Outrage 22 Stored on Roller Trailer

A conversation among Whalers
MPKehoe09

Outrage 22 Stored on Roller Trailer

Postby MPKehoe09 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi all. I know Boston Whaler strongly recommends that their hulls are stored and transported on bunk trailers to evenly distribute the weight of the hull across the bunks and keel. If I recall, this is due to the hull construction and generally speaking, the weakness of the glass along the hull. Most of the weight should be supported by the reinforced keel. However, I am looking at purchasing a late 1980's Outrage 22 which has been stored on a roller trailer. The registration on the boat is dated back to 1998, which leads me to believe it has been sitting for almost 20 years. After this observation, should I turn and run away?

If not, what should I be looking for if I get to inspect the boat?

Would damage or indentations be blatant orobvious?

Lastly--which in and of itself may be a deal breaker--a tree limb fell on the boat at one point while it was being stored. The console is crushed, and needs replacing. The seller ( a boat yard) said there was no other damage, aside from the console and outboard cowling.

Would the impact of a tree limb falling on the console, with enough force to practically crush it, bring concern about the shock absorbed by the hull on the roller trailer?

Would a force such as this concern you about the integrity of the deck where the console attaches?

From photographs, the rest of the hull looks solid and in fair condition. However, the boat would need a substantial over[haul] this winter.

Any thoughts on its value?

[The c.1988 OUTRAGE 22 boat is] being sold with a 2004 Johnson 150-HP with no cowling--cowling was damaged during incident. I am trying to get just the hull, as the 150 is way under-power for a 22 Outrage.

Looking forward to hearing your input.

NOTA BENE: I deleted the attached images of the boat. The images were very small, but had enormous file size. If you wish readers to estimate the value of a boat based on images, you will have to get some better images to show us, and please do not use inefficient PNG encoding for them. Images the size you posted should have a file size of about 10-Kbyte, not 0.5-MByte--jimh

jimh

Re: Outrage 22 Stored on Roller Trailer

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Replacing the crushed console will be a big problem, unless you get lucky and find an original Boston Whaler center console no longer attached to its boat.

I would be concerned about the trailer being a floppy-roller type trailer. If there is any deformation of the hull you should be able to see it by sighting down the hull surface with your eye close to the hull. I would also check for any delamination using the tap-with-small-plastic-face-hammer method.

The outboard engine without cowling is another problem, but if it runs well it will have some value--maybe you can sell it to someone who has a nice cowling and an engine that does not run.

You are buying a big project. Don't pay too much for it. I'd offer $1,500.

MPKehoe09

Postby MPKehoe09 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks for the reply, Jim.
Not sure what happened with the images, but i'll include a link to the Craig's List ad.
https://longisland.craigslist.org/bod/d ... 91309.html

The boat is way overpriced in my opinion.
To me, the 150hp Johnson (with or without a cowling) on a 22 Outrage is useless.
I'v asked if the seller would sell without power, and has declined.

I agree with you that the console is my biggest challenge.
I have accepted that it will be unlikely to restore using original components.

My intent would be to purchase a new console, and outfit with controls, gauges, electronics, and etc.

I am certainly up for a project, but agree that it will be substantial.
Given that it's also been sitting since 1998, I'd pretty much gut and replace.
- New Console
- New Leaning Post
- Replace/Re-upholster rear bench seat
- Repower with (new to me) 200-225hp Yamaha
- New Controls
- New Gauges
- New Batteries/Shut-Off Switch
- New Switches/Busses/Fuses/Wiring
- Etc.

My offer (I suppose too generous??) was double what you had recommended; $3k.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:22 am

I always get a laugh when sellers have older Boston Whaler boats that are really a wreck and in awful condition, but then emphasize the intrinsic value of a Boston Whaler boat. As far as I am concerned, the value of all used boats--including Boston Whaler boats--in based on their condition. You have to ask yourself: why invest $10,000 and a thousand hours of work to restore this OUTRAGE 22, when you could buy one in much better condition for $10,000 more than this guy is asking, avoid all the work, and have very clean, all-original boat?

