2018 Dauntless 170 Cover

A conversation among Whalers
dbeach

2018 Dauntless 170 Cover

Postby dbeach » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am

Hi. I just bought a 2018 Dauntless 170 to be delivered next spring. It will be used on a lake and left on a mooring for the summer. I purchased the bow cushions, bimini top, the console cover, and the pilot seat cover.

Will these covers be sufficient for leaving on the mooring for the summeer?

Do I need anything in addition to this?

Do you recommend removing the bow cushions and the aft cushions to protect from rain and sun?

Also, I will be storing indoors for the winter.

Do you recommend getting a full cover for the winter months?

Will the console and pilot seat covers be sufficient?

Thanks!

InVision

Re: Covering a Whaler?

Postby InVision » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:32 am

If I purchased a new Boston Whaler I would want a cover to protect my investment. We have a 2004 and I am currently searching for a cover for it.
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

jimh

Re: 2018 Dauntless 170 Cover

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:53 pm

The more sun and weather are blocked from the boat, the less deterioration will occur. In summer we leave all open areas of our boat protected by a Sunbrella mooring cover.

For winter indoor storage we cover the entire boat with a heavy canvas-like material.

I would not leave expensive upholstered cushion exposed to sun and weather when the boat is not in use.

dbeach

Postby dbeach » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks for the tips. Which Sunbrella mooring cover are you using? Seems to be a lot out there. I was originally planning on just covering the console and pilot seat, but it sounds like I should be doing the whole boat?

jimh wrote:The more sun and weather are blocked from the boat, the less deterioration will occur. In summer we leave all open areas of our boat protected by a Sunbrella mooring cover.

For winter indoor storage we cover the entire boat with a heavy canvas-like material.

I would not leave expensive upholstered cushion exposed to sun and weather when the boat is not in use.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:06 pm

The mooring cover for my 1990 Boston Whaler boat was custom made for me by GRAND TRAVERSE CANVAS WORKS in Traverse City, Michigan. It was custom designed and fitted to the boat so that it could make use of many existing snap fittings which retain the weather canvas system already installed and in use. Because I was able to leave the boat at their shop for several weeks, they were able to fit my job into their workflow, which was otherwise working on a four-to-five month backlog. Traverse City Canvas did a great job and I am very pleased with their work. I would never have purchased a pre-made mooring cover because it would never have matched up with all the existing snap fittings on the boat for the weather canvas.

I picked Sunbrella fabric in the PACIFIC BLUE color so that the mooring cover matched all the existing weather canvas. Also, PACIFIC BLUE is a very traditional color, and it seems to have extremely good service life. It was one of the original colors that Sunbrella was woven in. The Sunbrella fabric from Raven Mills has a long established record of providing excellent service in uses like marine boat coverings.

jheiii

Postby jheiii » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:48 pm

I would encourage you to find a custom canvas shop in your area and they will be able to fit something that will work perfectly for your boat whether it's on the mooring or in storage.
2007 Montauk 170

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:04 am

Snaps are often used to help secure mooring covers to a boat hull. Particularly when they can also be used with other canvas shelter or convenience items.

For a small boat like your new Dauntless snaps are probably not needed and they do not contribute to a boat's appearance. The Dauntless console can provide enough of a tent pole when a cover is installed so support poles will not be needed. A stout draw string around the perimeter of the cover to secure the perimeter beneath the rub rail should be all that is required to keep the cover in place. Any minor sag or low areas present when the cover is installed will be of little concern as they should drain completely whenever the wind or water causes the boat to rock.

Close coordination with the cover fabricator before he begins work is good insurance that you will receive a quality product. The fabricator should not begins the job until the boat is at his facility so he can make careful measurements as work proceeds.

I recommend Sunbrella fabric and GORE Tenara thread for durability and long service. Sunbrella is available in various weights. Generally the heavier the better but heavier weights can be more difficult to handle and cost more, so consult your fabricator before choosing.
Butch

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 am

For the last three boats I have owned (including two new boats) I have had custom full covers made by LaPortes Products. I also am having them build a full cover for our 2004 Nantucket 190. I have been very happy with all the covers.

