2005 Nantucket: What about the deal?

A conversation among Whalers
InVision

2005 Nantucket: What about the deal?

Postby InVision » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:55 pm

I took [a] first [look] at a [used] Boston Whaler 2005 Nantucket that has been always covered, has all original 2005 equipment, and has an Optimax 150.

The VHF radio is in poor condition.

The original stereo works but not outstanding.

[The c.2005 Mercury OptiMax] engine started right up and purred smoothly. [The engine running time is represented as being] 178 hours.

The hull really shows no spider webbing and is in good repair, [but there is] one bad scrape in the V-hull.

The Bimini [top] is fine.

All systems seemed to work.

[This particular boat is] probably one of the nicest 12-year-old Boston Whaler boats I have seen.

The trailer has new bearings and leaf springs. But it is in need of repair. Brakes have been disconnected and [the fenders] are trashed.

I really don't need the trailer except to pull out in case of hurricane and to take to get serviced-- a [distance by road of a] couple miles--because we have a dock and boat lift.

Missing [are] one rear cushion and one back rest is torn.

Two batteries were replace in 2015. The GPS receiver and fishfinder combo is old but has a new transducer.

They are asking $20,000--firm.

I would like to hear from members about what they think about the deal.

Should I ask for a compression check?

For a sea trial?

Here is a video

Thanks all--M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

Divin'Ivan

Re: Seeking advice on a 2005 Nantucket

Postby Divin'Ivan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 pm

[The NANTUCKET model in general] is a great hull, is very seaworthy, and a price of $20,000 is not bad if the engine checks out--but 178-hours running time seems very low for a 12-year-old boat.

Where has the boat been used? Freshwater? Or saltwater?

If you are serious about buying it, get the engine checked out by a Mercury mechanic that you pick.

It looks like the last oil change was done two years ago.

A sea trial will allow you to see what the engine speed maximum is at wide open throttle and make sure [that the speed obtained is] within specification.

Since that hull is still being produced as the 190 Outrage, all parts are readily available through Whaler.

Don't ponder too long or it will get snatched up from under your nose.

That gash at the bottom needs to be checked out to make sure it does not go too deeply into the fiberglass. If [the damage] is just [confined to] the gelcoat, it can be repaired easily.

Make sure to check the navigating lighting. [On] my boat [the navigation lamp sockets] need to be dabbed with dielectric grease every season.
Current boat - 2018 270 Dauntless, Twin Mercury 225 Verado
Previous boat - 2013 190 Outrage, Mercury 150 EFI - SOLD

InVision

Postby InVision » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Thank you for the reply. The fuel filter says April 2015, I am not that familiar with 2 stroke motors. How do you change the oil on a 2 stroke?

M

Boat Photos

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:17 pm

As a Nantucket owner for 48 hours now I can tell you that is a good deal. Used boats are not perfect. As long as it is solid it should be fine. Is that the one in Panama City, Fl?

InVision

Postby InVision » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Has anyone ever put a trolling motor on this model. Bow Rail is a show stopper?

M

Boat Photos

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 pm

InVision wrote:Thank you for the reply. The fuel filter says April 2015, I am not that familiar with 2 stroke motors. How do you change the oil on a 2 stroke?

M

Good point, I didn't even think that this was a 2 stroke motor.

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:17 pm

InVision wrote:Has anyone ever put a trolling motor on this model. Bow Rail is a show stopper?

M

I have seen one picture online where the owner cut the bow rail to allow for the trolling motor to deploy. Not something I would do, but its an idea.

jimh

Re: 2005 Nantucket: What about the deal?

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm

The trailer sounds like a project, thus almost no value.

Older Optimax sounds like a mechanic's annuity--reduced value. If you are "not familiar with two-stroke" engines you are in for a steep learning curve trying to maintain a 12-year-old OptiMax that has only run for 178-hours.

Missing cushions sounds like a $1,000 bill to replace.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Re cutting bow rail to install trolling motor: there is a concurrent discussion on that topic.

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Mercury Mechanic to check it for you. These [older Mercury OptiMax engines] were in the first wave of direct injection oil into cylinders--[high technology]. There are a lot of great stories of that generation Mercury engine. There are some others, also.

Begin with a check book at a good dealer.

