Boston Whaler introduces the REALM

A conversation among Whalers
Dutchman

Boston Whaler introduces the REALM

Postby Dutchman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:29 pm

[Is the Boston Whaler 350 REALM a] new model?
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

msirof2001

Re: Boston Whaler introduces the REALM

Postby msirof2001 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Further boosting my confidence in making my recent decision to buy an Everglades. I don't know where to start on this one. To me, [the 350 REALM] looks lopsided. And looks like [Boston Whaler] shuffled the architectural drawings from the Outrage and Conquest like two decks of cards into one and then grabbed all of the parts and built it. Best of luck to them.

Maybe I'm totally seeing things the wrong way and maybe [the 350 REALM] will be a hit. I with they would just take the Outrage line to hard-core fishing--more like Everglades--Vantage to hard-core family, and Conquest like an aqua-motorhome-camper. Three distinct genres. This is just odd to me. But again, I could be totally full of it. I never would have dreamed of such a thing in my wildest dreams. Best of luck, though.
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Yes, the 350 REALM is a new model. The REALM was mentioned several weeks ago, when the 2018 170 MONTAUK was introduced. Boston Whaler's website has all details about the 350 REALM. See

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/family-ove ... at-models/

Since the 350 REALM is a 35-foot boat that probably will cost about $800,000 (or more), I hardly think there are a lot of potential buyers reading this thread. Certainly, I am not in any way interested in a $800,000 boat, so I really don't have a strong opinion about the 350 REALM. Over the past few years I have come to realize that the people running Boston Whaler know far more than I do--and probably far more than anyone who participates in these forums--about what sort of boat will sell into a market at a $800,000 price tag.

I repeat my oft-told story of how I was completely surprised to see that about a decade ago at the Miami International Boat Show, in the first four hours the show floor was open (and not open to the general public) that the 345 CONQUEST, then a modest $425,000 boat, generated six orders. Ever since then there seems to be no upper bound to how much a Boston Whaler boat can cost and still sell quite well.

Here is the press release formally announcing the 350 REALM:

EDGEWATER, Fla. (August 25, 2017) — Boston Whaler is taking boaters beyond familiar territory and into an exciting future with the all-new 350 Realm. Combining the open cockpit of a center console with the convenience of a cabin boat, the 350 Realm is designed to empower boaters seeking to share new experiences with family and friends.

The Realm was unveiled this week in Sarasota during a series of events kicking off Boston Whaler’s 60th anniversary year. President Nick Stickler spoke to a crowd of customers, dealers, local officials and members of the press: “We are thrilled to introduce the 350 Realm, the first in an exciting new model family. Our goal was to redefine the current express cruiser market to better meet the evolving needs of the customer, and with the Realm we have achieved a perfect balance of capability and comfort, spaciousness and convenience. By enabling a variety of activities — entertaining, offshore fishing, diving, long-distance cruising, and beyond — the 350 Realm turns the possibility of ‘adventure’ into an achievable reality.”

Purposeful comfort is a hallmark of the Realm, including versatile seating solutions throughout. The large open bow features a portside walk-through for easy access, with a wide lounge seat forward of the console and forward deck seating opposite. An optional bow table and filler cushion add versatility, while an optional bow shade provides sun protection for the entire zone.

The 350 Realm’s cockpit is designed to facilitate a variety of activities and host a crowd in comfort. Notably, every seat on the helm deck includes a footrest. The helm bench, with armrests and flip-up bolsters, offers ergonomic positioning for captain and passengers, and turns to face aft. Aft of the helm seat, a clever new mezzanine seat converts to face forward or aft, making this a natural gathering space when at anchor. The mezzanine seat also houses a massive built-in insulated cooler (also available refrigerated) with capacity for days’ worth of drinks and snacks. All the way aft, a convertible bench seat folds out from the transom, and tucks neatly away to provide extra room to maneuver.

For active boaters, purposeful features in the cockpit include large in-floor fish boxes and optional rod holders; a standard transom livewell; a convenient portside dive door; and a cockpit prep area with sink and grill or optional additional livewell. And if the weather conditions take a turn, the boat’s canvas weather curtains go up effortlessly.

Below deck, the 350 Realm’s cabin delivers considerable comfort. The V-berth offers a perfect place to duck out of the sun or tuck the kids in for a nap, and converts into a double berth to accommodate overnight stays. Boaters will appreciate the ease and privacy of the fully enclosed, stand-up VacuFlush head system and vanity sink. Other amenities include a 28-inch flatscreen TV, a microwave and ample cabinet storage.
“Our customers enjoy knowing they can rely on their boat to ensure the comfort, safety and happiness of their friends and family, even as they explore new areas and new activities — in fact, they demand it,” said Boston Whaler Vice President of Sales, Marketing and Customer Service Jeff Vaughn. “For the savvy boater, the 350 Realm provides the ideal mix of capability and comfort to empower and share the joy of discovery.”
Performance and handling reflect Boston Whaler’s unrivaled construction and engineering. The 350 Realm’s precision-crafted V-hull includes Variable Running Surface for a remarkably soft, safe, dry ride, no matter the conditions. The helm features an elegant and functional console design, with state-of-the-art dual Raymarine® widescreen displays. Triple Mercury® Verado outboards provide reliable, efficient power, and are available with Joystick Piloting for effortless docking. Additional options with Joystick Piloting include Skyhook, for automatic station keeping, and Seakeeper gyroscopic stabilization for dramatically reduced boat roll.

“The Boston Whaler legacy is built on our commitment to innovation and excellence,” said Stickler. “As we head into our 60th year, the 350 Realm is a fitting addition to that legacy, offering an exciting new realm of possibility for our boaters to explore.”

About Boston Whaler: For nearly 60 years, Boston Whaler has been building superior quality unsinkable runabouts, cruisers and center console boats. Founded in 1958 and currently headquartered in Edgewater, Fla., the company’s unique foam-cored construction process contributes not only unsurpassed flotation, but also superior ride characteristics and durability. The current product line ranges from 11 to 42 feet and is distributed around the world by a network of exceptional dealers. For more information about The Unsinkable Legend™, please visit http://www.bostonwhaler.com. Boston Whaler is owned by Brunswick Corporation, the largest marine manufacturer in the world.

If Boston Whaler sells five of these, they'll add $4-million to their revenue. Imagine how many c.1960 13 STANDARD hulls that represents.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:42 pm

jimh wrote:If Boston Whaler sells five of these, they'll add $4-million to their revenue. Imagine how many c.1960 13 STANDARD hulls that represents.

Yea and I'm pretty sure the profit margin on those more-than-25-foot Whalers is a lot higher than on our beloved smaller ones.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:13 pm

Compare five sales to a whole bunch and a similar amount of paperwork for each.