New Whaler.. Dumb User

A conversation among Whalers
Outrage45

New Whaler.. Dumb User

Postby Outrage45 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Guys- I have two problems with a new Outrage250 that I'm hoping the forums expertise can help with.

1. In rough chop between 2-4 ft seas I can't seem to get the tabs and engines working together. The boat is either pointing straight up and I can't see or the speed kicks up and eventually my guts are rattled. I've read 100 articles and still can't figure out how to use the trim tabs and engine as a team?

2. With Twin 225's we're hitting 50 mph (based on GPS Speed) on a good day WOT. However, I can't get the RPM's past 5200, which based on my last Verado seems quite low. Any tips?

I apologize for how often these questions come up and now I'm adding to them. I just can't seem to find and conclusive answers. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Jefecinco

Re: New Whaler.. Dumb User

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Are your new engines Verados? With the horsepower on your Outrage I'm surprised you need trim tabs to get on plane. You may want to consider your propeller and mounting height options before worrying about the trim tabs.
Butch

Phil T

Re: New Whaler.. Dumb User

Postby Phil T » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:02 am

With a new boat from the factory, I would not suspect the props are a cause unless they have been changed.

Here is the factory performance report. Note the low test weight.
http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/250-Outrage-Performance-2016.pdf

With bottom paint I would anticipate you to be able to get to 49-50. Are you sure the RPM's are not 6200 and not 5200. Either the gauge is wrong or the GPS speed is incorrect.

With every boat, one should evaluate the running behavior with some scientific experimentation. Take notes and make 1 measured change, observe, note, remove change, introduce 2nd change, observe, note etc.

I would try using just the engine trim with various levels of trim IN. After observing all those, go back and add measured tab action to each trim setting to see what behavior is.

In rough chop, you most likely want the bow down so that would mean engines trimmed in with a bit of tabs down. I would think 23-25 mph would be the optimum speed in those conditions.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003