Inspecting Used Boston Whaler Boats

A conversation among Whalers
Spc337

Inspecting Used Boston Whaler Boats

Postby Spc337 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 am

I'm considering purchasing an older Outage 18 with Yamaha 150 and good trailer. The fuel tank and hoses were replaced and look in great shape. It has a partial teak floor and teak gunwales. The price is [$17,000] which seems high given the engine. The electronics are more recent: Garmin 740.

I like the extra beam and storage on the OUTRAGE 18 and its fuel system. I have two young kids so think this is a better boat for the Pacific northwest.

The seller mentions a heavy duty gel coat but I can't figure out if that was an original option or done later.

Anything in particular I should look for during an inspection?

Thanks
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

jimh

Re: Inspecting Used Boston Whaler Boats

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am

When considering a used Boston Whaler boat, I would specifically check for the following:

--integrity of the transom; look for any sign of water ingress; look for mechanical weakness in the transom by using the outboard gear case as a lever arm and exerting bending force to the transom;

--integrity of the hull bottom and all underwater surfaces; look for any indication of damage that resulted in a puncture or opening of the gel coat layer; if the hull has anti-fouling paint there may be repaired areas that are obscured by the paint; make a careful visual inspection;

--that all original components of the boat are present and intact; in particular the navigation lamps, railings, hatch covers, seats, console, and so on; these components are difficult to find and expensive to replace if they are missing;

--the general condition of the boat and how well it has been cared for; the gel coat layer should not be dull, oxidized, and cracked; it should be crack-free, have no wavy distortions, and have a nice lustre; there should be no top-coating of paint on the gel coat, except possibly anti-fouling paint on the hull bottom, which then should be properly applied and follow the natural waterline;

--the static water line of the boat; at rest the drains of the engine splash well should be just at the waterline or perhaps partially submerged; boats that sit with the transom splash well drains completely below the water line may have gained hull weight due to ingress of water or have too much weight in the stern (such as multiple engines, batteries, or other gear);

--the integrity and condition of the aluminum below-deck fuel tank; remove all the deck pry-out access plates and make a close visual inspection of the tank surfaces; a boat in good condition will have a fuel tank that retains the aluminum primer paint color (a green-gray), and the tank surface will be free from dirt, mold, and black gunk; check the fuel lines to be certain they clearly show they are tolerant of alcohol fuel; generally rubber fuel line made prior to c.1987 will not be alcohol-tolerant and must be replaced. Replacement is expensive and labor intensive.

Also see my article which will mention these points and a few others. See

Buying Classic Boston Whaler Boats
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html

When considering a used outboard engine, see my remarks in a separate article:

Assessing Used Outboard Engines
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... Check.html

When considering a used trailer, I would specifically check for:

--current registration and licensing

--general condition of the frame, axles, springs and other major metal components

--required lighting, lamps, and associated wiring

--age and tread wear of tires

--lubrication and condition of wheel bearings

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 am

I have never heard of a Boston Whaler boat that has "heavy duty gel coat." Generally the thickness of the gel coat layer is limited to about 0.02-inch in order to avoid the gel coat layer from becoming too thick. Thick application of gel coat leads to cracking.

Perhaps the seller or you are confused and intend to describe the boat as having a heavier laminate schedule, and in Boston Whaler boats this is called a Work Boat hull. See the FAQ for more details on how to identify Boston Whaler boats that have a Work Boat hull:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

If no marking or indication is apparent, I would be skeptical about claims of a Work Boat hull.

That a boat with a Work Boat hull would preferred over a boat with the standard recreational hull is not intrinsic. Models laid up with heavier laminates will have a heavier hull. Boats with Work Boat hulls were usually intended for commercial or municipal law enforcement service, and may have a history of heavy use. Some boats intended only for recreational use may have been ordered with a Work Boat hull by their original buyer, but these are not particularly common boats to find.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 am

When considering a used boat, I would assess the boat electronics as follows, looking for this minimum level of electronics

--the engine gauges are preferred to be OEM branded gauges and should include a tachometer, a temperature gauge, a water pressure gauge, and a voltmeter;

--the boat should have a modern VHF Marine Band radio with CLASS-D DSC features and a proper antenna;

--a depth sounder or fish-finder or SONAR device with a properly mounted transducer on the transom; note that the mounting holes of any transducer on the transom should be carefully inspected for any sign of improper sealing. A good way to check is to remove one mounting screw and see if any water comes out of the transom.

If the boat has a GPS receiver and chart plotter, it is a plus. In general I would not assign a great value to the electronics unless they are very recent and of superior quality.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 pm

It could also be a Guardian 18, a CPD version of the recreational Outrage 18.

You don't specify year of the hull. For 17K, it reads as overpriced unless the engine is less than 2 years old, in MINT condition with a new trailer.

A mid 80's Outrage 18 in VERY GOOD conditon with a newish 4 stroke motor on a recent trailer sells for 10-15K (higher in CA, lower in FL).
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Spc337

Postby Spc337 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:28 pm

The motor is 2007 and that is when the fuel tank was replaced.

It's a good looking boat, never bottom painted. The heavy gel coat is strange. If this was a work boat, it would have been bottom painted.
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:20 am

I don't accept your hypothesis that all Boston Whaler boats fabricated with the Work Boat hull laminate schedule must intrinsically have anti-fouling paint on the hull bottom.

Perhaps you misunderstood the meaning of a hull with the Work Boat laminate schedule. It was an optional available on recreational boats.

As for "heavy duty gel coat" it is unknown to me--never heard of it.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:53 am

It is clear the writer of the sentence "heavy duty gelcoat" is mistaken and should have written "heavy duty fiberglass layup in select areas" which is referenced on CPD literature.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003