While you are at it, price a new 150 [HP outboard engine] just so you know the whole picture.

I wish you the very best luck with this decision.

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Thank you all for the thoughts. I am hoping for a test ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed but not getting impatient.

Still looking.

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:29 pm

A short history of the Mercury outboard engines sold under the branding of OptiMax:

Mercury developed their two-stroke low-emission outboard engines by licensing the basic technology from the Orbital company of Australia, who invented the two-cycle-power-stroke direct-fuel injection technology, patented it, and offered licensing for its use. The principal distinction of the Orbital Combustion Process--the actual technology used in OptiMax--was that the fuel would be mixed with pressurized air and then the fuel-air mixture injected into the cylinder.

This unusual technology had only been used in lower-power and simpler engines, but Mercury scaled it up to engines with as much as 300-HP, or even more in some race-only engines.

The adoption of the Orbital Combustion Process in the form of the Mercury OptiMax was motivated by federal regulations requiring spark-ignition internal combustion engines, including marine engines, to reduce their exhaust gas emission by 80-percent over a ten year period of phasing in stricter emission regulations.

The first generation of the Mercury OptiMax had rather widely known and somewhat embarrassing problems in production and in operation by consumers. Reliability became so poor that Mercury took the rather unusual step of halting all production of the engine for a few months to sort out the problems and come up with solutions. The problems seemed to occur mostly in the larger displacement V6 engines, typically 200-HP and higher.

With Boston Whaler under ownership of Brunswick, the Boston Whaler boats began a gradual evolution to being pre-rigged and sold ONLY with Mercury-branded outboard engines. Thus Boston Whaler boats began to be sold with Mercury OptiMax engines.

As problems with OptiMax engines became more well-known and widespread, customers of Boston Whaler began to order boats with four-stroke-power-cycle engines instead of the OptiMax engines, and, over a few years, orders for boats with OptiMax became so few that Boston Whaler dropped the OptiMax engine as a power choice and by c.2007 the OptiMax was no longer offered with Boston Whaler boats.

To be fair, some--but certainly not all--of the problems encountered with the OptiMax engine in the field were due to poor installations, failure to follow mandatory procedures, and poor choice of oils to use with them. Chronic problems with spark plug fouling have sometimes been said to be caused by use of improper oils. It is often recommended to use only the specialty Mercury-branded oil recommended, which is priced much more than generic TCW-III oils.

Mercury tried to revive the OptiMax brand name by announcing a new generation, which for a brief time they called OptiMax The Next Generation (OTNG). That branding did not last very long, and the actual physical changes were rather few, particularly on the smaller displacement V6 engines; about the only change in those engines was in cowling decals.

More recently Mercury has just about abandoned the OptiMax brand name and given these engines the model name of ProXS. Using ProXS is a rather confusing branding with Mercury as they also use ProXS on some four-stroke-power-cycle engines.

Overall all, the smaller 2.5-liter displacement V6 OptiMax--like a 150-HP model--has been less prone to major failures than the larger engines.

You should be aware that due to the very unusual methods of the Orbital Combustion Process as employed in the Mercury OptiMax, these engines are very complicated. There are two completely separate systems of injectors, one for fuel and one for air. There are distribution manifolds, hoses, and pressure regulators for both fuel and air. These engines are complicated to maintain and particularly complicated to service. Many long-time Mercury outboard dealers and service agents are not familiar with them and don't offer service. Some that do offer service are probably not really familiar with them.

It is my general rule to own only an outboard engine whose technology I understand thoroughly, and for which I have a local dealer with outstanding reputation and extensive experience in the servicing and repair of the engine.

Thus, on that basis, I strongly recommend you consider carefully the purchase of a used Mercury OptiMax engine, and undertake a very thorough check with your local Mercury dealers and their service departments to be certain they can support the engine.

I also must mention to you that the noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) characteristics of the Mercury OptiMax earlier engines was not particularly well controlled or engineered, and these are very noisy engines. They are much noisier than every other modern outboard engine, in part due to having twice as many injectors operating.

There are also well-known problems with the air compressor, which is driven by a rubber belt from the engine crankshaft. The bearings on the compressor have high side loads and are prone to wear.

With many rubber hoses in the air and fuel distribution, the Optimax is also particularly at risk to problem with fuel quality; use of ethanol-gasoline blended fuels with higher than 10-percent ethanol content can be very harmful to rubber hoses and internal pumps and seals.

