1989 WJ Mills Bimini Top install instructions.

A conversation among Whalers
enggass

1989 WJ Mills Bimini Top install instructions.

Postby enggass » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 am

I just picked up a 1989 Montauk with original Bimini Top that was never installed. I DO NOT have the mounting hardware.

Where could I find [mounting hardware] and instructions for mounting[?]

The hull appears to have the hole locations where the main hardware attaches on inside of hull.

Please send me illustrations of how it's atached? Thanks.
Last edited by enggass on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimh

Re: 1989 Bimini Top

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Look for a label from the maker. Contact the maker for advice.

enggass

1989 WJ Mills Bimini Top Install

Postby enggass » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:05 pm

WJ Mills. Their website is terrible. Someone here must have installed one. Anybody?

enggass

Re: 1989 WJ Mills Bimini Top install instructions.

Postby enggass » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 am

Does anyone with similar year and installed Bimini have any pics you could post? Does the top fold down inside or outside of rails?

enggass

Postby enggass » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:47 pm

I now know my top folds within the rails. Also, all 5 eye straps are installed. The only thing I am missing are the (2) Chrome Side Mount Hinge w/screws. The holes for these are already in place at 45º on both port and starboard sides - per the instructions from WJ Mills. I just need the parts. Does anyone with similar top have any pics to show me what these hinges look like? Thanks.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Regarding how terrible the website for MILLSCANVAS.COM, might be:

--they are really professional canvas makers--for about five generations. Judge them on their canvas products and not on their web design

--the website, although described as "terrible", clearly says the following:

Today, Wm. J. Mills & Co. can supply canvas for every available Whaler® model--through your dealer or your local marina, or directly to you. Please contact us for more information about our Boston Whaler® capabilities and parts.

I don't understand the reticence to contact the Wm. J. Mills & Co. via telephone--they are modern enough to have a telephone--and inquire with them about the deck mounting hinge needed for installation of their canvas on a Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18.

I am not sure exactly what your expectations were for the Wm. J. Mills & Co. website. Do you expect they will have on their website a complete listing of their entire inventory of all parts used in making canvas for all Boston Whaler boats?

Do you expect the Wm. J. Mills & Co. to have every set of instructions for every canvas product they ever made available for you to download?

I think you ought to approach this with a bit of perspective: here is a firm that made canvas for a Boston Whaler boat 28 years ago. They are still in business. They still have the patterns to make more canvas. They probably still have all the parts. You just need to contact them. I am not sure why you think that this forum is supposed to be a conduit for you to obtain information from Wm. J. Mills & Co. Pick up the telephone and call them. Also, I would not make the first thing you tell them that you think their website is terrible.

enggass

Postby enggass » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:33 pm

I’m sorry, I did not mean to offend you or WJ Mills. Just looking for some help. Thank you.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:28 pm

If the hinge you need is not a common 90-degree hinge--and it very well may NOT be that type--you may have to get it from Mills.

When I installed some aftermarket canvas on my little SPORT 15 I had to get hinges with an angle offset. Boston Whaler designed the gunwale surface to not be flat, but rather at an angle, so it would shed water. You need a hinge with the base made to accommodate the appropriate angle. Sometimes you cannot get those special hinges from the big-box vendors; you have to get them from the boutique vendors, like Mills.