Anchor recommendations

A conversation among Whalers
InVision

Anchor recommendations

Postby InVision » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:40 am

So we have a 190 Nantucket and when fishing we use a shallow water rod type anchor when 6-feet or less. We have a serious main anchor with 20-feet of chain on it. But we are finding we fish in 10 to 15-feet deep water; the shallow water anchor is too short and the main anchor is a pain. So looking for a small anchor that will hold us in place with little or no wind or current and easy to deploy.

Any suggestions on which type?

Thank you.

M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

jimh

Re: Anchor recommendations

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 pm

There was a lively discussion not too long ago on anchors for 170 MONTAUK;

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2002&p=12297

There were mentions of a Chene anchor and an aluminum Fortress.

Were I in the market for a second anchor, a lunch hook anchor, I'd probably get the Fortress.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 pm

I've found both the Chene and Fortress anchors work well in just about any bottom material. When attempting to anchor in fast moving currents the aluminum Fortress can sail in the water due to it's very light weight. As I sometimes need to anchor in fast running water while fishing I find the Chene better serves my all round lunch hook needs.
Butch

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:49 am

I would get a mushroom anchor and just keep it as a spare in a bucket. They are relatively compact and have ok holding, and sufficient if you are just trying to fish for a few hours, assuming the bottom type is acceptable.

I have the same concern when fishing, big anchor and chain is just hassle, mushroom anchor is way easier and cleaner setup. I keep a couple clip-on cannon ball weights if i need to add to it.