Danger in Cold Water

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Danger in Cold Water

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:01 am

On the weekend of June 10-11, 2017, there was a very strong wind pattern over Michigan, and sustained winds of 25-MPH from the South brought very warm air to the region. Air temperature on land in Traverse City was about 85-degrees, which is unusually warm for early June. However, water temperature in Grand Traverse Bay was still in the low-50-degree-F region.

Early Sunday evening, about 7 p.m., two teenagers who had been drinking alcohol decided to take a canoe out into the West Arm of Grand Traverse Bay. The were using a 2x4 for a paddle and had no PFD's. The canoe capsized several hundred yards offshore, and both went into the water. A person on the beach saw the capsize and set out in a kayak to offer assistance. The 17-year-old boy from the canoe was rescued and brought to shore. The 18-year-old boy from the canoe drowned. His body was recovered about 90-minutes later in 15-feet of water by marine patrols and USCG searchers.

Time of survival in 50-degree water is probably about one hour at most. Sudden immersion in cold water can cause a gasp reflex which might result in a person inhaling water into their lungs.

JTC

Re: Danger in Cold Water

Postby JTC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 am

Here's a great article on gcaptain about cold water survival. This article convinced me to always wear an inflatable PFD (you get used to it), and outfit my boats with wireless kill-switches.

http://gcaptain.com/cold_water/?11198

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 am

Jim--Thanks. Good info, again.

I think we "Northerners" here in Michigan are a little more familiar with the dangers of hypothermia. It is also mentioned in the ABC class. Our problem is we get in the water here, up north and Canada, that nobody south of the Mason-Dixie line would ever think of touching. Water that is 20-degree-colder water than a Floridian would think is cold, we think is nice and warm, But in reality, cold water reduces your survival time.

When boating in cold water, practice Man-Overboard [drills] so you can get out of the water quickly and efficiently. And the best way to survive is have on a PFD. Remember the 1-10-1 rule.

The article [linked above] says it all.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am

DUTCH--what is an ABC class?

What is the 1-10-1 rule?

jimp

Postby jimp » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:11 am

Jimh--I didn't know the 1-10-1 rule either. http://live.cgaux.org/?p=872
1 - Cold water shock
10 - Cold water incapacitation
1 - Hypothermia

ABC? - got me on that one

Years ago (c.1980) while stationed aboard the Coast Guard patrol boat in Seward, Alaska, on a bright sunny summer day, an 18-ft boat swamped 20-miles south of town, but 500-yards from an island. The boat had "level floatation" but two passengers decided to swim for the island. They each donned two life jackets and tied themselves to a cooler. They entered the water and swam halfway to the island and stopped. And didn't move anymore. Another boat came along and rescued the owner who was sitting on the windshield and wet from the knees down. Both the swimmers were dead. Water temp in the 50s.

JimP

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:50 am

If the 1-10-1 refers to minutes, then the rule is in contradiction to the linked article (at gcaptain) which asserts that hypothermia won't occur for as long as an hour.

The really best method to survive immersion in cold water is to not fall in the water.

There is a tragic story of the sinking of the SS DANIEL J MORRELL on Lake Huron in 1966. The 29-man crew abandoned ship into 34-degree water around 2 a.m. on November 29th. At 4 p.m. on November 30th, the USCG discovered a lifeboat, with only one crew still alive. He was Dennis Hale, who 30-years later in 1996 wrote (with three other authors) an account of the sinking, Sole Survivor: Dennis Hale's Own Story. I met the Dennis at a boating-diving-wreck-hunting event in Alpena, Michigan, around the time of the book's publication, had a brief chat with him, and bought his book. He passed away in 2015 at age 75.

soleSurvivorCover.jpg
soleSurvivorCover.jpg (63.34 KiB) Viewed 8044 times

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:26 pm

1 1 minute to overcome (don't) panic
10 10 Minutes before you loose control of deliberate muscle movements.
1 1 hour before you become complete unconscious.

ABC is a course offered by the US Power Squadrons called America's Boating Course. This is a basic course recommended for any new boater and young teenagers. I recommend this course to anybody. You could take the course a class offered by your local Squadron or on the net.
EJO

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:46 pm

DUTCH--I think you need to change the rule's name to 1-10-60. That makes more sense. Changing units of time in the middle of the rule adds confusion.

I don't need a course to know the danger of cold water. Just reading this thread makes a sufficient impression that there is danger in cold water. Cf.: the thread's title.

ConB

Postby ConB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Under the heading of an accident waiting to happen are the folks using the Stand Up Paddle Boards. Way too many of these offshore, and many with no PFD.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Yes--stand-up paddle boards are quite unstable. I saw some folks using them recently in Grand Traverse Bay, wearing scuba-type diving suits. I don't know if they were wet-suits or dry-suits. But taking a flyer into really cold water--even with a diving suit--might be risky.

sjp2

Postby sjp2 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:34 pm

wow - opened my eyes ,not only the cold water part (i live in the tropics)but also wearing a pfd,my son bought me an inflatable 2 birthdays ago and i have never put it on,in saying that , i have never worn one even when out by my self on the water at night or day .

Buckda

Postby Buckda » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:58 pm

When "summer" camp starts in the Eastern UP (April 29), the bay is usually just a few weeks ice-free. Three years ago, there was still ice on the shallow parts of the bay when we began giving "swim tests" so students could sail our Sunfish. Only the hardiest of college students give it a go (Michigan Tech kids are pretty hardy!). We have them get in the water (lifeguards only feet from them) and adjust to the temperature, then swim 30 yards, tread water for 30 seconds and swim back. Mostly, it's to show them how their body will react to the cold water...and also to drive home the point: don't mess around out in the bay - we have to run to the boat, get it going and get out there to rescue them...and then bring them back. We make extensive use of space and wool blankets aboard the rescue boats for the return.

we also force them to wear PFD's on all boats...and we are sticklers about it. I can tell you from standing in calf-deep sub-50 degree water for afternoons on end that you won't survive too long if your whole body was immersed. PFD does add a layer of insulation to your core, but you need to have a game plan - preferably before you enter the water - for how you are going to get out. Your muscles won't respond how you want them to after a few minutes and you won't be able to haul yourself back into your boat unassisted.

We teach our lifeguards to shut off the motor and use the motor's hydraulic Trim and Tilt to help get "bigger" people back in. It works, but it is not graceful!

In fact, this is the only benefit to a "Doel-Fin" that I can think of - a good foot pad to put your foot on when trying to re-enter the boat from the stern (with the motor off).

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:20 pm

Buckda
Love the motor trim assist for getting out. No matter how it looks if it work it is good.
EJO