2014 240 DAUNTLESS Cushions Have Pink Spots

A conversation among Whalers
1stwhaler

2014 240 DAUNTLESS Cushions Have Pink Spots

Postby 1stwhaler » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:32 am

I purchased a 2014 Dauntless 240 as a leftover in 2016. The following season most of the cushions were developing pink blotches. Luckily the one-year-warranty was not up and the dealer replaced all the bow cushions. Fast forward to this season. Almost all my cushions including the replacements are developing pink blotches. Anyone else having this [problem]? I doubt [Boston Whaler] will replace [the cushions] [as having an original defect in their manufacture under the terms of the warranty,] but I am going to call [Boston Whaler].
Last edited by 1stwhaler on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jefecinco

Re: Cushions have pink spots

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:54 am

I've seen some web discussions attributing pink spots and blotches on white vinyl upholstery to exposure to sunscreen lotions. If that is correct I would think the best way to avoid a recurrence would be to clean the vinyl following any outing that includes sunscreen. Probably a good rinse and washing with a mild detergent after an outing would remove any sunscreen residue. If the vinyl is washed that should be followed with a 303 Protectant treatment to maintain the vinyl elasticity. Frequent 303 treatment of vinyl upholstery seems to make follow-up treatment and cleaning very easy for me.
Butch

Joe 15 SS LTD

Postby Joe 15 SS LTD » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:00 am

Could be mold. Do a Google search on pink mold on boat upholstery--Joe

1stwhaler

Postby 1stwhaler » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Boston Whaler replaced the cushions last year. They admitted that the new foam that is used has a chemical that is used during the process to make the foam that causes the staining. I should have mentioned this. After spending $98,000 for the [boat] I expect the cushions to last more than one year without any [defects]. [I hope Boston Whaler] will stand by [their] product and replace the current cushions. if anyone else has the same problem, I will post how [I] made out .

1stwhaler

Postby 1stwhaler » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Butch--I have owned two new Stingray boats, three new Boston Whalers, and I have been boating for 45 years, and I've been using sunscreen for 30 years. I do not roll my face on the corner of a cushion to rub sunscreen on a cushion. Thanks for your information.

rtk

Postby rtk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:27 am

Coppertone spray-on Sport suntan protection does exactly what Butch says. I stopped using it- not only stained my vinyl but my clothes and the stain was an orange-pink hue.

Also eventually ate up the rubber grips on my golf clubs- I kid you not!

Rich

waynec

Postby waynec » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:15 pm

I have a 2013 Dauntless and the same thing happened to the bow cushion. It got pink stains that won't come out. There is a 19-foot Key West docked behind me, and I noticed on his helm leaning post the same pink stains. It's not a problem unique to [Boston Whaler]. I'd like to know how to get rid of it[. N]othing I've tried so far seems to work.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:25 pm

If the discolorations are truly caused from within, I would assume Boston Whaler would and should take care of [providing a remedy].

Otherwise, [that is, if the discoloration are not truly caused from within]--no matter if you use sunscreen, eat, and sit naked on these vinyl cushions--the best maintenance is cleaning after use. We do use all kinds of different spray, lotion, and oil-type sunscreen when we are boating. And, yes, we don't rub our faces on the vinyl. But your arms and legs will touch it.

Just a wipe off and occasional cleaning with a mild grease cutting (dish)soap should stop anything caused by grease coming of the body.

Personally I'm [wary] of "protectants" as I once had Armor-All deteriorate my inside (vinyl type) door handles on a car, they just crumbled apart after a year like the golf club grips mentioned, but they looked great and new for a while.

My 2007 Boston Whaler cushions do not show blotches; they show as-new on the top. Their foam was in a plastic bag and wrapping to keep it from soaking up water. I assume Boston Whaler is still using that method, and, if not and it comes through the vinyl from the inside, they have a manufacturing problem they should stand behind.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

mud-channel

Postby mud-channel » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:18 pm

You might have rust stains from the Avobenzone in the sunscreen reacting with salt or sweat. I have used Whink Rust Stain Remover for this problem.

You also might have a Streptoverticillium secretion problem. Pop that word into the search function over at the old forum for some info. Good luck!

MUD

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:25 pm

1stwhaler--please note that I said I'd read web discussions on the subject. I'm not selling the idea although I believe it as do some other forum members. I've never experienced the problem but I do care for our cushions carefully. If you're in doubt that the discussions exist please try a google search on the subject.
Butch

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Lots of information is avail[able].

The pink does exist.

