Harpoon 4.6 Bailer

A conversation among Whalers
rmgotz

Harpoon 4.6 Bailer

Postby rmgotz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 am

Hello. I am getting ready to keep my Boston Whaler Harpoon 4.6 in a slip full-time. Does anybody have experience with leaving the bailers open while the boat is in the slip? I am concerned about the boat filling with water, particularly with a heavy rain. I don't think it should, but would feel better about it if someone has experienced and can share some insight on this situation. Thanks

goldstem

Re: Harpoon 4.6 bailer question

Postby goldstem » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:57 am

If it is at all like the 5.2, leave them open. the boat is designed to float above the bailers (so that it is self-rescuing) and so keep them open so rain water just flows out--will be easy to test.

rmgotz

Re: Harpoon 4.6 bailer question

Postby rmgotz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks, that is what I am thinking. I recall the bailers on the 5.2 are further aft toward the stern. On the 4.6 the bailers are under the thwart. I will test this in a few days by opening them at the dock and letting the boat stay dockside for a while with the bailers open. Other than pouring a bunch of water in the boat while dockside, not certain of another way to simulate how it responds to a heavy rain.

goldstem

Re: Harpoon 4.6 Bailer

Postby goldstem » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:56 am

You don't need to simulate rain. Pouring a little water in and seeing that it flows to the bailers is sufficient.

underbone

Postby underbone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 pm

All I know as well they will just flush out the water, even on heavy rain.

rmgotz

Postby rmgotz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for your responses.

I tested this out the other day and was pleased with the results. With my Harpoon 4.6 tied up in the slip, I opened the bailers. A small amount of water came in but leveled out at about 1/2 inch in the bailer wells. I then poured a couple of buckets of water into the boat and the water went out the bailers, as both of you stated. Once again there was a bit of water in the bailer wells, but nothing to be concerned about. After the test I had a great sail.
My concern is now fully alleviated! Thanks again.