Value of c.1968 16-footer

A conversation among Whalers
Carrieryan602

Value of c.1968 16-footer

Postby Carrieryan602 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:04 pm

[This article was posted as a reply to a thread on a completely different topic in a another forum. It has been moved to THE GAM for discussion of the general value of c.1968 16-foot Boston Whaler boats. The forum is organized by topic areas. Do not just willy-nilly add replies to threads about other topics. Start a new thread in the proper discussion area.--jimh]

Hello. I live in Wisconsin and was given a Boston Whaler boat from my dad when I purchased a cabin on a lake in northern Wisconsin. My dad owned [the boat] briefly and rarely used it. I have had the boat since 1998. The title has no information about the model or year.

I have recently found out my boat is a 1968 Katama 16. I am Interested in selling the boat but I have no idea of the value. It's in good condition with a cover, trailer, and working Evinrude 100-HP outboard engine. Any suggestions [about the value of the boat or how to determine the value of the boat] would be greatly appreciated.

jimh

Re: Value of c.1968 16-footer

Postby jimh » Fri May 26, 2017 11:57 pm

I recommend you contact Twin Cities Marine in Two RIvers, Wisconsin, and ask someone in their used boat or brokerage department for an estimate of the value of the boat. They are familiar with Boston Whaler boats.

In general, boats that have very little use, and when used were used in cold freshwater, that have been stored indoors, and retain all of their original major components can have a respectable value as a classic Boston Whaler boat--a value much greater than the run of the mill 49-year-old small boat.

The most important element for determining value of a 49-year-old Boston Whaler boat will be the condition of the hull and the wooden components. This cannot be determined except by in-person inspection. Even with many photographs--and here we have zero photographs--the condition cannot be accurately assessed. On in-person inspection can reveal the true condition.

The value of a 49-year-old Evinrude engine is not particularly large, unless it appealed to an antique outboard engine collector.

A 49-year-old trailer may be useful, but it probably needs a major overhaul to become road-worthy and safe to use.

Boats like yours sell for anywhere from $500 to $5,000. This is a good time of year to sell, as boating season is beginning in Wisconsin--as soon as hockey season ends.