Update to FAQ Q2 re HIN

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Update to FAQ Q2 re HIN

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am

I have made some updates to the FAQ answer for Q2 regarding Hull Identification Number decoding. In particular, I have included a table of two-letter abbreviations that appear in one of the internal technical documents from Boston Whaler identifying particular HIN production code sequence prefixes. A few of the two-letter combinations remain undeciphered. If anyone has some insight, please share it with me via email.

I also included further examples of how to decode a HIN for a post 1972 hull.

Questions about identification of boats from their HIN remain popular, and consulting the FAQ Answers Q2 is a good place to start.

Q2: Where is the Hull Identification Number?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

The long-standing policy of eschewing use of these two-letter codes (used by Boston Whaler in some of their internal documents) in discussion about Boston Whaler boats conducted here continues. Use of the codes only obscures meaning, and the purpose of the website is never to obscure information but to reveal it. For example, we will continue to discuss a model called "Montauk" and never employ the two-letter code used internally by Boston Whaler in a few technical documents for that model.