NAUSET Hull Weight

A conversation among Whalers
Mgrappone

NAUSET Hull Weight

Postby Mgrappone » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:00 pm

I am in the process of re-doing my Nauset hull. It is currently stripped of railings and console. Prior to my beginning the restorative process I want to be sure I have a [hull] that is somewhat dry.

I know the transom has rotted. I removed it.

I have [the NAUSET boat without railings and console] on scales and it currently is weighing in at 600-lbs.

Specifications suggest a dry hull should weigh about 825-lbs. My hunch is that number includes railings and console.

I am sure within the forum there is information to support or otherwise provide correct information. I look forward to hearing from someone smarter than me.

Paul A

Re: Nausett Hulls

Postby Paul A » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:17 pm

My 1966 Nauset weighed 700-lbs-- hull only, no rails. The 1966 owner's manual says bare hull should be 500-lbs. Mine registered wet with a moisture meter at a Boston Whaler dealer. I did one-hundred-percent restoration anyway, finishing 99-percent today. The finished boat is beautiful. I spent at least 70 hours total, and 60 of that was sanding and fairing. I sprayed everything except five epoxy barrier coats under waterline that were rolled. Enjoy the process!

jimh

Re: NAUSET Hull Weight

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

The weight of a NAUSET is not listed in the REFERENCE section. The specifications are given at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/

The 850-lbs specification is for a STANDARD model of c.1999 vintage and is clearly described as that. You are confusing yourself if you think this represents the weight of a NAUSET made many years earlier in the 1960's and 1970's.

In the Boston Whaler sales literature for 1963 the weight of a "bare hull" of 16-feet 7-inch model is listed as 500-lbs. By 1973 the bare hull weight was up to 550-lbs.

That a 40 or 50-year-old NAUSET hull today weighs 600-lbs is quite reasonable. But I am confused by your comments about the transom. If there is no transom on the boat and it weighs 600-lbs in bare hull configuration, then it is a bit heavy. It has probably picked up some water in the hull.