Montauk 190 Rear Seat Storage Holds Water

A conversation among Whalers
pittjw

Montauk 190 Rear Seat Storage Holds Water

Postby pittjw » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:26 am

First post here on CW. Thanks for all the great info.
I would appreciate insight on [a problem] with my Montauk 190, although my [problem] is built into the mold.

The storage area under the rear seats holds approx 1/4 to 3/8-inch of water, seemingly 24/7/365. I store the boat under a Carver cover and have added tubing to divert any rain ingress through rod holders. [The water] may even be developing via condensation, although the science of that doesn't quite feel robust. Every time--regardless of season or condition--I open one of the (forward facing) hatches (either side), there is at least a 1/4-inch of water if not more. I suspect there is a microscopic spot where if the boat were exactly level or slightly nose downward the area may drain to the bilge as there is passage between the two areas. To store a boat other than nose up under cover is not practical. This limits the practical use of this otherwise great storage to something you're willing to live in a very wet environment.

Has anyone else experienced [chronic accumulation of water in the aft storage area of a 190 MONTAUK]?

Phil T

Re: 190 Montauk Rear Seat Storage Holds Water

Postby Phil T » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:10 am

Have you contacted Boston Whaler Customer Service? They may have some advice for you. Call or email.

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/contact-us/
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Re: 190 Montauk Rear Seat Storage Holds Water

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:59 pm

We have had a 2009 190 Montauk with Carver covers since 2010. However our 190 lacks the aft quarter seats over the storage area.

I believe it is virtually impossible to totally eliminate mold forming in the aft storage compartments. The compartments connect to the below decks are which remain wet unless great care is taken to wipe them dry and even then rain water that gets past the cover will find its way below decks. Because of the way the garboard drain is installed the below decks will not fully drain.

Removing the storage access hatches during storage helps to keep the mold from being much of a problem. Drying the areas with a sponge will also help. We only store items in this area which we can tolerate becoming stained, such as our urine can which is a very disposable cut down one gallon plastic orange juice container.

You mention rod holders so I assume you are talking about the ones on either side of the engine well. Don't bother to try to keep water out of them as they are too insignificant to make a difference.

Your Carver cover should fit below the rub rail all the way around the boat. I have installed two cover vents from Carver in our cover. One forward of the console ant the other aft but slightly forward of the seat back rail. Those have made a great diiference by virtually eliminating any mold from above decks. I recommend them.

We store out 190 with the bow in a very raised attitude to promote fast drainage. That helps. On our 190 the deck drains, unfortunately, are located inboard and just forward of the aft storage areas. For them to drain well the boat must be stored perfectly level side to side. Our driveway is far from level so I've constructed a ramp to elevate the low side which has helped but is not perfectly level. It's about a half inch off but I'll be taking care of that. Backing over the ramp is difficult so I may just add deck drains to the outside corners.

I hope this helps.
Butch

pittjw

Re: Montauk 190 Rear Seat Storage Holds Water

Postby pittjw » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:45 pm

[I] appreciate the feedback very much, [and I am] going to start pulling the hatches for storage.

Whalerdog

Re: Montauk 190 Rear Seat Storage Holds Water

Postby Whalerdog » Tue May 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Messy-area. Bilge water can [collect in] area below seat. I use 3M mildew prevention cleaner, but it doesn't last that long. I pull the covers to let air in when sitting at the dock. I put some additional drains in centered below the seat and hatch opening.