Isobutanol Marine Fuel

A conversation among Whalers
rbfish

Isobutanol Marine Fuel

Postby rbfish » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Has anyone heard about this new type of fuel coming to the east coast next year? Ethanol free fuel sold under the trade name Gulf Marine Fuel.

http://www.boatingmag.com/list-marinas- ... -announced

It just so happens that my local marina is on the list, sounds very promising. Thoughts on the subject?

jhomeister

Re: Isobutanol Marine Fuel

Postby jhomeister » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:39 pm

We need a chemist to comment here. In fact, water does dissolve into isobutanol at about 15 grams per Liter of isobutanol, or 15 grams of water per 800 grams of isobutanol (see http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLite ... age=GetDoc ). This solubility is certainly much less that for ethanol in which it is freely soluble, and it may therefore not be subject to as much phase separation. But, the other problems to consider are whether that amount of water in the fuel will lead to corrosion problems in tanks and elsewhere as does ethanol, and whether the alcohol will break down hoses and gaskets like ethanol does. Will ethanol resistant materials now in use be resistant to isobutanol, or are we in for a switch to materials with a new composition again? I'm cautiously optimistic, and happy to keep using alcohol-free gasoline.

jhomeister

Postby jhomeister » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:51 pm

I should have made this clear: isobutanol is another type of alcohol, like ethanol, but with a slightly difference chemical structure. It has two additional carbon atoms and their associated hydrogen atoms.

rbfish

Postby rbfish » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks for the comments, the limited research I've seen suggest that isobutanol will reduce moisture absorption and corrosion while improving performance. The reality remains to be seen. I'll keep my eye on this and see how it progresses.

Rick