Plans for or Buy Stern Bench Seat for 1989 Montauk

A conversation among Whalers
enggass

Plans for or Buy Stern Bench Seat for 1989 Montauk

Postby enggass » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:07 pm

Where I can find plans to build a rear bench seat for my 1989 Montauk?

Where can I purchase a rear bench seat that would fit a 17' classic hull?
{Your] ideas for options [for a rear bench seat are] welcome. Thank you. --Steve

jimh

Re: Plans for or Buy Stern Bench Seat for 1989 Montauk

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:26 pm

I don't recall seeing a factory option for a bench seat across the stern of a Boston Whaler c.1989 MONTAUK 17 boat. I have browsed through several catalogues from Boston Whaler from that era, and I did not see any sort of OEM stern bench seat fitted to a MONTAUK, or to any other 17-foot models. Generally the seating accommodations on a classic MONTAUK are a reversible pilot seat (RPS) at the center console, and then the stern cockpit is completely clear. On that basis, I don't know of any place you could find plans from Boston Whaler for building a bench seat for a c.1989 MONTAUK 17 that would fit across the stern.

If you wanted to install a bench seat in the stern cockpit, you could model it after the wooden seats seen in the much earlier 16-foot model called the EASTPORT. See the reference section for examples;

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/models.html#eastport

It appears that the stern bench seat in the EASTPORT 16 was mounted in a manner similar to the thwart seats in the smaller boats: a mahogany plank seat riser was fixed to the small shelf or ledge on the inwale of the hull, and the wooden bench seat was probably fastened to the riser; there was probably a center support for the seat to help prevent any bending under load.

The WOOD LOCATING DIAGRAM available here linked from the reference article about the 16/17-foot hull shows where reinforcement is located so a riser could be fastened securely to the hull; see callout D.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/graphics/17wood1190x743.jpeg

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Have you considered the effect of adding seating at the transom of a classic Montauk? Do you envision two or more passengers riding on the seat while a helmsman or a helmsman and companion are using the RPS? Does the Montauk have the power to quickly get onto plane with extra weight aft with the existing propeller?

There could be a reason your Montauk was never offered for sale with transom seating.
Butch

frontier

Postby frontier » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 pm

The 1993 and 1994 Boston Whaler brochures have a picture of a Montauk optional stern seat. You might contact Boston Whaler and see if prints are available for that unit. Specialty Marine sells a stern seat for a classic Montauk also. We've had 2 of those over the years in different year Montauks - they fit well and were good quality.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:05 am

frontier wrote:The 1993 and 1994 Boston Whaler brochures have a picture of a Montauk optional stern seat.

I think you are talking about an upholstered wrap-around seat. It is not exactly a bench seat, or something you could easily build yourself.