Whether [the pink stain is cause by] a defect or a particular mold, it happens.

Moisture is one problem. Dry everything and it gets better. Unless you take the covers off the foam, it never dries.
Remove covers from foam and dry it all. Mild Clorox always seemed to help, but you are on your own using it.

The Pink seems to come back.

Maybe we are not supposed to have all that vinyl covered foam on board.

Jadoca

Postby Jadoca » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:14 pm

A cushion can be never used [if the cushion is] sitting in your house and still turn pink. [The cause of the pink spots] is a material problem, per [some unidentified source just referred to as] dealer.

jimh

Re: 2014 240 DAUNTLESS Cushions Have Pink Spots

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:11 pm

I have cushions that were OEM on 1990 Boston Whaler. They don't have pink spots. We use sunscreen on our faces and exposed skin.

While Boston Whaler does provide customers with a ten-year warranty against defects in the original manufacturer of their hulls, I do not believe they extend that same ten year coverage to items like vinyl upholstery. Check the manufacturer's warranty statement to see exactly what sort of coverage, if any, applies to items like upholstered cushions.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:30 am

Jadoca wrote:A cushion can be never used [if the cushion is] sitting in your house and still turn pink. [The cause of the pink spots] is a material problem, per [some unidentified source just referred to as] dealer.

If I understand you comment, I think you are suggesting that pink spots appeared on the second set of cushions spontaneously while they were still sitting in your house, prior to exposure to sunlight, sunscreen, or contact with human skin. Is that what you were saying in your remarks above? Sorry, but they were not clear to me.

If you have been informed by an authorized Boston Whaler dealer that there is a defect in the original manufacture of the cushions, then ask the dealer to replace them for you. If the dealer is correct in his determination of the cause of the pink spots, then I am certain that Boston Whaler will replace them at no cost to you or the dealer. However, if the dealer has decided himself that there is a defect but Boston Whaler has not come to that same determination, perhaps the dealer will replace the cushions at his cost.

Dealers who tell their customers who just boat a bought from them, that, in the dealer's opinion, the boat contains defects in original manufacture that the boat builder is unwilling to stand behind, are probably not going to remain a dealer for that brand for long. If the dealer is correct, and the boat builder is making shoddy products, the dealer is likely to abandon that brand. On the other hand, if the dealer is wrong, and he is disparaging the boat builder to his customers that just bought a boat of that brand, the boat builder is probably not going to be very happy with that dealer.

In most instances, you buy a boat from a dealer, not from a manufacturer. If you are not satisfied with the product quality you need to seek redress from the dealer. If the dealer lays off the blame on the boat builder, he is not much of a dealer.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:34 am

rtk wrote:Coppertone spray-on Sport suntan protection does exactly what Butch says. I stopped using it- not only stained my vinyl but my clothes and the stain was an orange-pink hue.

Rich--many thanks for that observation, that is, that use of particular sun screen agents and brands has been known to cause stains on upholstered cushions.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 am

mud-channel wrote:You also might have a Streptoverticillium secretion problem. Pop that word into the search function over at the old forum for some info.

I followed the advice from MUD and found this informative and precisely on-topic discussion in the OLD FORUM at

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/020250.html

Also, I found a related article about the problem of pink stains on boat cushions at

http://specialtyfabricsreview.com/2016/10/20/beating-the-pink-stain-problem-in-marine-fabrics/

Based on those references, my doubt has increased that the cause of the pink stains on upholstered cushions supplied by Boston Whaler is due to a defect in their original manufacture. If a dealer told me that the stains were caused by a defect in the manufacture of the cushions, I'd be unlikely to take that as gospel.

I recommend reading the second article I have linked above. The article suggests a possible cleaning agent that will be "extremely effective as an antimicrobial in vinyl textiles": Head and Shoulders hair shampoo.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:33 am

In the Owner's Manual for a 2014 Boston Whaler 240 DAUNTLESS, I found the following:

From the Warranty statement:

EXCLUSIONS
...This warranty also does not apply to the following
items:
...(3) Damage, deterioration, discoloration or mold of cushions...

From the Care & Maintenance section, under the heading "To Clean Your Cushions":

Complete cleaning instructions are included in the owner’s packet. Read
all information provided by the cushion manufacturer
regarding the proper cleaning and maintenance.

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:39 pm

BW says use rubbing alcohol in their manual.

