Define Classic Whaler

A conversation among Whalers
msirof2001

Define Classic Whaler

Postby msirof2001 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:54 pm

What constitutes a classic whaler? I read through Jim’s excellent account of the Boston Whaler company’s history. Would the term “classic” pertain to a particular time period?

To the quality or type of boat design?

To the location where a boat was made? To whom the chief designer was?

Or would the term classic be a combination of some or all of the above?

For example, would the distinction be made as boats designed by Bob Dougherty and earlier? Were all of the boats that he designed great and classic, or just classic?

It looks like after Bob Dougherty left the company, Peter Van Lancker was doing the designs. If I read the history correctly, Peter Van Lancker designed the AccuTrack hull. Would the change from Boston Whaler smirk to AccuTrack be the distinguishing factor between classic versus non-classic?

Interestingly, the Bob Dougherty boats at Edgewater and Everglades seem to have more AccuTrack characteristics then they have old-style Whaler smirk characteristics. Was AccuTrack something he was conceiving at Whaler and got developed further by others after he left?

What would you call the 1993 through 1997 AccuTrack hulls? Classic, semi classic, not classic, modern era?

In the company history, it was noted that there could’ve been some employee stress related to the move from Boston to Edgewater, Florida. Would the timing of that move be part of the determination of classic versus non-classic? Or would the determination be later when the hull went from two-piece (outer shell and turtle) to the three-piece concept? For example, if you look at the swamped capacity ratings, you will see a much higher rating (ability to withstand the heavier load) with the two-piece hull design. Would that be the determining factor?

Or would the factor be based on really good designs that appeared from time to time regardless of year? For example, to me, the 1993 through 1997 Outrage 24 and Offshore 27 are classic. I consider them classic in the sense that if they were offered today, they would be the best or nearly the best boats of those sizes as compared to what competitors are offering today.

Or would classic be defined by age without respect to what the boat really was? For example, the Rage didn’t do very well. Would the Rage be considered a classic whether it was any good or not? In that same light, would an American Motors Gremlin, or a late 1970’s Ford Pinto be considered a classic today? I was curious about people’s takes on this and their opinions.
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.

Jeff

Re: Define Classic Whaler

Postby Jeff » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:34 pm

It is simple. There are no opinions that dictate the definition. It is not a debatable fact per se--no matter how much one might like a particular aesthetic of a hull.

The definition is, any hull designed prior to Reebok taking ownership. So any hull that Dick Fisher, Ray Hunt or Bob Dougherty (mainly) designed. Bob Dougherty designed most (nearly all) of these "classic" hulls. Some of these classic hulls were still produced after this acquisition, but since they were designed by Doughtery, they are still classics by definition.

Every hull after that was designed and built after that is a "Post Classic" .
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:53 am

In generality "classic" for motorized equipment (boat, auto, motorcycle, tractor, etc) is 25 years or older. Due to the current longevity of modern motorized stuff the 1990s are not considered classic. Due to that philosophy we probably say 1985 or earlier for classic and add another 50 years back to call it antique. In Europe nothing is antique if it is from the 20th century, here in the US we call a 1930 desk antique.

We need a lot more years on our old classic whalers before we can call them antique (2050) but there are many antique sail and power boats (all wood).
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:53 am

Here in Florida the state calls any boat 20 years or older an antique. You can obtain a antique registration.

ASIDE ON THE COST OF BOAT REGISTRATION: the cost to register an antique boat drops to $4. Next year my 1986 15-footer will be an antique. I'll have thre antique boats, a 1959 Sea Fury, a 1961 13-footer, and a 1986-15 footer. The cost to register all three boats will be about thirteen dollars and change.

rich

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:26 am

In Michigan the [Department of Motor Vehicles] considers 25-year-old [vehicles to be] classic.

ASIDE ON COST OF BOAT REGISTRATION: I don't think the cost [of boat registration] goes down between a 20-year-old and a 30-year-old boat. We pay registration for three years at the time--and cost is reasonable for the pleasure we get out of it but a lot more than the couple of dollars Rich talks about.

ASIDE ON COST OF TRAILER REGISTRATION: Introduced a couple of years ago, we pay only a one-time fee for our non-commercial trailer plates and registration--no more yearly tags--which makes that a lot cheaper as we keep our Whalers for a long time.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

conch

Postby conch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:57 pm

In the Florida where I live in the rules and costs are a little different than what Binkster posted.

Antique Vessel Registration Florida

Antique Vessel Registration
The following requirements must be met in order to be registered as an antique vessels:

At least 30 years old
Used for non-commercial (recreational) purposes only