the older, non-classic, Montauk 17. I seriously doubt it has yet reached sufficient maturity to have any additional value due to its age.
Butch

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:04 pm

I agree with the other comments. I have owned both - the 170 Montauk is a much larger boat. The 115 Yamaha is a good match for the hull, you will not be disappointed.
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:56 pm

Kirk-no brainer here- keep 2008 170 with Yammi 115 (however - it does exceed 90 HP rating though - dont know rules where you live but in US that boat is overpowered for mfr maximum hp rating and could be a legal concern one day ).-

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:03 pm

I don't believe there is a US Federal Regulation or Law which makes it unlawful to exceed a boat manufacturer's recommended maximum horsepower for an engine installed on or in a vessel.
Butch