1stwhaler

Postby 1stwhaler » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:28 pm

There appears to be confusion. The original bow cushions developed pink blotches. Boston Whaler replaced them under warranty due to a bacteria in the foam. The replacement cushions are turning pink after six months. Also the center console seat and rear seat cushion now have pink blotches.
Last edited by 1stwhaler on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1stwhaler

Postby 1stwhaler » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:32 pm

I have read the owner's manual, Thanks for all the suggestions.
Last edited by 1stwhaler on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:48 pm

MarineMax service departments enjoy a mixed reputation, mostly not particularly wonderful.

They are undoubtedly selling a lot of boats now. Plus, the season has moved into high gear, and I'm sure the service manager is pulling out his hair because he lacks the resources to meet all his demands in a timely manner. Because your problems do not interfere with your ability to use the boat, returning your call is probably very low on the priority list.

Your dealer has demonstrated good intentions by replacing your bow cushion under warranty. I'd be surprised if they do not continue to take care of your warranty claims.

In your position I would document your claim in writing with pictures and send it to the dealer with a receipt--requirements to establish the problem occurred during the warranty period. I would then continue to use the boat until the season nears its end, and then drop-in to see the service manager.

Pink spots are common across boating brands. The marine environment is hard on things. There is no reason to single out Boston Whaler as providing cheap workmanship except to vent.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:12 pm

FIRST-WHALER: I don't quite understand why you keep seeking a remedy under the terms of the warranty for your boat cushions. The warranty explicitly exempts cushions from coverage under the warranty provided with a new boat purchase. If you received free replacement cushions, you already received a non-mandated benefit as a goodwill gesture from Boston Whaler, not something guaranteed under the warranty. I don't understand why you condemn Boston Whaler's product.

When you purchased the boat, the cushions were part of the items you purchased. If you thought the cushions were poorly made, you should have objected to them at the time of purchase. If you are not satisfied with the workmanship used to fabricate the replacement cushions you received at no charge, you should have not accepted them, and at that time insisted on some other remedy to your satisfaction.

I deleted your reference to politicians. Do not introduce politicians or politics into this discussion. The GAM forum discusses boating, not politics. Readers come here for boating information, not to hear your political views. I strongly advise you to refrain from introducing political figures into this discussion.

Your accusation that other participants here are willing to accept poor workmanship in products they purchase is unfounded. You have no basis to make such a broad statement about other participants in this forum. You seem to now be insulting other participant by suggesting they lack the same sort of standards of workmanship that you demand. Please do not make such accusations. You clearly do not understand the people who participate here.

Wirenut

Postby Wirenut » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 pm

I purchased a new 2002 Boston Whaler 180 Dauntless. Its bow cushions also developed pink spots even before anyone sat on them. At that time my dealer said they would replace the cushions under warranty because of a known defect: a reaction between the foam and the vinyl. After a month the pink spots disappeared.

Sea Hunt boats had the same big problem and replaced customers' cushions years after they had purchased their boats. I would expect Boston Whaler to do the same.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:06 pm

WIRENUT--if I understand your narrative, there ultimately was no problem with the Boston Whaler cushions. You say "the pink spots disappeared." So there was no defect in their original manufacture. Is that you statement? Please clarify if I read it wrong.

In your opinion, how many years of coverage should be added to the warranty (where none existed) to cover the appearance of pink spots on cushions?

Also, is there any limitation on the warranty you desire? I mean, for example, if a customer of Boston Whaler leaves their boat cushions exposed continuously to sun, rain, heat, cold, allows them to be saturated with water, and applies all manner of sunscreen to the vinyl, would there be any limitation to the warranty?

Please don't misunderstand my questions. I am just trying to understand exactly what you expect from Boston Whaler regarding the revision of the warranty coverage from no-warranty to your desired warranty.

1stwhaler

Postby 1stwhaler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the Great input, just to recap
Purchased boat in July of 2016 as a left over, I live in the Northeast so the boating season is very short, I used the Boat from Mid July to October 1st 2016 (then the cushions were removed and stored in my 3rd floor living area), in 2.5 months of use the bow cushions which are very high quality developed pink blotches, I filed a claim with BW, BW asked me if I wanted all the cushions replaced I said no (being a nice guy), I asked them to replace the bow cushions only because I did not want to be Greedy, the new bow cushions arrived . The new bow cushions arrived during the late fall of 2016 (after the boating season), they were stored inside my living area of my house. The Boat was in the water May 2017 and the new bow cushions after one month of exposure to the elements started developing pink blotches along with the stern seat and bait well cushions. I have since filed a 2nd claim and currently waiting for Boston Whaler's response.

