Water in Cushions

A conversation among Whalers
waynec

Water in Cushions

Postby waynec » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:39 am

I have a 2013 Dauntless 170. The cushions for the two seats in the stern have water inside, and I can' t seem to get it out or dry them. The vinyl cover is stapled on and doesn't come off the foam. I noticed the water when I took a seat off to clean the sump, and I saw green water dripping out when I set the seat on edge. Since then I've taken the cushions off the boat and stood them on edge in the sun hoping the water will all drain out. Aome does but a lot remains. It looks like the water entered via the stitching around the seat base. A few days ago I contacted Boston Whaler, but I haven't gotten any response. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jefecinco

Re: Water in Cushions

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:08 am

Just a couple of suggestions. Prevention is always best. If your boat is on a trailer and parked outside it is always best to keep it covered with a good cover that will keep most rain water and damaging UV light out. It's also a good idea to raise the trailer hitch with the jack provided on the trailer.

One of the most convenient features about our boats is the ease with which the cushions can be removed for cleaning and safe keeping. We remove ours between uses and store them inside.

The worst example of Boston Whaler quality I've seen were the aft quarter seat and back cushion on our Dauntless 16. Once removed for storage the normally hidden sides were simply awful. I removed all the poorly installed and excessive staples and replaced them with monel staples using an Arrow electric stapler. At least they then looked a lot better. To dry your cushions it may help to remove some staples on one side and let them drain. If that fails to get the job done you may need to take the cushions to an upholsterer for professional attention.

I wouldn't expect much from Boston Whaler as they may expect an owner to prevent such problems but you never know. You may have received some cushions from a batch which have proven to be problematic.

Carver Covers is a source of well made competitively priced covers that fit well. The web site is http://www.carvercovers.com/ if interested.
Butch

waynec

Postby waynec » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:01 pm

I just got an answer back from Boston Whaler Customer Service. They suggested putting the cushions on the ground and standing on them to squeeze the water out. The cushion has a hole in the center of the bottom the water should come out there. If not, they said to drill some extra holes in the bottom to help it come out, then put the [cushions] in the sun to help dry them out.

REALLY? I guess I was expecting a little more considering the cost of the boat.

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 pm

I believe the owners manual warns of leaving the cushions uncover because water enter through the stitching. Try leaving a wet vac on the hole.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Re the cushions in 2017 with water in them on a 2013 boat:

Was there water in the cushions when you took delivery of the boat? When did you take delivery?

Do you think there was a defect in the original manufacture of the cushions?

If I understand you comment, "REALLY? I...was expecting a little more...", I infer you were expecting to receive replacement cushions at no cost. Is that what you meant?

waynec

Postby waynec » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:11 am

jimh wrote:Re the cushions in 2017 with water in them on a 2013 boat:

Was there water in the cushions when you took delivery of the boat? When did you take delivery?

Do you think there was a defect in the original manufacture of the cushions?

If I understand you comment, "REALLY? I...was expecting a little more...", I infer you were expecting to receive replacement cushions at no cost. Is that what you meant?

I wasn't expecting new cushions I was taken back by the "HI-TECH" solution to removing water by standing on the cushion. I know it can happen (water intrusion) so does BW so how about a little better design such as seems in a different location so as not to collect water or at least a removable cover so the concern can be addressed.

waynec

Postby waynec » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:13 am

Whalerdog wrote:I believe the owners manual warns of leaving the cushions uncover because water enter through the stitching. Try leaving a wet vac on the hole.

I don't remember seeing that section in the owners manual!

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:28 am

Here are some quotes from the owner's manual for a 2013 170 DAUNTLESS boat:

From the WARRANTY statement:

EXCLUSIONS
This warranty also does not apply
to the following items:...
(3) Damage, deterioration, discoloration or mold of cushions...

From the Care & Maintenance section:

Your cushions are not waterproof. They are
constructed of open-cell foam and will absorb and
hold water. The foam is wrapped with a plastic barrier
which helps to keep water from being absorbed into
the foam but also will not allow water to dissipate
once the foam is soaked. Do not leave the cushions
in standing water or exposed to heavy, prolonged
rain.

If, in the event your cushions become waterlogged,
remove the foam from the cushion, press as much
water as you can from the foam and allow to air dry.
Make sure the plastic wrap is dry before wrapping
the foam and inserting it back into the cushion.
To prevent mildew, keep the vinyl dry and make
sure that moisture does not accumulate between the
cushions.