Used Boat Purchase: See in person or hire surveyor

A conversation among Whalers
pyejam

Used Boat Purchase: See in person or hire surveyor

Postby pyejam » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:21 am

I'm considering purchasing a classic MONTAUK that is about two-hours away from where I live. Should I arrange to see the boat first to check its general condition in person before having a mechanic inspection and survey completed?

Or, save the drive time and have it inspected first?

From the detailed pics that I have received the condition and general appearance look good.

jimh

Re:Used Boat Purchase: See in person or hire surveyor

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 am

A two-hour drive is not particularly burdensome. I'd go see the boat in person. And go right now.

Used classic Boston Whaler MONTAUK 17 boats will sell very rapidly if they are in great condition, have a good engine and trailer, and are reasonably priced. Don't wait around.

Phil T

Re: Used Boat Purchase: See in person or hire surveyor

Postby Phil T » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:44 am

I drove 9 hrs to look at a boat.

See it first. If in less that desired condition you will save the price of a survey.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

pyejam

Postby pyejam » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:31 pm

The interior has been painted white; the exterior of the hull is still in good condition and not been painted. How much would this [affect] the value?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Generally speaking, painting reduces the value significantly. If you are looking for a non-modified boat, it matters a great deal.

Classic Montauk's with older motors run $5,000 to $8,000 depending on condition, trailer, bottom paint, etc.

Photos will help increase accuracy of value.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

pyejam

Postby pyejam » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:56 pm

See link for image from the seller of the boat I am looking at: http://imgur.com/a/HkLZj

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Do you know:

How many hours on the motor?
Is it a F70 or a F90
Year of trailer?
Bottom paint?

Why was interior painted? Pro job or DIY? Paint used?
Console painted or just the hull?
Any hull problems?
Drain tubes replaced?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Based on the images of the boat, a two-hour drive to personally inspect the boat is certainly warranted by a buyer who has any serious interest in purchasing it. If a prospective buyer lacked sufficient interest to invest time to drive two-hours, I would be, were I the seller of such a boat, suspicious of that buyer's actual interest in buying the boat.

Also, as a seller, I would never allow a prospective buyer to have access to the boat for his surveyor unless the buyer agreed to terms on a price and had placed a substantial down payment as good faith of his intentions. As a seller, exposing the boat to possible harm from a surveyor--who might want to perform tests, take samples, remove hardware to make inspections, and so on--is a burden. If a buyer wishes to have a surveyor involved, as a seller I would expect the buyer to show some good faith before I would bear the burden of a surveyor crawling around on my boat. And I'd be particular about who the surveyor was. Some beer-buddy of the buyer might come aboard and ruin the pristine varnish!

pyejam

Postby pyejam » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Yeah based on the original responses I plan to make a trip Monday or Tuesday to take a look.

To answer Phil T questions:
Owner estimate on hours is low. says he owns two boats. From answering my questions about his use it sounds like in the 300hour range. F90 and no bottom paint. Trailer is a newer and not original but I'm not sure of year. No stated hull problems but I will be sure to do a thorough look over when I see it. The rest are good questions for me to ask...Thanks!

StormWarning

Postby StormWarning » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:51 pm

If it makes you feel better I am driving from Chicago to New York this weekend to look at a boat before I go hiring a surveyor. Especially because they are telling me a survey for a 30' boat is $1150. Then again I am pretty handy and know enough about boats to make a pretty good educated guess on a boats condition.