Potential New Owner of a 13-footer

A conversation among Whalers
Logan80

Potential New Owner of a 13-footer

Postby Logan80 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:14 pm

I've been looking into buying a Boston Whaler Sport 13 and have been reading all that I can on them. I've learned quite a bit but still have some unanswered questions.

I think I've narrowed it down to a 1980 or newer for the updated steering, and I like the stainless steering wheel. Part of me wants to go with 1990's or newer so that it won't have any wood in it which would make maintenance much easier. Especially here in the Pacific northwest where the boat will get rained on a lot, even under a cover, it will get wet inside.

I'm curious as to whether or not the Super Sport railings can be replaced with the standard Sport side railings? I like the side rails but don't want the bow rail at all. Is it a simple swap or is there more to it than that?

How often are these boats waterlogged? I've read some things that make me nervous about buying an older boat because I don't want to have to deal with drilling, draining. and repairing it. Is this a serious concern or a fairly rare event?

Any specific advice on things to look out for? I'm not worried about the [outboard engine]--I can handle that part. I am mostly curious about concerns or features to look for on the boat itself.

jimh

Re: Potential New Owner of a 13-footer

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:42 am

For advice on buying a classic Boston Whaler boat, read my article on that topic, written about 17-years ago and still valid:

Buying Classic Boston Whaler Boats
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html

Boston Whaler boats can have their hull weight increase due to ingress of water, but by no means is this a problem on every boat. Boats that have been damaged and not repaired are the most likely to have absorbed water into their foam interior. A boat that has no damage to the hull, has had its gel coat outer layer properly cared for (so it is free from small cracking and crazing), and has not been sitting in the water year-round for 30-years without a barrier coat or anti-fouling paint should have a dry hull and the specified hull weight.

When buying a used Boston Whaler the most important criteria should be condition. You sound as if you don't want to buy a restoration project. There are many very nice older boats available in excellent condition, and you should, with some patience, be able to find one that suits you. In the Pacific northwest you might not find as many older 13-footers in pristine condition as can be located in the upper midwest on freshwater lakes.

I can't speak from first-hand experience, but to remove a bow rail on a 13-footer should not be very hard. It would involve just disassembly of the rails and removal of the rail bases. Typically everything is fastened with screws into embedded wood. You'd just take off the rails and fill the old fastener holes.