1983 Outrage 18 Faults Specific to Model

A conversation among Whalers
sjp2

1983 Outrage 18 Faults Specific to Model

Postby sjp2 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:33 am

Are there some [well-known or common] faults with [a c.1983 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18 boat] I should be looking for when buying one?

For example, [is there a well-known or common fault with the] fuel tank?

I don't want to buy a boat that is too much a project. I would like occasionally to use the an OUTRAGE 18 for its intended purposes.

A 1983 Outrage 18 [that is being considered for purchase has] no bottom paint; its outboard engines are not very good; its [depth] sounder [and other non-specific devices are] dated. Basically [I] would be paying for the hull and trailer.

Simon

ConB

Re: 1983 Outrage 18 faults or problems

Postby ConB » Tue May 30, 2017 7:52 am

A 34 year old boat with no engines and dated electronics is a project.

Yes, fuel tanks are dubious at this age. Some are still OK, some not so good.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Re: c.1983 Outrage 18 Faults Specific to Model

Postby jimh » Tue May 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Buying a 1983 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18 boat and not giving any value in the purchase for c.1983 outboard engines or c.1983 marine electronics is the best way to buy the boat. Unless you were trying to re-built the boat as a museum exhibit that actually ran, you'd not want to have c.1983 engines or electronics, so why pay for them when you buy the boat.

Just about ANY boat that was made in c.1983 may have rubber fuel hoses that are not rated for exposure to the now-common blended fuels containing gasoline and ethanol. The rubber fuel hoses should have prominent markings that show the date of manufacture and their tolerance for alcohol fuels. Generally, any hose made prior to c.1987 is likely to be not rated for alcohol fuel and should be replaced. This is nothing specific to the 18-foot, the OUTRAGE hull, or the Boston Whaler brand. It's across all boats from that epoch.

Boston Whaler boats from this era use fuel tanks made from welded aluminum plate. The tanks were fitted to the central fuel tank cavity, and then foam was used to help hold them in place. Problems have been seen in many boats with tank corrosion leading to small leaks in the tank walls. The corrosion is typically a result of the surrounding foam being saturated with water. The aluminum develops small pits that eventually leak.

Fittings on the top of the fuel tank, particularly the large circular fittings where the tank fuel withdrawal fittings attach often have leaking gaskets.

There is no guarantee that a c.1983 tank will be corroded and need replacement, but it can easily be the case. The probability of tank damage from corrosion from wet foam varies according to how the boat was used and mostly how it was stored. If the boat was well maintained and the caulked seals in the fuel tank cover were maintained, if the cockpit was not allowed to fill up with water from rain or from the sea coming aboard, and it the tank's surround foam was kept clean and dry, there is much less chance of aluminum fuel tank wall corrosion.

The replacement of a fuel tank in a boat like an OUTRAGE 18 is quite a project, both from labor and component expense. If overhauling the tank, you should replace all the fuel lines at the same time. The tank cost will probably be about $1,000 or more. The hoses and new clamps will probably be several hundred dollars. Once you pull of the center deck section that covers the tank you will have a chance of finding all the backing wood is rotten, so you will have to fix that while you have the boat torn apart. I think you probably will have to unmount the center console and clear all the rigging out of the way. So there is a lot of rather ugly, nasty, dirty labor, and some considerable expense. Not looking for a project? Well, be careful about buying any 34-year-old boat.

sjp2

Re: 1983 Outrage 18 Faults Specific to Model.

Postby sjp2 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:29 am

Looking at the price of similar [Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18 boats] here, most with old motors are fairly cheap. According to what i've seen the value is less than half of the advertised price of $18,000.

Sentimental value is one thing to mention. The person selling [the 1983 OUTRAGE 18] mentioned it is their dad's boat, and at ninety he is too old to use it.

jimh

Re: 1983 Outrage 18 Faults Specific to Model.

Postby jimh » Wed May 31, 2017 1:50 pm

The people most attracted to Boston Whaler boats are probably people who grew up in an era of the Boston Whaler being a new design, a popular boat, and an expensive boat. That means those people--like me--are now in their late 50's or older. And we've already bought one, or two, or three of these classic Boston Whaler boats. The market for them is not one of infinite demand. And now, more than ever, in classic models people want the newest older model they can get. A 1983 OUTRAGE 18 is not in that category of newest older model.

On that basis, I will offer a comment on what I think of the value of the boat being discussed. I think an asking price of $18,000 for a 1983 OUTRAGE 18 with older engine, electronics, and trailer is probably very optimistic. Ten years ago, maybe it would fetch that price. Today, it will be a hard sell.