Yes I understand that the warranty for the cushions are one year, the first set were only 2 months old, and the second set of bow cushions were only one month old (of use, in hand 6 months) before the spots started, yes the original cushions that were not replaced developed the pink blotches after the one year warranty.

The dealer that I purchased the boat from did say to me they are aware that BW is having problems with the foam causing the pink blotches. I have read that it is mainly a problem with White cushions. I also found a company that uses UV lights along with a chemical to kill the bacteria which also removes the pink blotches, but they are not in my area.

1stwhaler

Postby 1stwhaler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:33 pm

I received a recall notice to have the Fuel Demand Valve insert to the fuel tank replaced ASAP. Reason: Worst case scenario the original FDV could leak gasoline into the hull. So Boston Whaler are aware of a known problem and are fixing the problem.

I feel Boston WHaler should replace the cushions if there is a known manufacturing problem with the foam inserts on the cushions. I am sure they are changing the manufacturer of the foam material. But odds are consumers like me will not be notified.

The 240 Dauntless is the best boat I have owned, I am located where I need shallow draft to get in and out of my area, I have over 300-hours on it, the boat's performance is incredible and I hope to enjoy it for a long time. I kept my last Whaler, a Montauk 170, for 14 years.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:33 pm

I completely agree: manufacturers who offer a warranty against defects in original manufacture of their products should stand behind the warranty and provide customers with a remedy for such products that are found to be defective in original manufacture in the original warranty period, and, in some cases, in an extended warranty period if the defect is really egregious.

I don't know that dealers are authoritative about the actual policy of Boston Whaler regarding defects in original manufacture of Boston Whaler boats. I would rely solely on Boston Whaler to publish notices of extended warranty or original warranty on particular products that have been discovered to be defective in their original manufacture. Anecdotal accounts of dealers offering statements about what warranties cover are not always reliable. I don't find it particularly useful to speculate about what Boston Whaler will do or will not do in the future in regard to offering extended warranty coverage on accessories that normally have only a one-year-warranty period.

I have some doubt that every white upholstered vinyl cushion sold by Boston Whaler in the last few years has been defective in original manufacture and has spontaneously developed pink spots before any exposure to sun, water, and suntan lotions in a period of a few weeks. Were that the case, there would be an enormous outcry from customers and an enormous campaign by Boston Whaler to provide a remedy. I can believe that some cushions have developed pink spots, but I don't know the cause was a defect in original manufacture. Boats sit around at dealers for months before they are sold, and if all white upholstered vinyl cushions spontaneously developed pink spots in a few weeks of non-use, there would be a lot of pink cushions on dealer showroom boats.

I am sure that having white upholstered vinyl cushions marred by the appearance of pink spots is quite annoying, and in the case of a boat like a 240 DAUNTLESS that has a lot of cushions and has areas specifically designed for lounging in the sun after swimming in water while wearing sun screen, those pink spots could easily be a major problem.

It is also possible that cushions on a boat at a marina could become infected with a bacteria from another boat nearby. The microbes could be carried by the wind from one boat to the next.

1stwhaler

Postby 1stwhaler » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Boston Whaler has approved replacing all of my cushions (the second time for bow cushions). They will be using new material next year, and I will have to wait until the new production starts next spring 2018. I am okay with waiting until then. As I have said before I have owned many brand new boats and have never experienced this problem until now. Thank You BW.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks for the follow-up on the remedy (which in the future will be) provided by Boston Whaler for the cushions--both sets--on your 2014 240 DAUNTLESS boat.

Comments made in this thread imply that Boston Whaler was the manufacturer of the cushion foam inserts and the vinyl upholstery covering them. I would be surprised if Boston Whaler were actually manufacturing boat cushions.

With the growth in their boat business and the recent several expansions of production facilities at Edgewater to build more and ever-larger boats, Boston Whaler would seem unlikely commit floor space, employees, and resources to sewing boat cushions. An item like a boat cushion would likely be sourced from an OEM manufacturer that specialized in foam-filled vinyl-covered boat cushions. (Perhaps some other division of Brunswick makes cushions.)

Also, the very wide spread occurrence of these pink spots on cushions of new boats of all brands further suggests that the cushions are not being made by Boston Whaler. If the cushions on Boston Whaler boats were made by Whaler, then why would this problem of pink spots be reported on boats of many other brands?

1stwhaler

Postby 1stwhaler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:49 pm

One year later my new cushions have arrived, Thank You Boston Whaler!

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Boston Whaler earns its excellent reputation anew. Thank you for the follow-up posting.