1976 Montauk Fair Price

A conversation among Whalers
enggass

1976 Montauk Fair Price

Postby enggass » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:36 pm

What would you consider a fair price for a 1976 Montauk in good shape 1997 Suzuki 65-HP, a fish finder, GPS, radio, and bilge pump?

What range should I be looking at?

I am somewhat new to boating and looking at buying.

Some pics of a specific boat are at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1c0a30add52i ... fQbSa?dl=0

Thanks.

ByronH

Re: 1976 Montauk Fair Price

Postby ByronH » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:41 pm

I recently purchased a 76 Montauk - fresh water. It had the "four man seat", casting platform and the original Mills enclosure and an 89 Evinrude 90 hp and a decent trailer. Paid just over $6000 and think it is a good deal. The boat was in generally good shape, had some holes filled where it had been repowered. Engine was in good shape but I am repowering anyway because I don't like carburetors, the smell of raw gasoline and difficulty starting. Hope this helps.

Landlocked

Postby Landlocked » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Appears to be two separate boats at the link. One has an older Mercury and options such as the leaning cushions behind the cooler seat. The other has the Suzuki motor which I assume is the one you are talking about. Bottom paint, updated Suzuki shifter rather than Morse, and plywood doors on the console, and plastic tank are serious negatives to me but all can be replaced with original for less than a grand. Boat itself looks clean. I'd ask myself what I was willing to pay without the motor as a motor of that age will most likely need replacing in not too many years. For me, I'd estimate hull and trailer value at about 4K knowing I'd have to re-power and I'd want to replace doors, tank, and shifter. With newer 4 stroke power and those changes I think the boat would easily be worth 10-12K in the right market.

enggass

Postby enggass » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Yeah. Sorry about the mixed images. I ended up going with the newer 1989 w/1989 90hp Merc. Overall great shape although the outboard is not performing up to specs. I intend to Repower at some point. I thought it was smarter to go with a hull that he 13 less years on it. Came with original unused Bimini, Mills console and RPS cover, 2 life jackets, paddles plus a bunch of other extras. Original Boston Whaler sales pack with manuals too. Paid $7500. @ByronH : Any pics of you ‘76?