Marko888

Postby Marko888 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:19 am

The top aft edge of the transom shows a crack across the full width. This may indicate some moisture in the transom, which is repairable, but adds more uncertainty to the health of the hull. I too would suggest looking for another candidate.
Mark
1984 Outrage Cuddy 22

Stayinstrewn

Postby Stayinstrewn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Ive seen this boat at the marina next to the Port Jeff Ferry dock. I called about it and considered it for maybe a couple grand. I'd say $2,000 cash.

It's been sitting uncovered for years and needs lots of elbow grease, but go for it and make it your own.

Might need to add fuel tank or certainly at least new fuel lines to your list. Also while you're at it, with the console and leaning post off, you probably should remove the deck and thoroughly inspect it, and replace the wood core if there's any delamination.
Wasque - 1979 Outrage 22, Honda 225

Stayinstrewn

Postby Stayinstrewn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Oh, and dont worry about the rollers. Mine has sat on one for years. I sanded every square inch of the bottom last spring and there's not a single indent anywhere on that hull.
Wasque - 1979 Outrage 22, Honda 225

Marko888

Postby Marko888 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:34 pm

I respectfully disagree with the previous post regarding roller trailers. I’ve seen both an Outrage 22 and Outrage 18 with minor depressions from sitting on a roller trailer. It will really depend on how the said roller trailer supports the boat, and how many rollers are sharing the load. Fewer rollers = higher potential for deformation, due to the point loading.
Mark
1984 Outrage Cuddy 22

floater

Postby floater » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 am

I have a 1988 Revenge Wt 20 and it sits on a roller trailer. It has 20 rollers. I replaced the original black ones with polyurethane ones two years ago. They work and hold up great. No marks of any kind on boat hull and no depressions of any kind.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:24 am

I've used both roller support and bunk support boat trailers. In my experience roller trailers have never offered any advantage. They cost more to buy and to maintain, launching and retrieving are more difficult, adjusting the rollers for a perfect fit is time consuming and difficult. Roller trailers can and have damaged some hulls and they are specifically not recommended for use with Boston Whaler hulls.

I can understand why someone who buys a Boston Whaler sitting on a roller trailer would not care to replace it with a bunk trailer. Some have had the good fortune not to have had their hulls damaged by the rollers although others have not been so lucky. What I can't understand is why someone would advocate generally for the use of roller trailers for our boats.

I wonder how many have replaced an old bunk trailer with a new roller trailer or an old roller trailer with another new roller trailer for a Boston Whaler boat. Care to chime in?
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 am

Floppy roller trailers are not endorsed for use with classic Boston Whaler boat hulls.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 am

The only roller(s) on a Boston Whaler trailer should be a keel roller(s) and one for the winch strap.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Jay Fitz

Re: Effect of Floppy Roller Trailers on Unibond Hulls

Postby Jay Fitz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm

jimh wrote:Floppy roller trailers are not endorsed for use with classic Boston Whaler boat hulls.

Why is the glass or build style of a Boston Whaler hull more susceptible to roller [damage] than any other boat? I've heard for years that roller trailers are not recommended for Whalers, but never heard the specific "why"?

jimh

Re: Effect of Floppy Roller Trailers on Unibond Hulls

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:27 pm

The concern with a Unibond hull and storage of the boat on a trailer with floppy rollers is for possible delamination of the bond between the laminate and the foam which might be created by the pressure and action of a floppy roller working on the hull surfaces in areas not intended to bear a lot of weight. Rollers SHOULD be used on the keel of a Unibond hull, but not on the hull bottom area between the chine and the keel. The keel is laminated with sufficient strength to bear the weight of the boat in contact with a roller.

The Unibond hull is designed to have a very rigid structure and to not flex The thickness of the laminate outer skin is probably less than in most fiberglass molded boats, but the overall stiffness and rigidity of the hull is greater due to the bond of the laminate skin and foam, and from the double hull construction.

buzzardsbay

Postby buzzardsbay » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37 am

An above post noted quite correctly you can diagnose whether a roller trailer has led to deformation above rollers bearing on the hull.Just lean down with a flashlite and sight along the hull. If there is deformation it can be readily seen. If I were buying a classic Whaler for real short money and there was moderate deformation here and there, I'd just try to forget it . After all, what's going to happen ? You could I suppose, take the Whaler off the trailer , drill a
hole at the spot and inject epoxy, assuming the foam is dry.