Heated RPS seat

A conversation among Whalers
frontier

Heated RPS seat

Postby frontier » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:53 am

Just saw an ad for a classic Boston Whaler Montauk that included a heated Reversible Pilot Seat. Had a button on one of the Z legs with the heat seat icon like some cars and trucks have. Sounds like a great idea for many boating areas.

Dutchman

Re: Heated RPS seat

Postby Dutchman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 am

Yea can shock you right off the seat when it gets wet. Good idea in an open CC, don't think so.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:12 am

What powers the heater? I hope it is not the boat battery for engine starting.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Jim probably an extra deep cycle battery and a solar panel.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

frontier

Postby frontier » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:25 pm

A modern car convertible gets rain inside now and then, including on it's heated seats. You dry it out and move on.
A modern car, SUV , minivan, or truck usually has one 12 volt battery and it powers: 2 heated seats, 4 or more power windows, power seats, 2 side doors (minivan), rear liftgate, windshield wipers, heater fan motors, power locks, power sunroof, power top (convertible), radio, DVD player, CD player, cooling fans, some power steering units, headlights, taillights, endless interior lights, fog lights, computers for engine and other functions, and 12 volt plugs for charging cell phones.
They seem to handle everything just fine.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:26 am

In a "modern car" the car interior is heated by waste engine heat. Eventually the interior ambient temperature and the temperature of the seats reaches a comfortable temperature. Whent the seat reaches a comfortable temperature the heating stops and the seat temperature remains at the ambient temperature of the heated interior compartment. The duration of the heating of the seat is probably measured in a few minutes.

A heated seat in a boat will be constantly exposed to the outdoor ambient temperature, thus requiring continual heating to maintain an above ambient temperature. The seat will be exposed to the boat wind, which will tend to increase the cooling of the seat, requiring even more heating of the seat to maintain it at a temperature above ambient.

A good analogy for a "modern car" heated seat as an electrical load on the car's electrical generating system would be to place the seat outside of the heated interior of the car, exposing the seat to the outside ambient temperature and the cooling effects of the winds blowing on the seat at highway speeds.

porthole

Postby porthole » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Shocking--I have have had heated gear for motorcycle riding for as long as it has been out.
I have ridden in 'toad strangling rain' and never felt a shock or ran down the battery on my bike.

At any given time I could be using one to all of the following items.

Bike - heated grips, heated seat
Gear - heated socks, gloves, vest and sometimes pants.

I have contemplated adding heated pads to the lumbar pad for my wife, but think it would add little value.

The older I get, the more I like my creature comforts.

If I could add heat to the steering wheel of the boat I probably would.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:11 pm

I believe the gear described by PORT' is clothing worn on his body, and the heated area is intended to heat the internal area of the clothing which will be in contact with his skin. This area is insulated from the ambient air by the thermal insulation of the clothing. Further, PORT's own body heat helps to warm the skin, particularly now that the skin is not being exposed to the ambient air and the wind blast.

I think PORT's approach is transferable to boating: if you are boating in very cold ambient air and moving the boat to create high boat wind speed, wear the sort of heating clothing that PORT' recommends. This will consume far less electrical energy than trying to raise the temperature of the RPS cushion far above ambient.

Detection of electrical current by the human skin (electrical shock) can vary with individuals. It is quite common for a human to be able to detect leakage current from sources with voltage as low as 12-Volts if there is some wetness to aid electrical conduction.

A further problem with PORT's comparison to motorcycles: the engine of a motorcycle can usually be started with a mechanical starter. Many outboard engines cannot be started without the electric starter motor.