Trailer and Fuel Tank for 13-foot Boston Whaler

A conversation among Whalers
drtlvr

Trailer and Fuel Tank for 13-foot Boston Whaler

Postby drtlvr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:32 pm

I just bought a 13-foot Boston Whaler boat. I need to get the right trailer. I got a good deal on the boat so I can spend some on a decent trailer. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Also: any suggestions for an on-deck fuel tank? Thanks.

[The 13-foot Boston Whaler boat] has a large fiberglass fuel tank under the bow seat. I read that ethanol gasoline is bad for fiberglass fuel tanks.

macfam

Re: Trailer

Postby macfam » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:05 am

For the 1987 Super Sport 13 we just sold, I used a Load-Rite 14F1000W. The price was $800 (my recollection) and it was perfect for a 13-footer. Really liked the tough composite fenders. Nice little trailer. However, I would strongly recommend ratchet tie downs, that attach to your Whaler aft lifting eyes, and the outer holes by the tail lights on the trailer for security.

http://www.loadrite.com/GalvanizedTrailers-Bunk-Single.php

drtlvr

Postby drtlvr » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:54 am

Thank you. I will check out LOAD-RITE trailers.

porthole

Postby porthole » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:18 am

I have ordered two trailers from a Load Rite dealer for my Sport 15 and Outrage 17. Each time the trailer was ordered for the boat specifics. I don't know exactly what Load Rite does, but the trailers are set for a Whaler when ordered that way.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Re: Trailer and Fuel Tank for 13-foot Boston Whaler

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:29 pm

There are FIVE articles in the REFERENCE section on trailer selection and set up. The index to those articles is at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trailering/

If you read those articles you will have a good background for setting up a trailer to carry your Boston Whaler boat. They will encourage you to get a trailer with a lot of keel rollers. This is good advice but there is a problem: there really are no manufacturers of trailers today still making all-keel roller trailer--at least not for for larger boats. You may find a keel-roller trailer for a 13-foot; a trailer for a 13-footer would only have a couple of keel-rollers, anyways. Typically what has to be done is to buy a bunk trailer and add your own keel rollers to it.

There is also a comprehensive article about on-deck fuel tanks for Boston Whaler boats, again in the REFERENCE section at:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... lTank.html

I recommend reading the article and also following all the hyperlinks to additional material on the subject.

There are no manufacturers today making fuel tanks from fiberglass laminates and resins for ethanol-gasoline blended fuels. The ethanol-gasoline blended fuels have a unstoppable tendency to soften and dissolve fiberglass laminates in fuel tanks. The manufacturers that continue to make fiberglass laminated fuel tanks are usually selling fuel tanks for aircraft, and use of ethanol-gasoline blended fuel is prohibited in aircraft.

The most well-know manufacturer of fiberglass laminated gasoline fuel tanks was PATE PLASTICS of Florida. The appearance and prevalence of ethanol-gasoline blended fuel for boats has driven them out of the business of making marine fuel tanks.

If you are certain that your fuel will never contain any ethanol, you could continue to use a fiberglass laminated fuel tank, but you would be at some risk, in my opinion, given how easy it is to get ethanol in your fuel without knowing about it. The ethanol lobby has corrupted the fuel labeling requirements in many states in order to hide the ethanol content from the buying public. Be very careful if you use a fiberglass fuel tank. I would not.

drtlvr

Postby drtlvr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks. I will read them. I have the fiberglass tank, but am replacing it with a plastic tank.

contender

Postby contender » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:31 pm

The 13 whaler is a light boat, get any alum float on type trailer should be just fine, as far as fuel tanks I would have one custom built out of .125 alum to your specs., These are the best fuel tanks hands down and will last you a life time.