Also, engines with limited hours that have been sitting without use for more than a few months will have some inherent problems. A typical problem with an outboard engine sitting unused for a year or two will be distortion of the rubber impeller in the water pump. Since Mercury engines call for annual change of the water pump seals and impeller, such service will be immediately necessary for an engine that has been sitting for a year or more without being run.

InVision

Postby InVision » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:54 am

Wow thanks for all the details JimH.

The selling party has not allowed us to test ride the boat. I have cash in hand and he still has not answer my request for a test ride for over a week. When we looked at the boat he said his wife was highly suggesting to sell. But if he was a serious seller seems he would have put this deal to bed. I not sure he wants to sell ?-). Maybe there are some problems that he knows I am smart enough to find, not sure. Boat is nice but really would be re-powering with 4-stroke anyway... The search goes on :-)

M

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:13 pm

You need to put the boat in the water and start the OptiMax. It should crank over and in just a few turns fire up. Then take a spin and push the throttle enough to get on plane. You will find out if the engine is working properly if the boat jumps on plane. You then will know if you can live with the noise of the engine. Then run at idle for five minutes, and repeat trying to get on plane. If the engine has become loaded up with soot or carbon or oil, it should reveal itself. Then push the throttle to maximum, watch the tachometer and speedometer. The engine should accelerate to its optimum power band, usually around 5,500-RPM--but ask for the owner's manual to look up the exact engine speed range recommended as optimum. The boat speed should increase to something appropriate for the engine speed, the gear ratio, the propeller pitch, and a SLIP of about 7 to 10-percent. Use the propeller calculator to check out the performance.

Also, if you are really interested in this boat, see if Boston Whaler customer service has any performance data sheets from the original year of manufacture; they might be able to email a PDF to you if the document is not available on-line. Then you can compare the original performance data to this particular boat.

Yes, a seller who ignores a buyer with cash in hand probably does not really want to sell the boat. Typically any Boston Whaler boat that is in very good condition, has everything intact, and is prices right sells quickly.

InVision

Postby InVision » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks Jim !! My search continues...

Found another Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket. This on is a 2004 is even better condition for $21800. Comments?

2004 Nantucket

Thank you

M

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:14 pm

I owned several 190 with almost all power options. If you ask me you need at least 135 HP at the transom for this model. Stay away from either 2 or 4 stroke 115 HP. If you can get one with 150 buy it. My advise would be to look for boat with Verado . They do pop up every once a while for around 20 K.
I bought 2007 190 with 135 Verado for 19 K and helped friend get his 2008 190 for 22 K with 150 HP. I bought three 04-05 190 Nantuckets and they were all purchased for 12 K. Again if you look hard you will find them but you have to act immediately because they will sell in 24 hours at this number .Theres one on Baltimore CL right now for 18K negotiable. Its great boat and I like it the most with Verado and DTS throttle. As previously stated Optimax is extremely loud motor and complicated to maintain if things go bad.You are probably better of with carbureted 150 if you can find one reasonably listed .

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:57 am

Seller is motivated and want to sell this 2004 190 Outrage for $18,000 cash. Got 12 hours to decide. Boat sea trial was smooth and solid, but Mercury Optimax was very loud. Especially when accustomed to new 4-strokes. Would be a re-power 4-stroke candidate in a couple of years.

Is that a deal?

Thanks

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:14 am

Boat looks clean -18000 is fair price for it and it is a deal I would say. New 150 four stroke Mercury is around 10K plus install shop fee .You can get few bucks for optimax if its still running .If you like the boat and there were no problems present go for it.
I looked at that video of the boat and all looks very clean and in good shape-what is that custom railing around the motor ?-some kind of motor guard -clamp on rod holder rail ?

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Turboswing for pull play toys.

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Great idea -never seen one before -perfect solution for boats without ski -pylon

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:52 am

The Mercury 150 checked out but the compression check had a high reading cylinder. Boat ran fine and has ~160 hours on it. Original motor. WOT is 5500 rpms at 45 mph as specs say. Motor sounded a little off, hard to explain.

Reading all taken multiple times

1 - 104
2 - 108
3 - 108
4 - 130
5 - 106
6 - 105

Talked to folks and I expected all to be between 95-110.

Now I am new to Optimax motors and was wondering if any had any ideas on the high reading on cylinder 4. Verified all cylinders multiple times. Leaned to hate the plug placement :-)

Thank You,

M

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 am

Saw your post and pics on THT.I would not worry to much about slightly higher reading on one cylinder.It is almost always caused by build-up carbon on top of the piston. Ask seller if he only used Optimax oil specifically designed for them. Optimax hate to be babied and trolled below 1000 RPM for prolonged time - they need WOT and like to run hard at cruising RPM or higher . Also annual spark plugs replacement and minimum 89 octane is recommended. You mention something about motor was slightly off in your opinion. Optimax has very specific sound that no other outboard has. Theres a very noticeable ticking sound beside regular 2 stroke noise and its very recognizable at idle. Something like tic-tic-tic at higher rate. If thats what you hear its normal.
Every time I got a whaler with Optimax one of the first thing I did after purchase is take it for good long hard run staying close at maximum RPM as possible . It will burn out all the crap thats in the motor and make your OPtimax happy.
Had almost every Optimax from 75 to 225. Some had problems some not. I am very mechanicly inclined and was always able to fix them. There are 2 fuel pumps -low pressure and high pressure. They do go bad due to gunk in the gas and Ethanol. Disassembling the pump and cleaning it is not for faint of heart and is job for Certified Mercury shop.Use Mercury quick-kleen and startron fuel reatment religiously. Have good reputable water fuel water separator between fuel tank and the motor. And use boat as much as you can . Optimax is most happy when its often in the action.
Let us know how it goes.

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks for the reply. According to everything I have read one cylinder being 20% from the others is not normal. The other 5 cylinders are within 3% of each other. It is a puzzle in my mind. I have checked many compressions on 2 & 4 Stroke outboard motors. Have seen a couple which indicated problems on the outboard but usually one or two low readings. Never had I seen a single high cylinder.

Thanks

M

Boat Photos

InVision

Bought a Whaler Nantucket !!

Postby InVision » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:55 am

I found out the I did the compression test wrong. Test should be done on warm motor with all 6 plugs out and throttle wide open. So I will redo test.

I purchased the boat and will pick it up tonight. The seller had a few other buyers lined up and I did not want to lose the chance to own the 2004 Nantucket 190. It was easily the cleanest I have seen in the 6 months I have been patiently searching for one and strangely the less expensive. Plans to update motor to Mercury 4-stroke in the next year or so. Research shows this Model Mercury Optimax in good running order can get $2K-$3K or more and even parts out around $1500 is not running.

Thank you to all members who replied.

M

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:50 am

Re spark plug threading--watch out for the lowest cylinder on port side--that plug often gets cross threaded due to difficulty in reaching it.

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:59 am

Yea spark plugs are a challenge. New plugs but seems gap is awful big. Ordered shop manual.

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Congrats.You will love the boat-it has great layout and is very specious for 19 footer and it feels much larger due to wide beam and standard transom .
Theres a defect that earlier 190 had and it was corrected in later production years once whaler realized it was a problem. Look at the drain through hull on the bottom of the live well that is located behind leaning post . There is no backing nut holding it ( or any way to access it and install one )and with a time little bit of adhesive that is holding it will dry and through hull will become loose and let water inside the boat. 190 doesnt have real bilge like most of smaller whalers( beside that small 1 x 2 area towards the stern ) and it is a concern if water will drain out or stay in the boat and get absorbed by the foam that every whaler is made from if live well is used and filled with sea water . Every single Nantucket I owned had this problem . I simply didnt use live well and didnt want to risk any water logging possibility. Bottom of the live well was also paper thin and was very hard to re attach it back in place with 5200 . In later production years they added more fibers to it and used through hull with backing plastic nut before they connected hull and deck so it will stay in place for a long time .
Just keep an eye on it and bee aware of this problem. Location of the plug in the small transom compartment towards the stern and removing it with all the hoses, bilge pump ,oil container is lots of fun as well .

InVision

Postby InVision » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:38 am

Well here is a lesson learned. The 190 Nantucket/Outrage has a bilge. I did not look in it before buying this boat. Hell I didn't really know it had one. I asked what the hatch between the leaning post and the motor well was for and the seller said to put the plug in & out. Ok I got lucky it was fairly nice. But thought I would document so no other members would make my mistake.

M

IMG_7518.JPG
IMG_7518.JPG (251.95 KiB) Viewed 18446 times

Boat Photos

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Wow invision you know you got a great boat if the bilge looks immaculate like that.
Happy Whalering.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

InVision

Postby InVision » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks. The boat had not be detailed. It needs a polish and a wax badly. No spider cracking that I have found. Here is a couple of more photos. The reason I bought the boat was it was in so much better condition than the other I seen. Just needs some hull cleaning and a good wax.

M

IMG_0080-small.jpg
IMG_0080-small.jpg (99.5 KiB) Viewed 18425 times

IMG_0081-small.jpg
IMG_0081-small.jpg (84.19 KiB) Viewed 18425 times

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Motor

IMG_0100-small.jpg
IMG_0100-small.jpg (105.23 KiB) Viewed 18425 times

IMG_0102-small.jpg
IMG_0102-small.jpg (109.97 KiB) Viewed 18425 times

Boat Photos

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Bilge is cleaner than mine but geez all that going on under the cowling.

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:28 am

Not sure what you mean by what is going on under the cowling. Is something wrong in your mind with the OptiMax 150hp?

Boat Photos

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:45 am

There is a lot of "stuff" or complicated looking parts/plumbing/machinery under the cowling. If you've never looked closely at a direct injected (DI) two stroke cycle outboard engine the appearance is surprising. Non DI two stroke engines look very simple by comparison. My previously owned Evinrude FICHT DI two stroke was less complicated because unlike the Mercury Optimax it did not include an air compressor. The Evinrude was also much less noisy.

You could say the FICHT was a first generation E-Tec as the design is very similar.
Butch

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:29 am

On that first pic of the motor -right there are 3 very important parts .White canister is water fuel separator. To the left and right are low and high pressure fuel pumps.You gonna have to make custom filter wrench to remove that water separator since no standard metal wrench will be able to reach back part of it. I made one from old seat belt and piece of 6 inch plastic with a vertical cutout that you slide that belt through and saw two sides so it looks like o ring. Seat belt is soft and flexible so you will be able to slide it behind the filter. Once in position start twisting plastic handle to make it tight enough to remove the filter .

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:13 am

Well I re-checked the compression the proper way and it was better.

1-124 2-126 3-127 4-127 5-126 6-125

Here is the motor in action on muffs.

Mercury 150hp Optimax

Going to put on our boat lift in a week or two. We will see how it does...

Thanks to everyone who replied.

M

Boat Photos

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Butch said it better than me.
What Florida town did you find this boat?

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:55 pm

vze2gbs4 wrote:On that first pic of the motor -right there are 3 very important parts .White canister is water fuel separator. To the left and right are low and high pressure fuel pumps.You gonna have to make custom filter wrench to remove that water separator since no standard metal wrench will be able to reach back part of it. I made one from old seat belt and piece of 6 inch plastic with a vertical cutout that you slide that belt through and saw two sides so it looks like o ring. Seat belt is soft and flexible so you will be able to slide it behind the filter. Once in position start twisting plastic handle to make it tight enough to remove the filter .

I actually have a small canister band wrench that should work. I am delaying putting her in the water since the filter/water separator in out of stock and should be here late next week. I did change the gear lube and put new seals on the screws. The air filter is like brand new. This boat does not have a fuel filter in the bilge like some I have seen. Spark plug gap is at .40.

I wanted to put in an extra battery and a stereo but have not figured that out yet.

Any other things I show do before putting in water and storing on our boat lift?

M

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:39 pm

Well yeah-standard staff.Take a good screwdriver and go all around the boat and tighten any screw that is not tighten enough.if you have sea star steering right now is good time to add -top of some more fluid.Trim pump is notoriously getting rusted on Merc motors-you should brush some rust oleum rust protectant so it has a plastic film to protect it from sea water corrosion.add some merc quick -kleen additive so injectors get some love as well.spray entire motor and under the console with 3m crc-66 so that is treated as well -Bimini-console-seat covers should get a coat of waterproof canvas protector coat to prevent UV damage .Just usual staff.The more love you give her the more love you get in return.