I recommend getting a full cover for that new Dauntless [from] whomever you decide to have make it.--M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

dbeach

Postby dbeach » Thu May 03, 2018 2:46 am

I have done a bunch of research and decided that I only need a cover for indoor storage when [the 2019 170 DAUNTLESS] is on the trailer. I don't want to spend a ton of money for a custom cover; I won't be trailering the boat with the cover, and the cover won't be exposed to sun or the elements.

What brands and material are decent value for money?

Is it best to go for a material that is cheaper and more breathable rather than water proof and sun proof?

The only potential concern I foresee is that my 20018 Dauntless 170 does not have bow rails; it has the forward grab rails. Many of the cheaper pre-made cover I see online specify "with bow rails."

Will [a pre-made cover for "bow rails"] fit [a 170 DAUNTLESS with forward grab rails]?

Where are covers [designed for a 170 DAUNTLESS] without bow rails sold?

Thanks!

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 03, 2018 7:33 am

The least expensive cover for a boat stored indoors on a trailer will be a tarp.

If the cover is for use indoors, I don't understand the concern that the material for the cover be waterproof and resistant to ultraviolet radiation.

For indoor storage, the principal functions of the cover would be to keep dirt and critters out of the boat.

The Sunbrella material made by Glen Raven Mills has been a good material for boat covers, demonstrated by being the top choice for boat canvas for the last 50-years.

The more easily the cover can be put in place and later removed, the more likely the cover will be used.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu May 03, 2018 9:45 am

dbeach wrote:...Will [a pre-made cover for "bow rails"] fit [a 170 DAUNTLESS with forward grab rails]?
Where are covers [designed for a 170 DAUNTLESS] without bow rails sold?

From what you are saying above you have a 170 Dauntless with bow and side rails.

[Below is a link to a website that sells] a semi-custom cover; I bought one. It fits my Whaler and engine very well for storage, and I even trailer long distances with it.
https://www.iboats.com/shop/boat-covers.html?find=boston-whaler-170-dauntless-with-bow-rail-with-side-rails-2012---2018-10150892&finder=22

Four different types and prices; many colors available. The site explains the advantage and disadvantage of each [cover].

Five years later and thousands of miles my cover is still in great shape.

[Links to images]
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2F8xJ03XZrfoAfiF2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NxprhtftjfaslmaL2
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 03, 2018 12:39 pm

DUTCH--I followed the link you gave to the vendor you endorse, but I only saw prices and descriptions, and no images showing the cover. The link you provided shows options for different materials. When you report about the durability of your cover you do not mention what material your ordered. You do not mention the price you paid.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri May 04, 2018 1:32 pm

duplicate deleted by me
see below
Last edited by Dutchman on Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
EJO

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri May 04, 2018 1:40 pm

Jim sorry that was 5 years ago and at that time I paid approx $305 for a 8 year warranty full boat cover as sown in the picture of my boat.
I opted to go for that material as it was $275 plus less that a Sunbrella with 10 year warranty. All I can remember Sunbrella cover was slightly heavier/thicker than mine and the breathability was slightly better that's why it is top of the line. For the same price of the Sunbrella I can buy 2 of these 7-8 year type and get 1-1/2 times the life and warranty out of it, especially with the sale going on.
I don't see the material I chose offered for this Dauntless here, but my cover was Taylor made brand and something Dura???????.
It is up to the OP to determine which price level he wants to buy.
They call these covers semi-custom but to me they could have called them custom as I think it fits as good over my CC boat with bow and side rails and the standard OEM engine. They are not picked of a shelf, you have to wait for them as they are sewn to order.
I do have to mention that I store the boat inside (covered) here in Michigan and she might be stored (and driven) with cover 4 weeks during the boating season, never the less the cover fits and looks like new.
EJO