150 MONTAUK and 170 MONTAUK: Removing Livewell; Ride Characteristic

A conversation among Whalers
altouchet@yahoo.com

150 MONTAUK and 170 MONTAUK: Removing Livewell; Ride Characteristic

Postby altouchet@yahoo.com » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm looking at some used late-model Montauk 150 boats, but I would prefer one without the livewell in the [stern].

Can [a livewell in the stern of a MONTAUK 150] be removed?

If so, will there be any other hardware that would have to be removed?

I grew up with 15 to 16-foot tri-hull runabouts when I was a kid, and currently have a Sea Hunt Triton 20-footer. I would like to downsize. Will the ride of a Montauk 150 or 170 fall somewhere in between these styles in light to moderate chop?

jimh

Re:150 MONTAUK and 170 MONTAUK: Removing Livewell; Ride Characteristic

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:55 pm

I have some doubts that there will be a large number of readers who have owned 15-foot to 16-foot tri-hull boats, have also owned a 20-foot Sea Hunt Triton boat, and now happen to own a 150 MONTAUK or 170 MONTAUK, so that they meet your criteria for offering a comparison of the ride characteristics of those many boats. I think the number of readers who meet those stringent qualifications might be one--you.

I'd offer that the 170 MONTAUK is probably one of the better 17-foot boats you can buy today, and the 150 MONTAUK is probably not too far behind in ride characteristics. Really, we are talking about small boats, and there is not any 15-footer or 17-footer than is going to be able to go charging through five-foot breaking head seas, no matter how many enthusiastic owners testify that they can.

You will be better served by going for a sea trial in a 170 MONTAUK or a 150 MONTAUK and getting your own opinion of how they handle various sea states.

As for how much difficulty there will be in removal of a livewell and what after-effects will remain, I recommend you contact Boston Whaler customer service. Get their opinion about making an alteration to a Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK or 150 MONTAUK that was built with the livewell option. The customer support folks will give you a straight answer.

As a general rule, I would not buy a boat that has a factory option that I immediately wanted to remove. Most factory options increase the price of a boat, whether it is a new boat or a used boat, so it makes no sense to purchase a boat with an expensive option and then set about making the option go away.

Dutchman

Re: 150 MONTAUK and 170 MONTAUK: Removing Livewell; Ride Characteristic

Postby Dutchman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:11 pm

The live-well on a Montauk 150 is not an integral part and an add on and therefore removable. But like Jim said if it comes with one I wouldn't remove it. It can be a nice storage compartment and an extra place to sit. I think the 170 layout is the same.
As for ride quality, your current Triton due to its size and weight will ride smoother than both the Montauks and the 170 being larger than the 150 will ride slightly smoother than that 150 in the same conditions.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot